Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the story behind your user name/avatar?

59 Impala is my screen name because I like 59 Impala's. I had one back in the day with the 348 and three on the tree. Ran like a raped ape. My first really fast car and I really loved it. I wish that I still had it. My Avatar is a model I built of the one I owned back then. :) Dan

My user name is My name. It was Zukiholic.(user name, not my 1:1 name)

Photo is a Custom Suzuki Aerio SX (not mine)

My cars are Zukis.

1995 Suzuki SideKick

165354_1654855142846_1581097396_1508259_1725208_n.jpg

and my other car is also a Zuki

06 Suzuki Aerio SX AWD (it's the Lil Red Car) but I let my G/F drive it and now I can't get it back from her.

164732_1654860862989_1581097396_1508264_5330675_n.jpg

and my one and only Tat

CopyoftattoSuperZuk150x1502.jpg

This thread is a great idea! It's a good way to get to know other guys on the site and how they see themselves.

I've owned Corvairs ever since November of 1980, when I bought one as a used car to get myself and my wife and baby daughter around. It seems that the '65 Chevy II 4-door I had died and I needed to replace it. I wanted a fun-to-drive car that would be decent on gas... and it just about had to be a Chevy! (I was raised on Chevrolets and, car guy that I was and am, I was and am fanatical about Chevys!) I found a guy advertising a pair of Corvairs in the Philadelphia Inquirer, so I made an appointment to check them both out. After a 10 minute test drive in a dark green 1965 Monza coupe with a 4-speed, I was sold on it! Over the following decades, I've owned about 10 more Corvairs, everything from a 1961 Greenbrier window van and a 1961 Lakewood station wagon through a 1965 Corsa converible. My most recent one, which I had to sell for economic reasons (###### this economy!) was a '66 Monza coupe with it's factory 140 h.p., 4-carb engine worked to the point that it put over 220 ponies to the rear wheels, enough to flat run away from just about any 5.0 Mustang.

056.jpg

Anyhow, with this background, my screen name on every website I'm on and e-mail have been CorvairJim just about ever sinced I first went online in the mid 1990's.

My avatar is just an image I found on another website I'm on. It's actually the avatar of a fellow member of that site, but I liked it so much that I got his permission to use it myself on any site he's not on himself. I might start changing it up every now and then too, to show off photos of my '66 Monza.

the first car i bought when i came to this country was a 94 mitsubishi mirage

i didnt have any money to make any modifications so i made do with cheap junkyard parts that i modified myself (Do It Yourself)

so when i joined the mirage performance forums i came up with the screen name DIYmirage

heres a shot of the car, hood scoop from a subaru impreza

front bumper from a mitsubishi eclipse (had to resculp the headlight sections of the bumper to make it fit)

aftermarket side skirts from a 97 eclipse, also needed some extensive fiberglass work in the rear section

car1.jpg

burn31.jpg

not that i was new to this home made car modding, before the mirage i owned a opel kadett (pontiac lemans) with a homegrown sheet metal body kit and hoodscoops from a rover

kadett.jpg

as for my avatar, that a model car i build for the wife a few years ago (thats her on the hood)

These are all great stories, so here is mine,-----My screen name was given to me many years ago by a very good friend who ran the the Pegasus hobby show in "cali" ( Rikk Hicks), He also ran the first model club I was in, he gave me the name because of what I do to plastic, case in point, this WAS an original, complete "California Hauler" Pete,SDC13248.jpg

as for an avatar---haven't found one the suites me yet

Edited by plasticbutcher

I've been using this name for quite a while. I was looking for a name to use on AOL Instant Messenger years ago, and since my name is pretty common, I had to come up with something different. I was a submariner, and my name was Jim, so it just came together. I was permanently assigned to 614, 695, and 670, and rode 681, 649, and 606 for anyone who cares.

Avatar pic is of the EMPI Imp dune buggy we owned for a few years (sold to guy in Texas). Jim is my name and I earned the Crazy part when I was serving in Vietnam and then kept the reputation going when I got back to the world. I'm much calmer and civilized nowadays. I don't have a pic but "Crazy" is permanently engraved in my upper arm.

This thread has been more than I ever thought it would be .. interesting thoughts!

My screen name comes from the beginnings of the internet when I suddenly needed a name .. I was working at a Resort called Foxhollow and took that for many years. When I started playing Everquest, someone already had the Foxhollow name (grrr, the nerve!) so it somehow became Foxer and I've used it ever since. THIS site is the first place online that I have ever added my real name on line! That says something for Gregg and everyone on here. ")

My avatar is an engine shot of a Porsche 944 I built while the 1:1 was out in the garage.

Edited by Foxer

Well the first part of my username is well, My First name the 502 is the area code in which i live Louisville Ky,

My avatar picture, well my First car when i was15 was a 63 Vw bug, Then i had a 64 covertable And now I have a 59 vw bug that i am working on..

My screen name is simply the name I have been doing decal art (and other marketable model related tasks) professionally under for most of my life.

The odds are that most of the builders here have used decals I drew, even if the sheet did not have the logo on it.

Scale-Master.jpg

Most of the artwork I have done was for production kit decal sheets, and quite a few aftermarket sheets. While cars are my passion, I also do aircraft. I also create the art for tampo printing and paint masks for production die-casts (of all sizes) and the AFX slot cars.

It is in no way a commentary on how I view myself or my modeling.

The avatar is a shot of my most comprehensive build to date. The “Superb 7”.

My user name comes from the fact that I used to be the track photographer at both New England Dragway and Lebanon Valley Dragway back in the 1990's. I used to like to stand in the starters box and shoot when the nitro cars ran (I have a funny story about the time I did that when the jet cars were running one night too. I lost my ponytail on that deal), so the racers started calling me Nitro Neil.

There is also a real racer named Nitro Neil - I ain't him.

My avatar is a model of a AA/Fuel Altered I built a long time ago that I still think is the best thing I have ever built.

fiat_down-vi.jpg

fiat_engine-vi.jpg

Screen name is my first name initial (Mike) + first 7 letters of my last name, (Candelaria).

My avatar, well I am a Ford Fan, love those 70's Pro-Stocks, (grew up looking at them in the magazines), and The Tijuana Taxi I still think it is the koolest Pro-Stock I have seen.

My user name is from a song my daughter n I like and it was one she learned on guitar,"Bad Luck" by Social Distortion,and the "13" came from part of the lyric she likes "Thirteens my lucky number,to you that means stay inside,black cat done crossed my path,no reason to run and hide....",The avatar is my most precious daughter "Bev" in the Covair that she helped,and I do mean helped get runnin' this past summer..........lifes good :)

Okay, my username is another tough one.

I was a cop. My name was Dan. The jailers always thought it was funny to say "Book'em Danno" every time I brought in a client for complimentary overnight (or extended) accomodations.

And, I never escaped the "Book'em Danno" line from every amateur comedian I ever met. Including our gracious host, who still to this day delights in rolling that one out every time he sees me!

But, it's okay ... that show was HUGE in its first run and the remake currently airing is HUGE as well. The Danno character is important, integral, admirable and there are a lot worse characters one could be compared to. So, 'Danno' has stuck.

Good thing we're not going into past usernames!

Oh, yeah ... the avatar. I discovered that funny little cartoony cactus not long back while surfin' da net. It just seemed appropriate. Sheriff Saguaro of the high Sonoran Desert. It'll change someday, but for now ... we're having fun!

B) = Cool thread, cool post, cool dude, Jim.