Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's your "most fun" build?

For me it was building my rust=bucket diorama. Specifically because I did not have to care at all about the finish of the truck, or anything like that, because I was essentially destroying it. LOL The other part of the build was that it took me to a realm of ultimate experimentation. I melted the tirea, and molded putty to get the flat look, I peeled at the seat with an exacto knife and stuffed bits of a Q-tip in it to simulate torn seats, I found out Pantene hairspray reacts great with acrylic paint to get the salted/white effect in the rust/paint, I also used rock salt to simulate the tempered glass that's shattered on the dash and glued some to clear parts sheet and stuck in the window frame. And finally used earth tone pastels to get the dusted and weathered look.

How about the rest of you? Does anyone have a personal favorite or "the one" in the build ups that stands out above the rest for you?

DSC02397.jpg

Out of all the models I'll probably build, this one will be among my favorites if not the favorite...........I tried to "stretch the envelope" with this build as it has some working stuff I've never tried previously.

Working windows, working "air" suspension, among a few..........even after 6 years I look at it from time to time and think........."Hey, this still looks pretty good!" :lol:

A lot of you have seen this before.......but for those of you newbies............here's my '58 Chevy Impala.

P5110395-vi.jpg

P5110396-vi.jpg

P5110403-vi.jpg

P5110425-vi.jpg

P5110402-vi.jpg

In the above pic it suffered a mishap when taking pics.............the exhaust tips broke on the ends! They have since been reattached with pins this time! :mrgreen:

This build was fun also because there was a lot of info out there on the car..............not to mention I had help with a couple Chevy clubs in getting some of the details. :D

Guest roadkill2525

My favorite build is the one Im doing now, a 1986 Chevy Monte Carlo notchback.

Exterior: Model Master Regal Flame Red with gold stripe decals

Interior: Dark Tan

Engine: Chevy Engine Red

Transmission: Semi-Gloss Black

Cylinder Heads: Flat Aluminum

Intake: Magnesium Metalizer

Chassis: Semi-Gloss Black

Will try to get pics tonight.

I think it was this one. I designed and built the body from basswood, and enjoyed bring techniques and media from building stick/tissue airplanes into the car side. It's actually a pretty simple model, and maybe that's part of it's charm.

29woody-1.jpg

29woody-2.jpg

Then again, it could be the primered '50 pickup :wink:

50fordtruck-1.jpg

50fordtruck-2.jpg

My Fave is still my 29 Rat Rod Pickup... Everything about this build just fell together. I tried a bunch of new ideas, kitbashing like I hadn't tried before, paint techniques, etc... I also ripped the engine out af my finished Corvette Grand Sport to use in it! :shock:

17_jpgphwj4PAB5sXp24gM-vi.jpg18_jpgphwj4PABODQ2cApI-vi.jpg

20_jpgphwj4PABzrNS-vi.jpg23_jpgphwj4PABxmqxKrxr-vi.jpg

Wow - most FUN build?

I think it'd probably have to be the BattleBuggy. It just kinda fell together (well, with the help of a pair of diagonal cutters, razor saws, X-ACTO knife, some sheet styrene and a bunch of ZAP-filler) over a period of less than two weeks.

battlebuggy10.jpg

battlebuggy07.jpg

battlebuggy09.jpg

My most recent fun build was just a couple of weeks back. I built this old Lindberg "Drag Queen" 1/32 mid-engined T-bucket straight from the box, with the exception of a little front end lowering and some snaps as wheel discs... build time? 25 hrs.

dragqueen14.jpg

dragqueen12.jpg

dragqueen13.jpg

Bill, I saw your 58 and the Corvette last summer in the Museum in Stamford. I always enjoy seeing your work.

My most fun builds are either the wacky stuff I do or some of the restored gluebombs I have done recently

sandshark1.jpg

metrorail5.jpg

tc1.jpg

tc3.jpg

These were FUN builds. I build a lot of serious stuff, too. I get a different satisfaction from the replicas.

This one is probably the funniest AND fastest build I've ever done. The parts went together very easy. It's a curbside , it has very few details and that's why it was fast and easy to build! Also, it came out EXACTLY the way I wanted!!

ecdf8fc8.jpg

The most fun I have had building a kit was my R/M C6-R. I just wanted to see if I could build it and make it "look" good with a 2 week time frame. It was fast and fun. A quick build like this can get you out of a rut.

Some folks aren't real happy with the kit as it hasn't all the details, but it looks well represented to my eye and again it was FUN.

14cc6r-vi.jpg

Chris

For me it was this one...

Trat-vi.jpg

The T-bucket is a 1/25th scale model. The figure came from the Boot Hill Express with modifications. On the floor is a red tool box and the battery. A revolver sits in the drivers lap. He's wearing tattered jeans and his bony feet are on the peddles. His hand is on the shift lever.

P1010199-vi.jpg

Engine is a V12 built up from two V8's. Lots of scratchbuilding here.

P1010189-vi.jpg

Lic plate is tin foil. Fuel tank is a modified piece from the Tom Daniel Piewagon.

P1010193-vi.jpg

Features working steering and a see through radiator made up of photoetched screen stacked to acheave believeable thickness. Note the antifreeze stains on the radiator.

P1010198-vi.jpg

P1010192-vi.jpg

8)

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/lor...=HongQirear.jpg

rear

This one was fun, because of its weirdness. Still, alot of mods to make it appear like the real thing. Used 1/20th scale S10 suspension, Otaki Ford engine with "FORD" removed from valve covers. Holes in frame filled with sheet styrene. Tamiya Paint. This is Trumpeter's very first car kit, the Hong Qi CA770 Limousine.