Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Snowball 2'

Abell82

So is this the end of the build??

Dang! you can't trust anyone any more..

I'd be be curious to know if any of these community builds has ever worked out. I could never participate knowing that one person might decide that the rules didn't apply to him, derailing the project for everyone else who'd played by the rules.

I'd be be curious to know if any of these community builds has ever worked out. I could never participate knowing that one person might decide that the rules didn't apply to him, derailing the project for everyone else who'd played by the rules.

Years ago the Tri-State Scale Model Car Club had a door prize donation arrive after the show. It was a resin body based on the Alumina Coupe. So we decided to do a club build on the car and raffle it off at next years show. It worked fine. Each volunteer member was in charge of a different step in the build process and had a month (from club meeting to next meeting) to accomplish the task. One guy built the chassis, another added a slant six engine and so on. My role was to open the hood up and I realized that the roof on the slush cast body wouldn't hold glass properly, so I replaced the hood and roof with original kit parts. Someone else did some custom bodywork, then someone did the paint and onward to the interior, then final assembly. Everyone performed their task and did well, some of us guys who hadn't finished a model in years. And yes, we raffled it off. I do know where it is today. So yes, it can work.

Non local people trying to do this type of community build never works, We (I) tryed it on FB with friends, SAME thing happened. One guy has it and REFUSES to send it on.

Nick

Considering Jason hasn't logged in since early March-- Last Active Mar 07 2013 10:21 AM --odds are good it will never be completed.

I'd suggest starting a new build, and if Jason sends Snowball 2 it along to the next person, this one can be continued.

I think within a local club or a tight group of friends somthing like this would be fine. But though a global forum? Where everyone involved is a total stranger? I think it is a doomed idea.

If you are going to do it, do it with a small group of builders. Five at the most. Engine, chassis, body, interior, paint. Plan it out. Discuss the idea for the build so thast you don't get the crazy mixture of styles that this one had.

I wish you luck and I'm real sorry this one didn't work out for you.

I've had this crazy thought of do a group build where every participant is on a different continent. I could start it off in North American, ship it to someone in Brazil for South America. From there it goes to South Africa for Africa, then to Europe where we know a lot of folks, then to a friend in Turkey for Asia. And then to one of our many friends in Australia. Antarctica would be the tough one! :)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Wow!  It's cool to see that Snowball finally got finished.  It's a shame nobody knows who has it today.  Maybe the power of the Internet can pull it out of hiding?  I remember those days on The Model Car List.  

And I noticed I had posted about our NNL East club project and that we didn't know who had it.  A few years ago a fellow I knew in NJ told me he was the raffle winner and still had the car in good shape.  I asked him to bring it to a club meeting and I squeezed off some photos:

On 9/6/2013 at 8:00 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Years ago the Tri-State Scale Model Car Club had a door prize donation arrive after the show. It was a resin body based on the Alumina Coupe. So we decided to do a club build on the car and raffle it off at next years show. It worked fine. Each volunteer member was in charge of a different step in the build process and had a month (from club meeting to next meeting) to accomplish the task. One guy built the chassis, another added a slant six engine and so on. My role was to open the hood up and I realized that the roof on the slush cast body wouldn't hold glass properly, so I replaced the hood and roof with original kit parts. Someone else did some custom bodywork, then someone did the paint and onward to the interior, then final assembly. Everyone performed their task and did well, some of us guys who hadn't finished a model in years. And yes, we raffled it off. I do know where it is today. So yes, it can work.

And here's a thread I did earlier this year:

2 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

The Original Snowball FINALLY ended up being completed

That's great to get some closure, finally. Sad to see that Dave Mikrut had a significant hand in the project, but passed away before it was completed.

It gives me hope that Ron down in Florida will send the Take-a-Turn Torino back to someone...anyone...please? 

On 11/18/2019 at 7:39 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Wow!  It's cool to see that Snowball finally got finished.  It's a shame nobody knows who has it today.  Maybe the power of the Internet can pull it out of hiding?  I remember those days on The Model Car List.  

Tom, actually found that out just a few hours later. I received correspondence today from Chuck Darnell confirming that he has Snowlball. While the original Intent was for Snowball to be donated to the GSL Museum , it's my understanding that due to it's fragile state after many journeys while not being properly cared for, Dave Mikrut decided it best that it stay with Chuck, as he had the made many repairs and fixed the issues that occurred during transport. Dave and Chuck were close, so it is in a good place for sure. I know that several of the participants still build, bit I am not aware of the status of all of them. 

I just got this picture today from Chuck himself. SB in upper left corner.

77115631_2254220744877577_4071945982374313984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ohc=zOuSMTyDgqcAQkgSFTGlz42UZkx_gMqx2MMnND_lX8MJBaI_qjVCsN67w&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=76dd858ef31e1ca0526fabb25507297b&oe=5E5454EC