Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW unveils new microbus loved by hippies

If they were trying for a "retro" look, they failed ! Looks like almost any other mini-van,.....and I despise mini-vans. At least the old parrot nose bus had character, but this is UGLY ! with a capital "U" that rhymes with "poo" and that's what it looks like,...."Poo" It will probably cost a small fortune too !Justmy 2 cents !!

Edited by kingiguana

with round head lights it dose not look half bad

Think Harry should send them his idea with the round headlights , that s an amazing improvement Harry . Thing is so ugly I would want to hide it somewhere out of site and not show it to the would LOL :lol: Just my opinion

Think Harry should send them his idea with the round headlights , that s an amazing improvement Harry . Thing is so ugly I would want to hide it somewhere out of site and not show it to the would LOL :lol: Just my opinion

Thanks! I agree, it makes a huge difference. Those angular headlights make it look like a giant angry insect! :lol:

I definitely like Harrys design better, but it still looks too much like a larger ELEMENT or one of those other BOXY cars . . . when in doubt go with the vintage design.

I don't understand, what happened to putting curves and tail fins and fat fenders on cars? I miss those.

I've got nothing against it as a new vehicle. What bothers me is corporate exploitation of a wonderful sentimentality for the old microbus on a vehicle that is nothing like the old one beyond the nose emblem. A sentimentality, by the way, that was user generated at a grass roots level. I image a bunch of executive suits in a mahogany board room saying, "Come here homies. We call it the new Microbus because it's cool. Know-what-it-is-that-I-am-saying?

Actually, that Microbus is a development of a concept van that VW showed back about 2002-2003 at all the big new car auto shows. I got the assignment to develop the Johnny Lightning 1/64 scale diecast of it, in early 2003--I wasn't terribly impressed with the looks of the thing, dunno if it sold all that well, even when marketed in our VW-series assortments.

Art

This is the early 2000's concept.

microbus-vi.jpg

I also like Harry's changes he did to the new concept. Lose their squinting eyes, the ridiculous waterfall nose, and you may have something.

BTW, there was a plastic 1/25 promo done of the earlier concept shown above. I have it stashed away. Someday I should hunt it down and photograph it.

Edited by Jon Cole

Considering the first gen VW Type 2 van's forward seating position, a retro design based on it just isn't possible these days. People expect to have a reasonable chance for survival in a frontal impact crash now, and with two layers of sheetmetal being the only cushion, that's just not going to cut it.

VW has the New Beetle for retro appeal, and the re-design will ensure it's around for another decade plus.

Considering the first gen VW Type 2 van's forward seating position, a retro design based on it just isn't possible these days. People expect to have a reasonable chance for survival in a frontal impact crash now, and with two layers of sheetmetal being the only cushion, that's just not going to cut it.

VW has the New Beetle for retro appeal, and the re-design will ensure it's around for another decade plus.

Be a real man and crash a T2!

vw-bus-t1-kastenwagen-unfall.jpg