Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Nomad pro mod project

thumper86

the difference between the 25.1e and the 25.2 spec is the weight of the vehicle.

25.1E Full Bodied Car Tube Chassis – 7.49 Seconds & Quicker; 2,800 lbs. Maximum

25.2 Full Bodied Car Tube Chassis – 7.49 Seconds & Quicker; 3,200 lbs. Maximum

Thanks guys ! I didn't get much done on it yesterday but tonight I'll put some updates up. started the engine and 4-link brackets are in ,Waiting for parts on some things .

the difference between the 25.1e and the 25.2 spec is the weight of the vehicle.

I guess that would explain the steel body lol. and extra tubes.

So Dave that sounds more like just a weight classification for certification. Does that also roll into the unique Door tubing as well for that class. Or is this just more of a Chassis Builder thing to add extra weight then to hit that class?

you need to understand that the SFI and the NHRA are two different entities (or any other sanctioning body for that fact). the NHRA follows the SFI chassis certification specs. the SFI knows nothing of what class a car runs. it says that if you are full bodied car with a tube chassis and it goes 7.49 or quicker. if that car weighs 2800 lbs. or less it can follow the 25.1e chassis spec. if it weighs 3200 lbs. or less it must follow 25.2 chassis specs.

the nhra has a MINIMUM weight for pro stock (2350) and pro mod (nitrous 2425, super or turbo charged 2650) the adrl has no minumum for pro extreme , pro nitrous or extreme ten five. these cars can be built as 25.1e. when building a car you almost always build to the minimum weight. after all, you're only penalizing yourself by adding weight. what the SFI doesn't want to see is a car built to 25.1e having a bunch of weight slapped in it to run in some of the other series (outlaw, nmca type stuff) where they have a minimum weights that are over 2800 lbs. and then crash. there is a HUGE difference in the energy of a car weighing 3200 hitting the wall versus a 2800 lb. car. hence the SFI saying 2800lbs. and under is 25.1e and 3200 lbs and under is 25.2.

the particular style that robert is building is one of about 4 different configurations allowed by the sfi book for 25.2. the SFI dictates what diameter / wall thickness tubing must be used and where it is located. it is not up to the chassis builder where these tubes are placed. it can be the chassis builders / car owners choice which of the allowable configurations they follow.

on a personal note. if i were running a sub-seven second car that weighed over 2800 lbs.. i would want all the extra tubing around me that i could get.........whether it looked cool or not.

brett, i'm glad it it helped in any way!

robert, sorry i forgot but, this is a killer build. can't wait to see it progress. your subject is really quite awesome. in a class that is dominated by camaro's / corvette's. something as unusual as this, is quite special. keep up the great work.

comp1839 I am so sorry I didnt know who you were! I worship your foot steps in the way you build your builds lol. You can say I'm a huge fan of yours!

I have to agree, Dave is very detailed and very accurate to say the least! Based on communications with him, he spends a lot of time getting accurate dimensions of different parts. So at the very least his stuff is as accurate as it comes to reproduction!

Another thing that he deserves is Kudo's for is his willingness to help out a fellow modeler. Or provide insight on things such as this....

I give u all lots of kudos as I am learning with my first drag build that it takes serious concentration,planning and a goal to build drags.

After saying that I cannot wait to start my next which I have mocked up right now

On another note I cannot wait to see this finished keep up the good work

(null)

seeing the 1:1 build painted is just incredible!! this will be such a cool deal when it's done. obviously it will be a blower motor (judging by the hole in the hood), what type of motor will it be? oh, and thank you for saying such nice stuff about me guys. i really don't consider myself to be that great of a model builder. i do love drag cars though!

Its power by a Fontana hemi, Psi screw blower etc.. lol I had to make everything so far for the base engine because nobody make any thing resin for them except if you want to spend an arm and a leg for a pulling tractor with 3 aries engines in it lol.

Not a problem Dave I love your work it is truely outstanding !

"Dave do you have a drag car? "

i just recently sold my A/ Dragster. i have owned a few race cars over the years. at the moment i am getting ready to build a new shop (since my garage is full of equipment). when i get that built, then the wife and i are going to build a "street" car.