Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **New update,15/1/18**

ShawnS

Maybe you should change your handle to MrObsessive #2! Amazing work!!

I take it you have a shop manual of this particular car? The small details you're including are quite impressive! B)

Thanks. Yeah I've been using an aftermarket shop manual. It's not as comprehensive (or expensive) as the factory manual and most of the pics in it could only be described as super lo-res but it has helped a bit. I have also amassed a large collection of reference pics from all over the net. Thankfully for me, these cars had a long life (1979-1987) over three different models and they have a big fan base in OZ so there are forums and threads galore to grab pics from.

Back to the build. Here is how the chassis ended up looking. It's a fair bit different from the original Mustang chassis.

p8280789.jpg

Then I started making the engine. I originally planned to builld it as a curbside but eventually I decided to go all the way and include an engine. I had the choice of tracking down a resin engine from the US and modifying it for my needs but as it probably would have taken weeks for it to arrive, I decided to make my own in the same amount of time.

The block. I started with a basic rectangular box and added detail from there.

p1030888d.jpg

p1030887.jpg

Made a sump. It has 22 hex bolt heads from T2M.

p1030266g.jpg

Timing cover

p1030262m.jpg

Crank pulley

p1030363y.jpg

Water pump

p1030261y.jpg

I found a fuel pump from my spares box and modified it to suit.

p1030369uz.jpg

Intake manifold

p1030365r.jpg

The underside of the intake manifold

p1030367.jpg

To be continued..

Cheers

ShawnS

Then I made a crossflow cylinder head.

p1030345w.jpg

p1030346e.jpg

The intake side of the cylinder head didn't need a lot of detail but once the manifold is on it looks fine.

p1030347c.jpg

Rocker cover

p1030343r.jpg

Thermostat cover

p1030355ys.jpg

The head with the manifold, rocker cover and the thermostat cover.

p1030341u.jpg

Then I made a carby. I started with a Best resin weber, cut it up and added more detail. Only a small section of the original part was left.

p1030340vg.jpg

p1030339b.jpg

p1030338l.jpg

p1030337c.jpg

Stay tuned for more

Cheers

ShawnS

What tools are you using for this build? Tim

Hi Tim. I'm not using any really special tools for this just the basic stuff like x-acto blades, a pencil, a steel ruler, small drillbits, a scriber, lots of sand paper etc.

Yesterday I had hoped to continue on from what I gave you but my computer and Imageshack weren't the best of friends so I pulled the plug for the night.

Here is more of the engine. I added a distributor from a Tamiya Sierra and a fan from a '69 Camaro, The fan is mounted on a scratch built pulley. I also made an oil filter from a bit of evergreen tube.

p1030329x.jpg

The air cleaner is made from an 80's Mustang air cleaner and parts of 2 wheel backs as well as evergreen.

p1030428x.jpg

The alternator is from a 64 Mustang and it's mounted to a scratchbuilt A/C unit. Both parts are dressed up with MCG PE.

p1030422c.jpg

The bell housing is originally from a 64 Mustang. I sanded off all of the kit detail and replaced it with my own.

p1030418.jpg

p1030417fy.jpg

The starter motor is from the same Tamiya kit that the distributor is from.The belts are just some tape.

p1030412l.jpg

p1030411w.jpg

I also had to make the gearbox. It's a Borg-Warner 4 speed single rail.

p1030457px.jpg

p1030456zk.jpg

p1030458v.jpg

One thing that's missing from the engine at the moment is the exhaust manifold. It's a really odd shape thats hard to replicate and it's had me stumped for a while so instead of putting the whole project on hold I decided to worry about it later and to move on to the interior.

Thanks for your kind comments guys. I'm glad you guys are liking what you are seeing. Don't be affraid to holler out any questions that you may have. I'll be happy to answer.

Next up- The interior.

Cheers

ShawnS