Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Bad Benz...finally finished!

Harry P.

• 11 months later...

Poking Harry...so when are we going to see this Under Glass, or did I miss it?

No, you didn't miss it.

I just don't have any way of photographing it on a clean background. The thing is huge... I would need some sort of photo sweep and a fairly serious lighting set up, neither of which I have... :angry:

No, you didn't miss it.

I just don't have any way of photographing it on a clean background. The thing is huge... I would need some sort of photo sweep and a fairly serious lighting set up, neither of which I have... :lol:

Nor need. A Model that large will be at home outside at one of the local "Park Preserves" as y'all call them A bright sunny day....:lol: Oh sorry Harry your in Chicago...Well June will be here soon, or fly down here with it and I'll shoot it for you....Lots of natural light here ;) ;) :lol:

I just don't have any way of photographing it on a clean background... I would need some sort of photo sweep and a fairly serious lighting set up, neither of which I have... :lol:

Stop the BS Harry. Sometimes the sun shines in Chicago. You "can do anything" in Photoshop-remember????? :lol:

Make it happen-inquiring eyes want to know...

Nor need. A Model that large will be at home outside at one of the local "Park Preserves" as y'all call them A bright sunny day....:lol: Oh sorry Harry your in Chicago...Well June will be here soon, or fly down here with it and I'll shoot it for you....Lots of natural light here ;) ;) :lol:

Actually it was nice and sunny today. Really! No kidding!!! :lol:

Harry ......this has to be the most beautiful model I have ever seen.......I love those old classic`s.......here is a photo of one of my dad`s cars.......I will be making him a replica soon......I need to find a kit that I can work with?.......Beautiful work Harry.

duesy10001.jpg

Harry ......this has to be the most beautiful model I have ever seen.......I love those old classic`s.......here is a photo of one of my dad`s cars.......I will be making him a replica soon......I need to find a kit that I can work with?.......Beautiful work Harry.

There's a Bandai 1/16 Duesenburg Weymann boattail kit on Ebay for big $:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1933-DUESENBERG-BOATTAIL-SJ-1-16-MODEL-WEYMANN-/270729759601?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f08c04b71

I never built one, but guess it would be along the lines of the '37 Packards as far as detail. Lots of scratchbuilding, and it has wheel disks. I don't know if you have the option of wire wheels. Otherwise, it'll have to be a 1/24 Monogram Duesey.

No, you didn't miss it.

I just don't have any way of photographing it on a clean background. The thing is huge... I would need some sort of photo sweep and a fairly serious lighting set up, neither of which I have... :D

I wish I could find the pictures I took of mine years ago. I may have the negatives in storage. At the time, I lived near a park that had a small concrete stage on a slight slope. The uphill side where I positioned the model was about 3' high. I took pics outside on a beautiful day using a 35mm camera w/ a 28mm wide angle lens. I had parked my car next to the stage, and by happy accident, the MB pics had a little of the Chevy showing, looking like it was parked next to it in some shots. The far end of the stage blended in the the grass in the distance, so it worked well. I had a Bulgarian friend at work who knew his classics cars, convinced it was a real car (I kept telling him it was a model,) and I had to bring the model in to prove it, lol! My model didn't look as nice as Harry's, either. I should have painted the whitewalls, too; improves the look and breaks up that massive black body. I wish Pocher would have done a production body like the 1/24 Italeri 540K.

Edited by Jim Gibbons

duesy10001.jpg

Wow, I'm jealous. You probably know more about where to start with a kit than I do, but I know the Hubley/Gabriel metal kit and the Monogram SJ are readily available out there. Both look like they'll take quite a bit of modification to replicate the real one.

HubleySJ.png

monogramsj.jpg

Just thought I'd toss in some pictures until Harry awes us with his "Under Glass" shots of the Mercedes.

Edited by sjordan2

Yeah, somehow I missed it too. Great work Harry. My dad has the remains of a Pocher Duesey he built years ago. He won't give it to me because he's afraid I'm going to hot rod it.

Someone's memory is suspect here... Pocher never made a Duesenberg.

• 2 weeks later...

Oops....;) Yes, sorry Harry. I'm guilty of glossing straight passed this one. :)

Not entirely my cup of tea, but I can easily see why people DO like these kits.....Excellent detail and craftsmanship.

And of course, without dedicated, steady hands doing the work.....well, you know what I mean Harry. GREAT work. B)

• 1 month later...

Harry , Harry, Harry...... I love it man! its a bit over my head though, YOU ARE THE MAN! excellent work on this build. Actually i didnt know you were a model builder i just thought you like to hang out around us guys and talk trash every now and then.......J/K keep up the awesome work! :)

Harry , Harry, Harry...... I love it man! its a bit over my head though, YOU ARE THE MAN! excellent work on this build. Actually i didnt know you were a model builder i just thought you like to hang out around us guys and talk trash every now and then.......J/K keep up the awesome work! :lol:

Dude! Where have you been? I've posted a lot of my stuff here on the forum... ;)

Thanks for the compliments, though... and right back atcha! ;)

Now get those Chevelle photos working for me... ;)

• 1 year later...

Hi Harry,

Found this build thread and have to say as much frustration that it caused you it looks great!

Our local club was given this same car to be done as a group build and auctioned off for charity. my job are the wheels. I have a question for you though. Did you polish the metal parts with anything and if so what did you use? The spokes on the kit we have are very dull and some of the other metal parts look dull as well.

Any help you can shed would be appreciated.

Russ

Harry-I forgot how wonderfully instructional this thread was for us Pocher builders. Please take the Benz outside (if you have to) and shoot it so we can appreciate the scope of your work.

Russ-any 1:1 auto metal polish will work. Mother's white paste is one.