Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/18 parts in a 1/16 model?

How big is the difference between the two scales? I would like to update the interior of a 1/16 scale kit and alot of the 1/18 scale sports cars 8am be picked up pretty cheap. I'm wondering would the seats, steering wheel, and accessories look ot of scale?

It all depends on what the kit is and what the 1/18 diecast is. I know that there can be quite a bit of difference between 1/24 and 1/25, so it all gets down to specifics.

For example, I have a "1/18" Bburago Bugatti T59 metal kit, which is actually somewhere between 1/16 and 1/15 (apparently so Bburago could use the same wire wheels on all their classic diecasts). I can use parts from other 1/16 kits with no problem.

On the other hand, I have a 1/16 Mercedes SS kit that can rob parts from a 1/18 Bburago Mercedes SSK without a lot of visible differences.

As I said, it just depends on the kits.

Edited by sjordan2

Generally, I've found parts from both scales do not swap well and look correct. Things such as wheels, which come in various diameters/sizes can be made to work, since a 16" wheel in 1/18 will look like a 14" or 15" wheel in 1/16 scale, but they will almost always requires significant modification to look right in a different scale.

Well it looks like I'm going to have to use 1/18th scale seat belts as after exhaustive searching, I can't find anyone that makes seatbelt hardware in 1/16th in P/E. Hope that works out.

Mike, I have 1/16 - 1/18 scale 5 Point Racing Harness Sets. I do not have them on my site as of yet as I will do an "official" release in the near future but they are available for sale at this time. The kit comes with white metal buckles, textured material for belts and instructions. Give me a call or PM me if interested. I will also have a number of detailing parts to be released in this scale in the near future.

Charlie

Pro Tech

321-960-0532

Edited by Pro Tech