Model Cars Magazine Forum

I started this build a couple years ago and now have started working on again. Its a Vampire Van body on 32 Chevy fenders, hood and grill. It all fits well together because MPC converted the 32 Chevy Panel van to make the Vampire Van. I am trying to build it with a early 60's Surf feel, so whitewall tires and chrome rims from the Ala-Kart kit. It's painted with Black fenders and a metal flake paint on the body ( House of Kolor Limetime Green Pearl ).

It's going to be powered by a 51 chevy six with twin carbs and Headers.

I change the rear doors to twin Tiki's to get away from the Hearse feel.

So any suggestion on what I have done so far on this surf Van would fine.

post-3862-0-56467200-1390702631_thumb.jp

post-3862-0-63433100-1390702840_thumb.jp

post-3862-0-70670700-1390703623_thumb.jp

The next thing I did was to drop the front axles, I cut the ends off the stock axle and glue a new rod on to the stock ends.

post-3862-0-43302000-1390886543_thumb.jp

I am also cutting up some cedar veneer to cover the walls and roof of the inside of van. I found that coating the cedar with clear to help hold the veneer together when cutting to fit.

post-3862-0-37000800-1390886946_thumb.jp

K, I have to give you a Wicked Pissa! on this one.

I hate what that kit represents - MPC AMT ruined a perfectly good kit of a Chevy Panel Van to make that kit - but you are proving that maybe you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Nice job.

Edited by Nitro Neil

Thank's for the kind words from everyone, to answer Darren question. I took the doors from the Vampire van and glue a thin plastic sheet on to the doors, then cut more plastic sheeting to the shapes need to make the Tikis. I glued the pieces together with Plastic weld and coated the whole Tiki with more Plastic weld to soften the edges. post-3862-0-06519500-1391389714_thumb.jp

Then i painted both doors with a Pagan Gold.post-3862-0-96996900-1391389895_thumb.jp

I then painted over the doors with the Limetime Green and used paint thinner to see the gold again. I am thinking about highlighting the Tikis with a thin black wash. I wish I could Pin-stripe the Tikis but I am unsure about how to get a thin line with paint.