Model Cars Magazine Forum

How shiny should shiny be?

I think Edward brings a valid point, it's something I myself have noticed but definitely not anything to bash people about or to think that I am superior because of my painting method.

I am very picky when it comes to panel lines and hidden details under heavy coats of paint. I also think that sometimes certain models do look toyish with way too much paint or clear on them. I have been trying to learn to use urethane clears myself but one of the reasons I have been idle about it is the fact that most of my builds are Muscle cars and factory stock builds, not much shine you should put on those.

With that said, I enjoy wetsanding and rubbing out my finishes, I think it is the closest thing to simulating the paintjob on real cars. I have always believed in showing all the small details on my models and that's the main reason that I always try to put the least amount of paint on the bodies as possible. I have always said that the cars with excessive shine on them should certainly be modern custom show cars, you know, like a restored '41 Willys or Hot Rod, I have seen a lot of shine on those. Still, I would be picky about the panel lines and small details. :)

Well said Cruz, why people keep swaying from the subject and continue saying that it's all about envy and throwing people under the bus is beyond me. I believe that in the real car world, shiny and miles deep paintjobs will always be best, not the same when looked at in smaller scales. Even orange peel in 1/24th or 25th scale is way too big. The panel line issue? Couldn't agree with you more, it's one of the first signs of way too much paint.

And that's exactly my point. If I was building an AMBR winner, (Highly unlikely BTW :) ) I'd load on the clear. If I was building a more practical, everyday street rod, not so much.

The point remains that the level of finish should be appropriate for the subject matter.

Oh, and seeing as how I have a '28 roadster, a '47 Mercury coupe, and now a '62 Falcon, I get to plenty of show and shines. ;)

I totally concur Drew....And your cars are drivers.. not trailer queens ;) ;) B)

In my humble opinion... I agree with some of the guys here, in some points.

I agree with Drew when he said "It really depends on the subject" and what my friend Harry said is correct, "Look at the real thing and try to duplicate it."

And I agree with Matt's simple two rules: "Enjoy yourself" Don't forget, this is a hobby and it should be fun not work, and "Be cool to others". I agree with that. Not everyone has the same skills as others. Some builders could build amazing works of arts and others may have to work really hard at their builds. Me personally, I don't mind a bit of helpful criticism. But I'm not a Master Builder. Like a very good friend of mine that did AWESOME Paint jobs on his models told me, keep it fun.

I consider myself a Moderate builder. Not an expert... yet. :) But I have lots more to learn. That's what I find really enjoyable and fun about this hobby. I've learned so much from my fellow builders and try to apply what they showed me to my builds. Every build I create is a little better then the last. In truth, we all learn from one another but find different ways to apply the skill.

Me, I try to build my models as accurate (as the model kit allows) and as detailed to the real thing as possible. I do allot of research on the subject to apply to my models. Even with that, sometimes I can't help myself to do some custom details to them. Again, it's all for the fun of the hobby. I made one promise to myself: Once the hobby is no longer fun, that's the day I will stop building.

So to answer your question of Shiny or too Shiny... I would have to go with my friend told me. Build it whatever way makes you happy... Super Shiny or Flat gloss. ;)

Happy Modeling.

The Cat-Man =^.^=

I am in agreement with The Cat man here, and quite honestly, I have liked and loved builds of all different finishes, and most times am awe inspired by them, as I myself am in the learning process, and still yet more to learn. As such, on one of my current builds I am "Trying to Copy" A Particular finish, however I am using Clear Gloss to achieve it. And as most others here have stated, it all depends upon Preference and personal experience. I think a person should just go with whatever they feel is best for their builds.

Seems obvious that modelers are free to build their models any way they like.

But modelers also have different tastes and different standards. Some people like simple, iconic realism; some like wildly imaginative creations; some like tons of intricate detail; some like low riders; some like cartoon cars; some like European sports racers. So long as we treat our fellow modelers with courtesy and respect, aren't we entitled to state our opinions and preferences in a public forum? If someone doesn't like what others say about his approach, what's to prevent him from presenting his own case?

Some car modelers do seem to be trapped in a particular mindset and unwilling to consider other viewpoints - "I've been doing it this way for 40 years, and I don't care what some young whippersnapper thinks." And they even get offended when somebody begs to differ.

In any dynamic hobby or art form, there's constant "critique-ing" among those who practice it. There's a non-stop open exchange of opinions about materials, methods and preferences. Sometimes it's a little hard on the ego, but without friendly sharing of ideas and opinions, a pursuit will become stagnant, boring and repetitious.

• 2 weeks later...

one point that was brought up only initially and not touched since:

There are those here that BUTCHER models to the point where i almost want to cry when i see what they have done to it. Why are these builds littered with "great job!" and the like when it's blatantly not a great job? For the record i am not going to mention any names of the builders in question - you should know who they are.

I'm not saying to tell them they're doing a horrible job, and i'm also saying we shouldn't say things that might get them to stop building models because we should all be here to help eachother out.

Why not - in these builds - just offer constructive criticism and be HONEST with the builder with your tips and thoughts, instead of lying to them?

I post up builds because i am proud of what i have done, but if there is any criticism, i take it seriously, but only in terms of trying to improve on whatever i've been criticized for. if it's something that was butchered by the company that makes a kit (take the incorrect intake manifold on the 68 dart for example), then i don't care if it's criticized. I like criticism for things that are in MY control.

as far as the other subject of "how far is too far" - if you want to be a die-hard realist 100% accurate to the tee, then go for it. If it's not factory looking, then go for it. If you want to rust a car out, go for it. If you want billions of miles deep clear - go for it. It's YOUR model, build it the way YOU want it. The elitist die-hard 100% accurate builder may not like it, but you do, and that's what matters most. if they don't like it, i'm sure they can go to the grocery store to buy a dozen eggs to suck on B)

Back in the sixties we always waxed our cars to the max.

Polished the chrome.

Wiped the tires down.

None of us owned what would be classified as a Show Car or true Hot Rod.

But when we gathered at the Frisch's mainliner on Saturday night those cars sure reflected those lights on the canopy.

Its all about personal taste. I have painted models from eveything from rattle cans to pouring the clear on with a paint gun. I think I have had better luck with the rattle cans.Build model to your own taste,not to win at shows, you have more fun this way.here are a few of mine,painted from a can and paint gun,you be the judge.

Rattle Can-Tamiya paint

IMG_0353-vi.jpg

Rattle can-Tamiya paint

IMG_0214-vi.jpg

Automotive paint - Allied with paint gun- urethane clear

IMG_0197-vi.jpg

Automotive paint - Allied with paint gun- urethane clear

IMG_0159-vi.jpg

Edited by customsrus

Whatever happened to:

Step 1: Purchase model kit

Step 2: Purchase glue, paint and other supplies

Step 3: Built model how you want

Step 4: Have fun (it's only a hobby)

I have only 2 rules for building model cars:

Rule 1: I don't care how, when, where or who builds any other model car

Rule 2: I don't care what anyone, anywhere, at any time cares about what and how I build.

You guys do remember this is a hobby and is supposed to be enjoyable, don't you?

Whatever happened to:

Step 1: Purchase model kit

Step 2: Purchase glue, paint and other supplies

Step 3: Built model how you want

Step 4: Have fun (it's only a hobby)

I have only 2 rules for building model cars:

Rule 1: I don't care how, when, where or who builds any other model car

Rule 2: I don't care what anyone, anywhere, at any time cares about what and how I build.

You guys do remember this is a hobby and is supposed to be enjoyable, don't you?

And you remember that this is a model car discussion board? And people bring up topics for discussion? And we talk about stuff here? And we don't always have 100% agreement on every topic all the time?

The whole point of this place is for us to get together and talk about the hobby... good, bad, whatever. That's why we're all here!

If all we do here is pat each other on the back and sing kum-baya... what the heck is the point???

The whole point of this place is for us to get together and talk about the hobby... good, bad, whatever. That's why we're all here!

If all we do here is pat each other on the back and sing kum-baya... what the heck is the point???

could this also be taken into consideration about those who pat the others on the back over a butcher shop build? how is that person getting any better if nobody posts any critiques about it when things SHOULD be said? is it the same concept of "if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all?" in that case, why do people say ANYTHING about those butcher builds, unless they're either delusional or liars? you can frequent some of those folks' builds and you will see they aren't making any forward progress. BUT - "GREAT JOB!"

it feels that we spend more time chastising the ones who actually can achieve a somewhat decent build, when it SHOULD be directed to those who need to be chastised.

as for me personally, i look for ways to improve my building skills on a personal level. it's kind of hard to do that when everybody gives the ole pat on the back EVERY TIME i post progress pics or under glass.

it's not the critiquing that bothers me, it's the response of the builders when being critiqued that bothers me. i can handle being critiqued, however some people cannot. and those who think their models are perfect, give me 10 minutes to look at it and i can guarantee i'll find something to critique - even if it be a mundane thing such as your "shiny factor" and yes, you will be annoyed/mad/bothered that i critiqued your perfect model.

and some advice for those that want to critique - instead of just pointing out something that looks bad, PLEASE - offer advice and tips/tricks on what that person can do to get better at whatever it is you're critiquing in their build. if it's a problem with the kit itself, and you know how to fix it, please share it with the builder so they can do it if they want to. if they don't want to fix it, then oh well! it's their model!

could this also be taken into consideration about those who pat the others on the back over a butcher shop build? how is that person getting any better if nobody posts any critiques about it when things SHOULD be said? is it the same concept of "if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all?" in that case, why do people say ANYTHING about those butcher builds, unless they're either delusional or liars? you can frequent some of those folks' builds and you will see they aren't making any forward progress. BUT - "GREAT JOB!"

it feels that we spend more time chastising the ones who actually can achieve a somewhat decent build, when it SHOULD be directed to those who need to be chastised.

as for me personally, i look for ways to improve my building skills on a personal level. it's kind of hard to do that when everybody gives the ole pat on the back EVERY TIME i post progress pics or under glass.

it's not the critiquing that bothers me, it's the response of the builders when being critiqued that bothers me. i can handle being critiqued, however some people cannot. and those who think their models are perfect, give me 10 minutes to look at it and i can guarantee i'll find something to critique - even if it be a mundane thing such as your "shiny factor" and yes, you will be annoyed/mad/bothered that i critiqued your perfect model.

and some advice for those that want to critique - instead of just pointing out something that looks bad, PLEASE - offer advice and tips/tricks on what that person can do to get better at whatever it is you're critiquing in their build. if it's a problem with the kit itself, and you know how to fix it, please share it with the builder so they can do it if they want to. if they don't want to fix it, then oh well! it's their model!

Mark, we've been around and around on that point. I agree with you 100%... false praise and unearned flattery is pointless. And I agree that criticism should be combined with pointers or tips on how to best solve the problem noted.

But the reality is that we have members who post their work but are completely unable to handle criticism of any kind... even when made with the best of intentions. And too many times members take well-intentioned comments and criticism as a personal attack, and they feel threatened and/or insulted. It's gotten to the point that many members would rather not say anything than risk the "flame wars" that can erupt when someone takes honest criticism the wrong way.

Unfortunately, that's the way it works on a public forum... B)

The thing is, Mark, there are people who enjoy building like that (well, maybe not quite that awful, but close B) ) and have zero interest in improving their modeling skills. They're comfortable building at the level they're at, and, to many, if not most, the importance of having a bunch of finished models on their shelves outweighs the importance of whether those models actually look good.

And you know what? I say as long as those folks are having fun and enjoying their hobby, more power to 'em. There's room enough in the hobby for everyone.

Of course, one could also make the argument that if one doesn't want one's work criticized, one should not post photos of it in a public forum. But that, as they say, is a whole 'nother kettle of fish! B)

points taken and understood by responding parties.

yeah, there will be those that get offended if you offer them advice, and that's to be expected (after all, it is a forum). but - there is always a tactful way of offering advice and opinions, and there's ways that you can do it without offending. it's just a matter of choosing words wisely.

i suppose i could start offering positive advice to others, and hope it's received positively. Who knows - maybe that will spark a flame (not a flame war) - and everybody will just get better and better. we could use some more eye candy around here anyways.

A hint for those who post pics of progress and under glass, and use the phrase "let me know what you think" or "critiques welcome" - please make sure you can handle critiques if you're asking for it. B)

The thing is, Mark, there are people who enjoy building like that (well, maybe not quite that awful, but close B) ) and have zero interest in improving their modeling skills. They're comfortable building at the level they're at, and, to many, if not most, the importance of having a bunch of finished models on their shelves outweighs the importance of whether those models actually look good.

And you know what? I say as long as those folks are having fun and enjoying their hobby, more power to 'em. There's room enough in the hobby for everyone.

Yes, you're right as far as that goes.

But the larger point is, if someone posts a legitimate question (as in "how shiny should shiny be?") and people weigh in with their comments and opinions regarding the question asked... why should anyone be "offended" by those opinions? Isn't the whole point of a forum to discuss issues??? And isn't it completely obvious that we will not all have the same exact opinion???

The "hey, just build for yourself and don't worry what anyone thinks" attitude is fine... I actually agree with it... but if we're talking about a particular issue, everyone's opinion counts, and nobody needs to remind us that it's "just a hobby." We already know that. To complain about people offering their opinions here is flying in the face of what this forum is all about in the first place.

I've been Custom Painting for many years & there is only one true way to achieve a quality realistic, quality paint job......Lacquer. Urethane is Glop, plain & simple. First of all; it is deadly toxic....it should be licenced & used by Pro Automotive Painters & Not be used by anyone else. It is meant for full scale vehicles & industrial application, in a safe....well ventilated area.....CERTAINLY NOT in a house !!!....( Remember, even though, the guy painting may have a mask on & the window open; this stuff will go into vents & everywhere else in the house & effect Anyone in that house & is Cancer causing ) secondly; no matter how it is applied; it is WAY TOO THICK. Very rarely have I seen a model painted with it, that I can honestly say; it is satisfactory.....it buries detail 99.9 % of the time.........perhaps on the odd larger scale ( 1/8, 1/12, etc..) without door & trunk lines, such as a trike; or that sort of thing...it might be not bad; but overall...I find the look is completely unacceptable. Automotive Lacquer, on the other hand; is extremely thin, easy to work with & is perfect, as far as controlling the gloss to suit the build. Of course all safety precautions must be observed with it as well, but I would say between the two; that it is probably slightly less hazardous.....( even water-based paint is toxic by the way; the pigment is still dangerous; although the carrier may be water ) - Now as far as Judging goes in contests....it's beyond me how some of these " Shiny Glop Paint Jobs" impress judges.....me, I'll take realism over "Shiny"....Every Time.

the whole idea of the hobby is to have fun, if you build models and your not haveing fun then your doing it wrong, i dont care how good your models look. the only thing that matters is that the model looks how the person who built it want it to look. i see exact replicas of cars all the time and it gets boreing to look at. i like shiney paint jobs because it makes things stand out and it takes a lot of work to be able to do that. i dont care how people think my models are, il take tips to make them better but ill only go so far. i post my models on here to show my idea of fun and thats it, i dont expect everyone to like it but the point im trying to get accross is that people do this for fun not to be perfect and not to please anyone but themselves, so i say live and let live