Model Cars Magazine Forum

How shiny should shiny be?

Well, I don't use urathanes but I do use Future or Testors clear coat sometime. On this car I didn't use either on it and you can see the result.

49Ford3z17.jpg

Just kiddin guys. As far as paint goes, I mostly use Testors little bottle paints (enamel) and I get very good results for me. All of the paint jobs that I have done were done with the enamels. I don't use the other paints because of cost. I've been out of work for two years now and I use what I have in stock and that's Testor's paints.

On this Ford I used no clear at all. I just polished it with Novus polishing system. It is painted with the Testors enamel thru an airbrush. I think it looks good for a 50's custom. It's not overly shiny.

DSC03672.jpg

I used to paint machines and cars and have used urathanes and I was scared of that stuff. We had to use the full body suit with an air tube to feed air to us and I never liked that. Just my 2 cents here to try a lighten things up a bit. All work and no play makes you a dull boy. Plus I think it's right to think of the youngins who read this stuff. :lol: Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

Harry - I know I have suggested it before, but perhaps you could create a new category, with a name like "Shooting Gallery" or "Dart Board", where those who would like an honest critique of their work could get it instead of a disingenuous pat on the back. Rules of the category would be, post a comment, make sure it includes a solution. Don't just be baggin' on the model. If you post a photo, make sure you what to hear the critique. No complaints about, the comments. If you can't take it. Don't put it up here.

May I suggest you clearly state your desire for honest critique, early on in the post, then more importantly take all comments as constructive regardless of how blunt or even troll like some comments may come across.

The useful comments are useful regardless of delivery, and you can ignore the intentionally rude ones. I really think 90% of the posted critisisms are intended to be helpful but between peoples natuarally poor communication skills, defensiveness and the tendency of internet to mask the intent of comments (why we use these guys B):lol:;) ) many comments come across harsher than intended. The other 10% are generally just trolls and should be ignored.

Edited by Aaronw

Well, I don't use urathanes but I do use Future or Testors clear coat sometime. On this car I didn't use either on it and you can see the result.

49Ford3z17.jpg

Just kiddin guys. As far as paint goes, I mostly use Testors little bottle paints (enamel) and I get very good results for me. All of the paint jobs that I have done were done with the enamels. I don't use the other paints because of cost. I've been out of work for two years now and I use what I have in stock and that's Testor's paints.

On this Ford I used no clear at all. I just polished it with Novus polishing system. It is painted with the Testors enamel thru an airbrush. I think it looks good for a 50's custom. It's not overly shiny.

DSC03672.jpg

I used to paint machines and cars and have used urathanes and I was scared of that stuff. We had to use the full body suit with an air tube to feed air to us and I never liked that. Just my 2 cents here to try a lighten things up a bit. All work and no play makes you a dull boy. Plus I think it's right to think of the youngins who read this stuff. ;) Dan

That is plenty shiny & you definitely have perfected the use of enamel - good stuff !!