Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Hemi Cuda Replica Build

mademan

During discussion in the Cuda Review thread, Photos of this car were posted, and I immediately fell in love with it. I started gathering parts, and decided that I must use Fireball Modelworks 295/50/15 tires. I got a set of deep/shallow Scenes Unlimited resin Mopar steelies, and a set of Missing Link resin hubcaps.

1970_plymouth_hemi_cuda_coupe_-_black_-_

E298306F-A4B2-4132-8A98-54A319A7CA0E-210

Problem now, is that the Scenes Unlimited Mopar steelies are 1;25, while the tires are 1:24 and I believe the steelies are also 14" , so first task was finding some scrap wheels, and cutting the Barrel to fit the steelies. Wheels will be all black with chrome hubcaps, pay no attention to the chrome lips. The wheels still require allot of work, but you se the basic concept.

IMG_5466_zps1d0c1036.jpg

IMG_5467_zpsbc3f1dd6.jpg

Great start! I also saw that car and am going to build one like it. Looks like you beat me to it. I did the same with the wheels on my 71 but machined my own caps and used the tires from the revell 32 ford. 016-8.jpg[/url

[url=http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/andylesiak/media/2012-05-03_22-12-15_91.jpg.html]2012-05-03_22-12-15_91.jpg

Edited by zaina

I like that black 'Cuda. Seen that pic when I was looking for reference pics for my own 'Cuda build. Should look fantastic when you get it finished. Just wondering if the 1/24th scale tires will look too big on a 1/25th scale car.

I'm wondering the same thing

I like that black 'Cuda. Seen that pic when I was looking for reference pics for my own 'Cuda build. Should look fantastic when you get it finished. Just wondering if the 1/24th scale tires will look too big on a 1/25th scale car.

I'm wondering the same thing

Not too bad actually. compared to the kit tires.

IMG_5474_zps76706410.jpg

IMG_5475_zpsc034bcf5.jpg

and here Mocked up on the car. I definatly need to massage the inner fenderwells to accept the larger tires, however I don't think it looks exaggerated at all over the photo in the first post.

IMG_5473_zps5eb6f984.jpg

IMG_5471_zps572305be.jpg

Mike, that 'Cuda is "drop-dead-gorgeous" but I don't think that you can get 295 tires to fit on a 1:1 car, can you? Probably a 275 tire would be max I'd say.

Not totally sure to tell ya the truth. The black 1:1 looks to have wider that 275 though. Although, I don't think there are any sources in 24th, or 25th for an accurate 275 BFG either.

Edit* Found this one a Mopar site.

"15X8 wide, 4.5 inches backspace, 295-50-15 Cooper Cobras. Fit and don't rub on my car with stock suspension. If you want to run a 10 inch wide rim you will need to relocate the springs in"

Edited by mademan

Assembled Engine for paint. There was a large gap between the heads and intake on both sides, so I tightened it up with some .75mm styrene. Also smoothed out all of the seam lines on the engine/trans.

IMG_5489_zpsdc48604d.jpg

IMG_5490_zps5dd05cb6.jpg

Sorry for the constant updates. I work away from home for long periods at a time, so I have limited time to build. Its worked out that I have quite a bit of time this week.

I want to know about the Camaro crushing the 2 Fox bodies in the background.

And yes, the 'Cuda is going to be killer!

The Camaro is a Revell 2010 Camaro SS, mated with a Promo 2011 Convertible, to make a full detail convertible. I used the promo before the AMT showroom kit was available. There is a topic on here somewhere for it.