Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ooops I did it again....

Sorry for the disappointment is not Britney Spears posting here, just a poor modeler.... I did it again and ordered R&R kits. As far as Steve at Star Kohler is concerned I can only say five stars service, but Steve is not the problem, rather his supplier..... I always thought about combining Modelhaus '57 Ford custom 300 and the Country Squire Wagon conversion kit to make a Tudor Ranch Wagon Del Rio, but when I saw the pictures of the R&R model (http://resinrealm.net/Star/RRGalleries/Ford/index.html) I thought why the hassle? It was clear from the pictures that the Del Rio was based on the ancient Revell Ranchero. This did not annoy me because what can go wrong during converting a Ranchero to a Del Rio by a professional caster? What I received was a clean but poorly cast model blown in the middle like a melon with a hanging down roof. While this may be (hopefully) corrected with some hot water and a bit of pressure, the second kit is, to me at least, a total fiasco.... The second kit is an '58 Edsel Roundup (http://resinrealm.net/Star/RRGalleries/Edsel/Edsel.html). Again, blown in the middle like the Ford. While both cars shared the 116 inch wheel base, preliminary inspection revealed they did not in model. The Edsel is apparently mastered from a larger model. Door grooves are not there and front fender recess is too shallow. The major disaster is the side trim. It goes too deep down to the vent window, and is too faint to apply bare metal foil. It seems I will have to sand the side trim, glue a front from an AMT body, and finally apply new side trim to get this model done. But if we take the useless interior into account, which I was going to redo anyway, I keep asking myself why the hell did I buy these kits if I am going to re-engineer them from the bottom up??

Frustrating frustrating frustrating.....

There once was a time when R&R was one of the best around. As the resin market and technique improved, Modelhaus flew past them. The only resin kits that are worse are TKM.

R&R has pushed for "quanity" and not "quality".

I have built a few R&R cars, but if you buy one, plan on doing ALOT of grinding and modification to make things fit right and look right. Fresh molds might make nicer castings, but they run the molds until they are dead.

MHO.

I bought a '57 Squire wagon from a guy on Ebay awhile back and I am still wondering what to do with it. It's a resin kit and the body is actually very decent and acceptable. I somehow doubt that the guy cast both the body and interior because the interior fits like - well - *sighs* It's warped and you can see where someone brushed more resin on the floor pan to give it some thickness, but it is still transparent. The seats are decent but that interior tub - well - pathetic is being charitable.
I have three choices here as I see it - throw the whole darned thing away - blacken the windows and build a curbside sans interior - try to combine a Ranchero kit with the resin interior. This means drilling and blasting - cutting things apart and joining styrene and resin - I think that I can do it by modifying the Ranchero side panels and using the resin seats and rear floor area wit the third seat. I am not sure what kit this wagon is derived from as the Revell ranchero grille doesn't come even close to fitting. reckon I'll try an AMT kit and see what it's like.
Buying resin from casters who are not well known is a gamble at best. I know how you feel and I can identify with your frustration and buyer's remorse. Bin der - dun dat.

Edited by Casey

I bought a '57 Squire wagon from a guy on Ebay awhile back and I am still wondering what to do with it.

Maybe you can find some inspiration in the following link:

http://public.fotki.com/Zelkam/stock/ford-1957-sw/

blacken the windows and build a curbside sans interior -

What about a pahntom sedan delivery or emergency with a custom interior?

• 1 month later...

Short update: I received my latest R&R creation few days ago: 1958 Dodge Royal..... This kit is far better than the ones mentioned above. Except for the interior, which is a useless promo style interior, the quality is very reasonable and the kit is buildable. Not a Modelhaus level but very reasonable.

Being stung a few times, i will NEVER buya R&R kit EVER again! I had the unfortunate chance to meet the creator of all of the R&R stuff in Toledo a few years back. I carefully chose the subject i wanted from his vast table of resin subjects, asked to "see another" because the quality wasnt the best on the table model, and was promptly told to "take a hike" in not so friendly tone. What a Jerk!! I WILL NOT be back again. I will do my best to spread the word to stay away. Steve Kohler is an all star, very kool dude!

Wheat's Nostalgia use to offer the Edsel Roundup and Ranch Wagon.

But at some time stopped selling kits and only sold completed built versions.

Anyone know if Joe is still active??

John Heyer in New York also offered resin copies of the Revell 57 Squire, but

again, I have not heard if JR Toy & Hobby was active.

Same with Bob Swartz in Savannah, Mo.