Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Cadillac Eldorado Seville Hardtop

mrmike

Thanks John!

The Story

The following morning finds McNally at the office of his part-time employer, Attorney Charlotte "Charlie" Rothmann asking if the Parregrin's were clients and Charlie replied that they were not. She made a couple of phone calls and found that they were clients of Fitch, Bracken, and Brown and that she had set a meeting with their associate lawyer, David Whitham. When McNally arrived at their offices, he was greeted by Attorney Whitham and they sat down to discuss their clients. The Caddy was under contract for sale to a collector in Connecticut and the only possible heir was The Parregrin's estranged son, Derek, who was left out of the will by his parents. The son is believed to be residing in the Springfield area of Massachusetts. Attorney Whitham didn't have the collector's information and left the conference room to fetch the information leaving the client file on the table and McNally quickly thumbed through it looking for any additional info that the lawyer wouldn't otherwise give up. Attorney Whitham comes back with the collectors info and says he will talk to the partners about compensation for McNally's investigation.

The Build

This afternoon, I gave the Caddy a light polishing and it brought out a nice shine. I found a couple of flaws that will need a little attention, but nothing major. I really like this color as it has a kind of a copper-like appearance to it.

Caddy14.jpg

Caddy15.jpg

Caddy16.jpg

McNally Will Return...

That colour looks even nicer in that light , Mike !

John, while the color is not "traditional", but it does appeal to me and I do think it looks good.

I hope that my reply didn't seem as though I was questioning your choice of colour here ; quite the opposite ! Truly , I was more intrigued by the availability of that colour , as I'd never seen it before (or perhaps I just passed it over without even perusing it ?)

I applaud "breaking-the-norm" , and you've consistantly delivered in that arena :) .

I also truly enjoy the accompanying stories to your builds as well . Being of creative capacity myself (visual artist and creative writer) , I always dig on multimedia presentations :D .

Edited by 1972coronet

John, the color I choose was not even in the list of available colors for the '59 Caddy. I had this jar of paint for several years now and I thought the color would look great on this behemoth and I was right. An automotive journalist friend of mine has told me that I seem to pick the right colors and make the right mods on my builds that really suit the subject at hand. If that is true, then I do know what I like! ;) This metallic brown does have a bit of a copper hint to it and that looks just right on the Caddy. I do have a creative side to me and it varies from one end of the scale to the other as time goes by. The stories I create are currently my way of showing that creativity and while it has been suggested that I publish my stories, they have a long way to go before they would be suitable for publication. I can just see the rejection notices coming through the door now... :o

The Story

As McNally walks back to his car, his cell phone rings with a call from his girlfriend, Caitlyn Scotsen. She is calling to set up a date for lunch to which the Boston PI offers a rain check as he is heading out to Springfield, Mass. to look for the Parregrin's son and then down to Connecticut to interview the collector buying his late client's Caddy. Caitlyn says that it is not a problem and offers dinner instead if he gets back to Boston early enough. McNally says that this is fine and he will call her when he gets back into Boston. She wishes him a safe trip and he says thanks and ends the call.

The Build

I do know that there will be a lot of foiling to be done on this Caddy. But, some of my foiling time may be cut in half if i use the kit decals which look like chrome foil.

Caddy17.jpg

A different angle showing the reflectiveness of the decals.

Caddy18.jpg

I was going to use embossing powder on the floor, but the engraved detail looks really good, so I may not be using the powder.

Caddy19.jpg

McNally Will Return...

Thanks Samuel!

The Story

McNally stops at the BPD Homicide Unit to talk with Sgt. Adam Troy before heading out of town to Springfield. Adam hands McNally the latest reports on the case while Det. Darvell watches in disgust.

“I should have a copy of the ME report for you in a day or two. CSU has found lots of finger prints on the Cadillac’s trunk and tail fins, probably from pushing the car out of the garage.”

“Any hits on the prints,” asks McNally?

”No, not yet. How about you,” asks Adam?

“I’m going out to Springfield to interview Walter and Mary’s estranged son if I can find him. Then I’m heading down to Portland, Connecticut to interview the buyer of the Caddy. I talked to the Parregrins’ lawyer this morning. He gave me the address for the buyer and a possible location on the son. Has Darvell found anything yet?”

“Nothing yet,” says Darvell

“Like I told you last night, Adam…ineffective,” as McNally walks out of Adam’s office.

The Build

I did some brush painting on the interior tonight. It didn't come out too bad, but I do need to do a little cleanup in a few places and the carpet will get a coat of flat clear to knock down the shine.

Caddy20.jpg

Caddy21.jpg

Caddy22.jpg

McNally, Boston PI Will Return...

The Story

McNally stops at a gas station in Springfield to top off the Charger’s gas tank. He goes in to pay for the gas and asks if there is a phone book he could look through. The attendant takes his money and hands over a Springfield area phone book. He flips the pages to P and looks for Parregrin and finds only one…Derek Parregrin. The address shows 153 Shanna Road in Springfield itself. He hands back the book and thanks the attendant who only grunts something that might have been “Your welcome.” Back in the Charger, McNally enters the address into his GPS and finds the route to 153 Shanna Road starts the car and heads back onto the highway.

The Build

I started on the Caddy 390 CI engine this evening.

Caddy23.jpg

Caddy24.jpg

I also started detailing the dash.

Caddy25.jpg

McNally Will Return...

The Story

As McNally walks back to his car, his cell phone rings with a call from his girlfriend, Caitlyn Scotsen. She is calling to set up a date for lunch to which the Boston PI offers a rain check as he is heading out to Springfield, Mass. to look for the Parregrin's son and then down to Connecticut to interview the collector buying his late client's Caddy. Caitlyn says that it is not a problem and offers dinner instead if he gets back to Boston early enough. McNally says that this is fine and he will call her when he gets back into Boston. She wishes him a safe trip and he says thanks and ends the call.

The Build

I do know that there will be a lot of foiling to be done on this Caddy. But, some of my foiling time may be cut in half if i use the kit decals which look like chrome foil.

Caddy17.jpg

A different angle showing the reflectiveness of the decals.

Caddy18.jpg

I was going to use embossing powder on the floor, but the engraved detail looks really good, so I may not be using the powder.

Caddy19.jpg

McNally Will Return...

speaking from experience, they don't stick very good, and over time start to peel and lift

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Phil! I'll keep that in mind when I start back working on the body again.

The Story
McNally arrives at the slightly run-down looking home of Derek Parregrin and parks in front of the house. He goes and knocks on the front door and waits until a man pulls back the curtain and angrily says, "What'ya want?" McNally identifies himself and asks to talk to Derek Parregrin who reluctantly lets the PI into the house, but keeps him in the foyer. His responses to McNally questions about his parents surprised him as Derek is quite angry and answers the PI's questions with short and rather vague answers. Derek then tells McNally that he has an appointment to get to and ushers the PI abruptly out and slams the door behind him. McNally gets into his Charger and as he drives away, notices the old truck parked in the driveway.
The Build
After two weeks of not being able to work on the Caddy, I was able to start working on the engine again. I drilled out the heads for plug wires and painted the engine block with Testors Gloss Dark Blue enamel paint.
Caddy26.jpg
I had previously glued the intake manifold onto the block and removed it to paint under the manifold and the valley cover.
Caddy27.jpg
With the manifold painted, I reglued it back onto the engine.
Caddy28.jpg
McNally Will Return...

Thanks guys! I have been wondering about the chrome decals in this kit. I may try one and see how it goes. If it fails, then I'll use BMF.

The Story
McNally drives up to the corner and takes a left onto a side street, quickly does a 180 degree spin and pulls up to the corner and stops the Charger. He didn't have to wait long when he sees the old truck, a flatbed wrecker, pull out of the driveway of Derek's house and drives off in the opposite direction. McNally pulls back out onto Shanna Road and hangs back far enough to keep the old truck barely in sight. McNally follows the truck for several miles until he comes to a railroad crossing and the gate come down stopping traffic. He loses sight of Derek's truck...one of the downfalls of tailing a suspect alone. It is just as well as he needs to start heading down to Connecticut to interview the buyer of Walter's old '59 Caddy.
The Build
I spent some time painting small parts today and I'm about 95% done. Some parts require more than one color and some require a second coat of paint.
Caddy29.jpg
Caddy30.jpg
Caddy31.jpg
McNally Will Return...

The Story
Once free of the railroad crossing, McNally turns his Charger towards Rt. 91 and Connecticut to meet with the collector, a gentleman named Wayne. He arrives at Wayne's collector car business and walks into the showroom and is greeted by Wayne himself. They sit down in Wayne's office to talk about the Caddy and the sale of the car.
“Where is the Cadillac now,” asks Wayne.
“It is the Boston Police Impound Garage as evidence.”
“I don’t suppose they’ll be releasing the car anytime soon, will they?”
“Not until after the investigation has concluded and maybe after the trial if someone has been caught,” says McNally.
“How unfortunate. I may have a potential buyer for the car. I guess it’ll have to wait,” replies Wayne.
“Probably. Has anyone approached you about the car besides your potential buyer?”
“No, no one. Just the one buyer whom I have known for years. I can’t divulge his name, but I can forward any questions to him if you have any.”
McNally says he doesn't have any questions for the potential buyer at this time, but he will call Wayne if he does. McNally decides to leave before he spends money he doesn't have on an AC Cobra that is on display in the showroom and get back to Boston for dinner with Caitlyn.
The Build
Chassis assembly is underway!
Caddy32.jpg
The distributor and coil have been wired.
Caddy33.jpg
A mockup of the engine and chassis.
Caddy34.jpg
McNally Will Return...

speaking from experience, they don't stick very good, and over time start to peel and lift

I agree about the chrome trim it does not conform to the cerves very well BMF is much better. cool caddy BTW

I agree with both Mike! Dont use this :angry:-chromedecals, bmf is the first choice.

The convertible had some stickers that i used, as i was at the beginning of my "career" - loooong time ago.

I built the same Seville two years ago and today i made a shooting again (to test my new camera). This Decals from the Seville are no way better...i remember, that they adhered miserable and now they lift off on some points.

The second fault with it: i painted clearcoat as always after using bmf and decals. Those decals are slightly wrinkled. No good chioce. If i will build this beautiful kit again, i kick them and use bmf at all trim. The work is worth it.

Go one buddie! I like what i see and looking forward to see it with all the chrome.

What have you planed with the vinyl roof?

• 2 weeks later...

Dominik, I plan on leaving the vinyl roof as is in the color I painted it with. I may add a clearcoat of semi-gloss clear before it is completed.

The Story
McNally returns to Boston in time to meet Caitlyn for dinner. He tells her about his day and his trip to Springfield. Caitlyn tells McNally of her desire to return home to visit with her folks and friends someday soon. With the weekend almost here, they both can travel to Springfield and she can visit with her parents and friends while McNally investigates Derek Parregrin further, including a late night visit to Derek's house and a closer look at the flatbed wrecker. They leave the restaurant and head for McNally's Charger Daytona parked just down the street when McNally's cell phone rings. The call is from one of McNally's longtime informants and he answers the call and says, "Zachy, what's up?" Zachy replies, "Meet me at the diner. I'm in trouble." "Stay there. I'm on my way!"
The Build
I know, I know...it's been a couple of weeks since an update on this build. Well, here's an update...the interior is underway. I detailed the side panels using chrome silver and metalizer paints and installed them along with the seats.
Caddy35.jpg
Caddy36.jpg
Caddy37.jpg
McNally Will Return...