Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reference for 1931 Bugatti

I'm starting a Lindberg kit of a 1931 Bugatti Royale Victoria and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some reference material regarding engine,interior,undercarriage,etc. I'm mostly trying to figure out the proper colors for everything.Any help will be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

Whenever I need reference phots my first step is always a thorough google search. I'll type in various relevant topics..."1931 Bugatti", "Bugatti restoration", etc. until I find what I need. Generally I find all I need online. If that doesn't work, my plan B would be amazon.com, or the local library.

But definitely do an online search first...it's fast and it's free!

I'm starting a Lindberg kit of a 1931 Bugatti Royale Victoria and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some reference material regarding engine,interior,undercarriage,etc. I'm mostly trying to figure out the proper colors for everything.Any help will be greatly appreciated. :angry:

Never heard of a "Victoria" terminology for this car. Can you post the kit box art or be more specific about the details on this car? There's tons of info out there on a variety of Bugatti Royale versions, which you can access with searches on Google (search in Google images) or on eBay ("all categories," which will turn up everything on the subject from books to parts to models, etc) - you just have to bookmark it and keep looking every day.

That particular Bugatti Type 41 is the one that is currently in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI. The model represents tha car as it is today, not as it was originally built. The original was black with yellow trim, and was the sole subject of a book called "The Complete Car Modeller 2" by Gerald Wingrove published in 1991 and again in 1994. You can actually combine the parts from the Lindberg kit with parts from one of the Testor/Italeri kits and come up with a very good replica of the original car.

Specifically, the car is chassis number 41121, and is more accurately known as a Drophead Coupe, made by Weinberger of Munich. It was the third Type 41 built, and was made to the order of Dr. A. Joseph Fuchs. The book 'Le pur-sang des automobiles' by H. G. Conway has extensive coverage of this car, and the story of how it was discovered in a junkyard in New York City in 1943, and rescued by Mr. Charles Chayne - a VP at General Motors. Conway's book has a lot of detailed description of what Chayne changed on the car and why he changed it to get it to its current state in the museum.

I have a plan to build that kit, but in the car's original form, not today's.

Edited by Dave in Seattle

Thanks for the info guys.

Dave-You're right on with your info.The problem I'm having is in trying to find any detailed pics of the car.When I checked the Henry Ford museum site,all I could find was one pic of the car which basically only gives you an overall idea of the body color. I'll have to see if I can track down a copy of "The Complete Car Modeller 2" either on line or at the library.

Dave-You're right on with your info.The problem I'm having is in trying to find any detailed pics of the car.When I checked the Henry Ford museum site,all I could find was one pic of the car which basically only gives you an overall idea of the body color. I'll have to see if I can track down a copy of "The Complete Car Modeller 2" either on line or at the library.

There's one of those book on the bay right now. Check out item 250156323487

You are on the right track with reference. If you want I can scan some of my articles and photos and send them to you if you can send me your e-mail address. Dave is right about the Wingrove book being the best resource for that car.

The one big issue I have with that kit is that the fenders are not well done. If you look closely you will see that the fenders need to be skirted more all around. Some Evergreen strip and a little putty should cure that. Lindberg made them very flat like a mid 20s car but that body was done in 1930 and everything by that time was being somewhat skirted. The kit exhaust system is very goofy also. I would make a new one from brass rod or thick solder. Otherwise it is actually a fine kit.

It has been boxed and sold by Entex, Gunze Sangyo who then sent it to Revell of Germany. Someone at Revell USA thought that would be a neat thing to import here so that kit was also sold here as Revell import!!! In addition there have been the 2 or 3 releases from Lindberg.

Looking forward to seeing both Tony and Dave's builds of this car! :o<_<

That is exactly what you need. The whole book is devoted to Wingrove's scratch build of this car and includes 17 color pictures (including those on the covers) and scads of black and white photos, complete with parts diagrams and crisp engineering drawings of body, chassis, suspension, engine etc.

PS: Go to www.geraldwingrove.com, go to the bottom of the page and click on Bugatti. It'll take you to a 15-picture gallery of this car.

Edited by sjordan