Model Cars Magazine Forum

Highly Detailed GENERAL LEE.... finally done...!1yr and 6 days

mopar01lee

Nice job on the build though I'm not convinced the springs are worth the effort- the kits plastic setup looks more like a Mopar suspension (but obviously doesn't have that "wow" factor)

Can the tie plates be rotated and the tab bent to make a decent "Chrysler style" lower shock mount? (cantilevered pin from the plate- eye for both ends of the shock)

You guys are all right ...but keep in mind these spring are not 100% done yet ..an yes as most if not all mopars front spring mount were bolted to the frame ..I will put the frame back in an go from there with the mount to look more like a mopar mount ..

LaterDays davin

I'm not a fan of the Dukes or the General Lee, but I'm looking forward to a highly detailed build with all those extras. And if you can figure out how to make those stupid multi-piece wipers work I hope you'll post a tutorial of your method. I can't tell you how many I've bent out of recognizable shape; I've given up on them.

Who cares if it looks like the original or not?

Your build .... Your way. IMO it is a MODEL that you are building. A piece of YOUR imagination and artwork.

Do it your way.

Looks great. Wish I had that type of talent.

Cant wait to see it when it is done.

thanks for you kind words .. im real close to banning myself from this forum .. these lill nit pickers is the reason i left for over 6 month .. like you said its a model car .. an they nit pick befor the thing is even really started.. i dont care if i upset some people but come on im not building a 1:1 car here .. im doing all this PE to try my hand at new things i have never done ... in my own way .

i can take all that every one says but when all some do is pick an pick an pick . it gets old real quick.. ive owned 44 dodges older than 74 .. i know a dodge in an out .. ive raced them ive built them over an over .. but for some this is not a real car ......

i have also gotten personal mesg about things that i havent even started yet, an things that they say is inaccurate . for what a model car .. its getting old fast...

hey bro thanks for the comment its guys like you that will keep me posting for now.....

later days my friend ... Davin

Edited by mopar01lee

I think you are doing a great job. The detail so far looks great. It is just a model car and you can add as much or as little detail as you would like. Great work. Those leaf springs look perfect. I have been eyeing those for a while and might have to get some. :lol:

STewart

thanks for you kind words .. im real close to banning myself from this forum .. these lill nit pickers is the reason i left for over 6 month .. like you said its a model car .. an they nit pick befor the thing is even really started.. i dont care if i upset some people but come on im not building a 1:1 car here .. im doing all this PE to try my hand at new things i have never done ... in my own way .

Don't ban yourself, Davin; just remember that you're ultimately doing this one for yourself. 'Accurate' or not, I'm looking forward to more pics and progress on this build!! I don't think I'll ever use PE leaf springs, but I never knew they existed and they're very cool to see in use.

Isn't it ironic that Mopar models(even unfinished ones) seem to attract the largest number of nitpickers and rivet counters?

Isn't it ironic that Mopar models(even unfinished ones) seem to attract the largest number of nitpickers and rivet counters?

Ha! Don't I know it?? :D

Keep up the great work! That's not an easy car to do with the opening doors because of the differing contours, but you're off to a great start!

I've used those working springs on a '55 T-Bird build years ago, and while they were not super-duper Ford correct------they worked well for what I wanted........in fact they still do. ;)

Davin, don't let the other people on here get you down or get to you at all bro. They tried that stuff with me as well if you all remember but guess what I'm still here. You see to me the harder people tried to get me to leave the more I like to stay around LOL. The way I see it Davin is like this, just as long as you don't do anything wrong then they can't really do anything. The last few months I been busy with other life things around me. My cousin has my camera right now, So I can't really take any photos of the projects I been working on.

Looking at your build here man, I like what I see alot, you are really putting alot of effort into your project man and also trying out like you said new things to see what you can do. The idea about the grill I love, and I been doing the same thing kinda with a project of my own but not with PE stuff though.

The show used 300 chargers for General's, 17 servied the show, then in the last 8 to 10 years afew more of the real General's chargers has infact surface THAT was not part of that 17 General Lee deal at all back in the early 1990's. They are now around 22 Real General's that made it. The color of the cars is not just one orange color at all like some may think. They had around 4 different shops through out the series that infact built the General's for on the Dukes back in the day. Each shop didn't use the same color orange. Matter of fact they used what ever orange they had on hand to paint the cars and at times they even mix oranges together to paint a charger to turn it into a General Lee. The interior colors also range from factory sattle tan all the way down to buckskin tan to the light pal tan (cream color tan). The cars didn't have no black interior at all, the what you thought you seen was black interior was infact dark sattle tan but in the shadows it would appear to be black though and this lead alot of people to think the General's had black interior when it didn't. They change the interior colors from the dark stuff because of the camera lightin because it wouldn't reflect off the dark interior to well like it did of the light color interior.

Also, the General's on the show often had leaf spring helper springs mounted on the leafs.

The General's cb on the show also change through the series also in some episodes, the General had 3 different types of cb antennas and also afew different cb units as well they used in and on him.

The motor sizes was also 3 different ones as well, the 318 they infact did use in most of the General's for driving scenes, the 383 and 440 for the small and also for the huge jumps mostly.

On the two part episode COT of the Dukes, at the end when the boys are in the General Lee and are getting ready to make the 32 park car jump, watch the wind sheild very close as they start out for the run up to the ramp (Al Wytt JR did the jump 2 times by the way) as they cut back and 4th, watch the wind sheild, you will see a roll bar bar in some of the shots and also tan over spray paint on the wind sheild from where the guys sprayed the dash down with the tan spray and hit the window with it. In that show you can really get an idea on what color was used as the sun light in the shot hits it very well and shows the color shade of it. The car that leaves the ramp has it's nose down but (1st take on the jump) when they cut to the landing area the car now has his nose up and tail end downwards. Al Wytt JR did the jump 2 times, he miss the first time and hit the last car at the end of the pile (the white one and took it's roof off) the 2nd tale on the jump the general had his nose upwards when he landed and on film almost clips the last car with his tail end LOL.

So you see you all, all the General's on the show was not all the same at all, heck even the paint schemes wasn't all the same, they had different sizes of flags and 01's and General Lee text also on the cars used through out the series. The colors of the blue in the flag was different shades at times, the sizes of the white border and the stars was different sizes at times as well, the General Lee text was bigger in the GA episodes and then change sizes when they went back to CA and the back there the graphics colors and sizes changed through the series. You can't nit pick because if you do you are really nit picking 300 chargers at the same time on all there details that one might have had where as the other didn't have and believe me their was some cars that had stuff that the other General didn't have. So in a way Davin's model here could infact be being built correct after all because none of the real cars had a correct way either.

The spelling and grammar in this thread need serious help. I'm not calling out any one person as it involves several people in this thread. It is not hard to do a spelling check prior to posting. Just write what you want in an email, then use the spelling check there (most emails have one) if you don't have a word processing program.

I'm sure that I'll make people angry by posting this, and it's not my intent to do so. However, anyone trying to follow this build is going to have serious difficulty due to the almost hieroglyphic text in these posts. If the purpose of posting this is to entertain people, or show them techniques, then the information should be provided in a way most people can easily understand. Again, with no intent to offend, this thread does not accomplish that goal based on the nearly incomprehensible text.

Nobody expects perfection, this isn't a spelling test. However, when the spelling gets in the way of the message, it needs improvement.

It's actually easier than that, Mark; download the Mozilla Firefox browser. It comes with a built in spell checker.

Also, I don't think those guys are picking nits; they're just trying to help out.

Edited by Nate

The spelling and grammar in this thread need serious help.

funny-pictures-angry-cat-questions-.jpg

I'm sorry I just couldn't resist!! :o;);)

Davin, don't worry about the nit pickers and rivet counters, I for one like the work I've seen from you in the past and I'm sure this built will be on the same caliber or better than the builds I've seen from you in the past. B)

i can take all that every one says but when all some do is pick an pick an pick . it gets old real quick.. ive owned 44 dodges older than 74 .. i know a dodge in an out .. ive raced them ive built them over an over .. but for some this is not a real car ......

People are pointing out the mistakes you're making, probably because you set yourself up for it when you said in your very first post:

"But im a big general fan, well its my dream car .. so untill i get one im going to build the most detailed general lee as i possibly can"

i have also gotten personal mesg about things that i havent even started yet, an things that they say is inaccurate . for what a model car .. its getting old fast...

People are pointing out the mistakes you're making, probably because you set yourself up for it when you said in your very first post:

"But im a big general fan, well its my dream car .. so untill i get one im going to build the most detailed general lee as i possibly can"

Sorry I tried to help.

Nick Winter

Charter Member: North American General Lee Fan Club.

Not to mention saying, "comments and any help with PE welcome .. [sic]"

Brought it on yourself. Be mature and deal with it.

B)

And weren't the General Lee's doors welded shut? Wasn't that part of the "character" of the car... that the guys always got in and out through the windows? Yet you made a point of showing how you opened the doors on your model. B)

Hey, it's your model, build it your way, I'm not trying to tell you what to do. But when you say you're trying to build the most accurate General Lee that you can, be prepared for people to notice when what you're doing isn't all that accurate. I'm just trying to explain why you're getting the "nit picking," as you called it.

And weren't the General Lee's doors welded shut? Wasn't that part of the "character" of the car... that the guys always got in and out through the windows? Yet you made a point of showing how you opened the doors on your model. :lol:

Harry they Weren't, not even on Stunt cars. B)

Nick

Harry they Weren't, not even on Stunt cars. B)

Nick

From wikipedia:

The General Lee is the modified Dodge Charger driven by the Duke cousins Bo and Luke in the television series The Dukes of Hazzard. It is known for the chases and stunts, especially high jumps, in almost every episode, and for having the doors welded shut, leaving the Dukes to climb in and out through the windows.

From wikipedia:

The General Lee is the modified Dodge Charger driven by the Duke cousins Bo and Luke in the television series The Dukes of Hazzard. It is known for the chases and stunts, especially high jumps, in almost every episode, and for having the doors welded shut, leaving the Dukes to climb in and out through the windows.

Harry, meet Lee 3, the only GL to ever never receive door decals, and be shown with the door open.

doh.jpg

Nick

I think that this is one of those deals wher everyone can claim they are right.

The "they pretended the doors were welded shut in the show, but didn't weld them on the real cars" arguments that could go either way. No, the probably didn't bother to weld the doors shut on the real cars. However, they strongly implied they were welded shut because the boys always went in through the windows.

In the end, they didn't use the doors in the series, so it seems like a lot of effort to make a model of a car that does something the 1:1 was never seen on screen doing.

I looked up several sources... whether or not the doors were actually welded shut in reality, the assumption and the inference made on the show was that they were welded shut. In fact, it was "explained" on the show that the car was set up by the Dukes for racing, and the doors had been welded shut to make the car stiffer.

I think the publicity still shot Nick posted is the only evidence ever of a General Lee with a door open, and it's clearly just a mistake they didn't think anyone would catcy. Plus, as Nick says it is missing the door number also.

I was never a fan of the show, but I think it was also mentioned...either directly in the show or in the PR materials...that the General was a retired Grand National stock car which would have had the doors welded shut.

Nope, try again sir, try episode "Ten Million Dollar Shriff". I believe it's the 2nd part of the episode where you will in fact see a clone General Lee on screen with the doors being open by Bo and Luke Duke. and Also in the episode "Double Dukes" there is also a General Lee shown that has the bad guys shown on screen opening the doors up to get in that charger as well. I say this because these General Lee's was in fact real series used General's that are seen on screen to have their doors open up.

Nick Winter, Lee3 did in fact have door decals applyed when he got to GA and they begin filming down there. He was killed in the episode back in CA early in the series in the episode "The Meeting" when they jump him over the black limo.

None of the General's on the series had there doors welded shut. Matter of fact if you listen closely in some episodes you can in fact hear off camera General Lee doors being open and closed. Also in the episode "Days of Shine and Rose's" where Bo slides the General around and backs him up under a tree while Luke grabs the detour sign and relocates it on Rosco while Jesse and Boss Hogg are racing and then runs up under the tree to get back in the General Lee, watch that scene very close, Tom Wopat (Luke Duke) is shown by a sec at least (they cut the film real close to avoid people seeing it) closing the General's door after he had gotten in it.

Nick Winter, Lee3 did in fact have door decals applyed when he got to GA and they begin filming down there. He was killed in the episode back in CA early in the series in the episode "The Meeting" when they jump him over the black limo.

I wasn't sure of that, I knew that for a while Lee3 didn't, thanks for the info.

Nick