Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Corvette 'Sock it to Me' ?

CEKPETHO BCE

Other than nostalgia and the decals, I'm not seeing any reason to purchase this kit over Revell's '62. The AMT kit's headlights are tiny and chrome plated(!), and the whole nose looks ad if it was stretched vertically.

Wait, is this about the hardtop, again? :lol:

Other than nostalgia and the decals, I'm not seeing any reason to purchase this kit over Revell's '62. The AMT kit's headlights are tiny and chrome plated(!), and the whole nose looks ad if it was stretched vertically.

Wait, is this about the hardtop, again? :lol:

It must be, and the decals !

• 1 month later...

Has anyone purchased the Sock it To Me reissue? I got it today, it looks the same as what i remember, other than the pad printed slicks and wide whites for the stock version, but im missing 2 wide whites, they only put 2 in my box?? anyone else??

I have to agree with Casey's opinions of this kit . I have one of the "Matchbox era" kits myself . I also well remember the Annual 1962 Corvette with it's opening trunk and some tools too. Uh, it was released as an AMT . Since kits are costing what they are today, I'll take my money and place it on something representative of the subject at hand . Sadly, A M T could have done better by NOT re releasing this piece .....................

Gotta agree. The old AMT kit DOES have problems with the front end. It has NEVER looked right. Headlights just seemed too small.The New Revell 62 kit is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the ol AMT junk. You'd be better off just buyin the slick and tire kits instead of wasteing your money on that 40 yr old AMT kit!

Gotta agree. The old AMT kit DOES have problems with the front end. It has NEVER looked right. Headlights just seemed too small.The New Revell 62 kit is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the ol AMT junk. You'd be better off just buyin the slick and tire kits instead of wasteing your money on that 40 yr old AMT kit!

It's actually over 50 years old..

Edited by Rob Hall

Has anyone purchased the Sock it To Me reissue? I got it today, it looks the same as what i remember, other than the pad printed slicks and wide whites for the stock version, but im missing 2 wide whites, they only put 2 in my box?? anyone else??

I just got 1 at the hobby shop today, and it also only has 2 stock tires. I got a white one, really want an orange one.

Only 58-60's had the chrome bezels. 61's and 62's were body color. You could put 58-60 bezels on a 61-62 if you wanted to "dress" them up a little.

62's didn't have the contrasting cove or the garnish molding around it. That green drag box-art car looks like a 60 with the cove "vents" and the rear end altered to look like a 62. 60's had a large round emblem and no "Corvette" lettering. 62's had a similiar round emblem, but it sat closer to the hood to fit the "Corvette" lettering between it and the grille.

The "custom" headlights are the typical Lucas-style lights with the bulb reflector that AMT put in just about everything during that period. Problem with them is you can never get the "reflector" centered in the hole in the lens, it's always too big and off center.

The AMT kit is a hot mess, it always has been, from day one. The Revell kit was sorely needed, I know everybody cries "not another 'Vette", but the 62 is rather unique and had never been done well by anybody.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Only 58-60's had the chrome bezels. 61's and 62's were body color. You could put 58-60 bezels on a 61-62 if you wanted to "dress" them up a little.

62's didn't have the contrasting cove or the garnish molding around it. That green drag box-art car looks like a 60 with the cove "vents" and the rear end altered to look like a 62.

Ah, that would make sense.

The "custom" headlights are the typical Lucas-style lights with the bulb reflector that AMT put in just about everything during that period.

I recall the '59 El Camino kit included 'em, too. Here's a real '60-'62 Vette with what appear to be Lucas headlights:

6439012d-963a-46c8-b9d2-17a5f00471f8.jpg

I think just about every AMT 3 in 1 kit from the early sixties had Lucas headlights as a customizing part. Probably harder to find one that didn't have them. Some had the tri-bar style and others had the smooth lens with the reflector like you show. They put both styles in the Bumpers and Grilles parts pack.

I remember reading a tip (it may be on here) to use googly eyes from the craft store for the lens part, just cut the back off and use the clear front. The post doesn't stick through, but it looks better than the off-center hole.

I need to track down some that fit the Revell bezels to use on mine, I think they're a cool period custom touch, even though I don't understand why anyone would want to put a British-made electrical component on their car... <_<