Model Cars Magazine Forum

sanding tools

gtx6970

Just an fyi,

I found out recently using the wifes fiber backed fingernail files makes for great body sanding tools.They come in several sizes and several grits in both flexible and some are fairly rigid .

Now I just need to buy the Ms's a new set

Edited by gtx6970

Walgeeens is my go to source for sanding sticks, especially their house brand, the name of which escapes me now. They come in packs of two, and every three months or so they are on sale for "buy one get one half-off". They're usually priced at $1.97 for the two-pack, so they're cheap, and with a Walgreens on just about every corner around here, easy to find.

i like those "U" shaped sanders but the proprietary refills are too much for me $$$.

took a piece of welding rod & an alligator clip JB welded to the ends and made my own. made 2 sizes but it was not a real scientific process. about the width of your had across the knuckles is right.

using wet/ dry sandpaper, i back it with masking tape (blue if anyone cares), cut it in strips to suit whatever i'm sanding, fold it over the end without the clip, and land both ends in the clip. the wire keeps a decent amount of tension and it's cheap.

had great aspirations of making several to accomodate different grits and widths of paper (1/4" - 5/8" by eye), but it's so simple to change out 2 is doing me fine.