Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lonestar beater FINISHED!

Well, that's the plan at the moment. So far I've worked out the wheels and tires.

1-vi.jpg

A worn-out truck with a worn-out suspension and steering is going to chew up its front tires in pretty short order, so I attacked the tires with files and sandpaper.

2-vi.jpg

The first signs of grime on the front rollers, brought to you courtesy of Testors Dullocote and a wash of thinned Tamiya flat black.

3-vi.jpg

Rear wheels/tires were dealt with in a similar manner, but I decided I wanted at least four good tires on the back... ended up with six, so mission accomplished there!

I'll probably start on the interior next- it'll be dirty, grungy, and cluttered, and more than likely just plain trashed in a few areas. The idea here is to just have fun and build something that looks the way a 2012 Lonestar might look around, oh, 2032 or so, after it's been through a series of cheapskate owners and a couple million miles of (hard) service.

Edited by Michigan Madman

Well.... might be a big fat liar. I think I'll start doing a few body panels, then do the interior. The hood will be mismatched with the cab paint color, and I'm planning on adding a bit of light collision damage here and there. Hopefully I'll have some time to work on it today.

This morning/afternoon's work-

4-vi.jpg

I used Duplicolor 'Rust' hued primer to prime the steel parts on the cab- the areas still in bare plastic are fiberglass on the 1:1 truck.

5-vi.jpg

I moderately mangled the grille, bending, breaking, and removing a few bars here and there.

6-vi.jpg

I painted and assembled the hood. Paint is Duplicolor Sunburst Gold (I'm going by memory on that one- the label with the name of the color is long gone) and VHT Burnt Copper header paint for the passenger side fender. The cloudy passenger's side lamp assembly is shored up with the Handyman's Secret Weapon... Duct Tape, for those of you unaware of the fact. ;) The driver's side lens is still relatively clear, depicting a new(er) replacement piece.

But that lens did not go through unscathed...

7-vi.jpg

I swiped it with a piece of 220 grit sandpaper, and did the same to the fender, to simulate mild damage, perhaps the type caused by the truck being run into a shrub. Or a row of shrubs. Or a small tree. Haven't quite perfected it yet, but so far I like the look of it.

Dont forget to push the bumper in too! I actually saw one the other day, looks like he didnt see that yellow cement post after all! haha

I've actually been toying with the idea of running a wooden bumper up front. That might be caryying the theme just a little too far, but I guess I'll mull it over and see what I think when the time comes.

Well, rolling chassis is pretty much dialed in.

9-vi.jpg

Still needs a few tweaks and parts added, but this is pretty much the gist. I didn't worry about the fuel tank seams, as they won't be visible when the truck is built.

And I couldn't resist a test fit of the cab and hood, if for no other reason than to see how they'd look on the frame. ^_^

8-vi.jpg

Edited by Michigan Madman

Guest Johnny

Dont forget to push the bumper in too! I actually saw one the other day, looks like he didnt see that yellow cement post after all! haha

Or at least a bumper that looks like it were pushed back and then pulled back out from the tire (possibly with a ratchet strap) by the driver and pulled out a little too far but still with that rolled under look! :lol:

Or at least a bumper that looks like it were pushed back and then pulled back out from the tire (possibly with a ratchet strap) by the driver and pulled out a little too far but still with that rolled under look! :lol:

Another idea I'm considering. Again, we'll see what happens.

Threw a few more widgets on today, and made a few modifications.

10-vi.jpg

I removed the driver's side door handle (it was broken, after all...) and made up the 'stamped' detail behind it. If it looks a little mangled, that's okay... the wire coat hanger that will replace it would probably rip up the sheet metal just a little bit. :D

11-vi.jpg

The skirts are on, and I added a little diesel sludge. This lazy truck driver always seems to overflow the tanks, and/or slop some on the skirts when he fills up. And when he leaves, the loose fuel blows back and runs down the sides of the truck. I tried to replicate that by adding a thinned black wash and then using a hair dryer pointed to the rear of the chassis to blow the wash to the back of the truck, and to help it dry faster.

And bringing up the rear...

12-vi.jpg

I cut off both mudflaps, and made one new one from thinner plastic. The weight is another piece of .020" styrene covered in BMF, and the lady is a Detail Master PE piece. The right taillamp housing was, shall we say, tweaked a bit, and the mud flap on that side is missing. I also drilled out the left hand backup light. The frame had a bit of a warp, but I chose not to fix it, as I doubted a truck this used and abused would still have an arrow-straight frame.

This is really a nice build, always easy to build them and shiny !! Takes a lot of work to get the tired old look !!

Looking forward to the end build !!

Rick

easy to build shiny???????????????????? i have to dissagree with that comment. it takes skill and attention to detail to build either way......used or super clean.

i think this is a very creative build, nice job so far.

Edited by showbuilder

I really have to say one thing first- for all that's been said about how unclear the instructions are on this kit (and they are pretty lacking in areas), the kit goes together logically and quite well, once you have it all figured out, especially considering the high parts count! I still would not hand this kit to a novice, but considering I have practically no experience with building semi/large truck models (I can count all of my completed builds of said subject on one hand) this kit really hasn't fought me all that much.

Anywho, started work on the cab's finish. I used the salt technique and a little selective sanding to distress it- it still needs a bit of fine tuning, but this is the gist. Oh, those tabs molded along the rockers don't seem to serve any purpose, so I removed them after I snapped this photo.

13-vi.jpg

I recently saw an early 1990's-ish Freightliner with a piece of plywood in place of a broken sleeper window, so I cut a few thin scraps of birch to make such a panel for my Lonestar.

14-vi.jpg

I wanted to replicate a missing inside door panel, so the driver's side piece was filed down and openings were cut into it as shown. It's not a 100% accurate depiction of the 'nekkid' inner door structure, but it'll do for me. Much of it will be somewhat obscured one installed, anyhow.

15-vi.jpg

I stuck a parts-box power window switch onto the door, and used some scrap copper wires to represent the harness leading to the motor in the door. Just like the one in my buddy Matt's '81 Regal back in high school!

17-vi.jpg

I borrowed another cue from beaters I've seen and duct-taped a trash bag to the door to cut down a bit on drafts, and cover up the open holes in the door. The duct tape is BMF, while the trash bag is a small piece cut from a real trash bag. Another scrap of birch wood was glued across the top.

18-vi.jpg

The interior isn't too badly trashed- it's more or less inspired by the conditon of my cousin's old Transtar Eagle before it was hauled off. The ripped up driver's side bucket seat got a little duct tape of its own, a few old newspapers were strewn about, and there's a box from a wiper blade on the floor, and a case of Bar's Leaks nearby. The interior is also grimed up a bit. Might add a bit more, but those are the main elements.

19-vi.jpg

Hopefully I'll have the cab permanently installed later today, I guess we'll just have to see. B)

Well, cab is installed for keeps... would have been sooner if I hadn't inadvertently broken the right rear cab mount. :blink:

Added a couple of stone pecks, one of which sprouted a crack.

20-vi.jpg

I assembled and painted the air intact ducts, and repaired a hole with an old Hills Bros. coffee can and (you guessed it) more duct tape. Hey, at least the tape is being used on an actual duct for a change!

21-vi.jpg

Here it is in place.

22-vi.jpg

And here is the hood installed- I did tweak the hinge a little for best possible fit, but getting close now!

23-vi.jpg