Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'll bet Art knows tha history of this hotrod...

Guest zebm1

Guest zebm1

Built by a guy named Greg or Gary Funk in Springfield, IL for tha 1956 La Carrera Pan America road Race...

A_56LacarrerabyCecilFunk.jpg

A_56LaCarreraPanAmerica-homebuilt.jpg

Powdered by Ford, 312 with Cherry Bomb glas packs...

A_56LaCarrerapoweredbyFord.jpg

and get a load of this old truck front axle

A_56LaCarreraSpringfieldIL.jpg

Can ya'll imagine driving this monster for 2000 miles over those wagon tracks they called roads in Mexico?

zeb

Guest zebm1

not even jb, home built car, purpose built to compete in tha 1956 La Carrera Pan American road race through Mexico in 1956. I don't think that an Allard waz this long a car, nor used a straight axle in front. But then I don't know that much about what's "under tha skin" of an Allard. :wink:

Here's tha webpage, for those that are interested http://www.ausbcomp.com/~bbott/cars/56race/

zeb

nope;not an allard; they had a split transverse front axle a la 36 ford hinged in the middle at the frame (very primitive independent front suspension!) and were complete handling BAS%^#DS in bad conditions. the modification was intended to help them in British Hill climbing competition by helping to keep one of the front wheels in contact (!!) with the ground. this car looks very like the caballo de hierro or old yeller and might be contemporary to them going by the engine.

(allards could be had with any number of engine/trans combinations depending on the depth of your checquing account)