Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '50 Oldsmobile Club Coupe 2'n1

Thanks for that, Stu. I'll correct my painting tonight.

So far- the assembly ease of this kit is AMAZING. This thing is almost falling together! I've never built a Tamiya kit- have a couple to get to, but I can see what all the Tamiya builders rave about. This is one of the easiest-to-assemble kits I've ever built.

Charlie Larkin

Is anyone else upset over the fact that Revell says Tampo printed tires on the box but does not actually have them in the kit? It may be a small thing but I know people who bought the Gremlin kit from AMT just to get the slicks that were included. This seems to be false advertising and I've yet to see any explanation/apology for this oversight. In the kit, decals are provided for the whitewalls. but I thought Tampo printing put the lettering/whitewall directly on the tire. I have seen several theories advanced as to why they are not Tampo printed, but I still feel it was wrong to put the kit out with the claim of Tampo printed tires on the box.

Doesn't bother me, either...I painted mine as well. It's likely that even if they had been tampo'd, I'd have stripped them and repainted. :D

As far as the false advertising thing goes, mistakes happen. They probably intended to do them that way then found it problematic from a production standpoint, and the change was missed in the art department. I'm sure it'll be corrected on the next run.

Revell screws up every so often with the box art (remember the pic of the stock grille on the '48 Ford coupe kit that looks nothing like the stock '48 grille and is nowhere to be found in the kit?). But honestly I didn't even notice the mention of printed whitewalls until you pointed it out.

Let's not forget the"68 Corvette that had a 429 either! That was a classic! I honestly hadn't noticed where the box stated tampo printed tires,but then I don't pay a lot of attention to box art. I wouldn't use the tires anyway as they look too big and wide for a 1950 Olds.

At least it isn't as bad as the twilight years of RC2- who remembers the '70 Dodge Daytona kit with the '68 Roadrunner chassis, K-H 'recall' wheels, and what appeared to be a few scratchbuilt underhood details... none of which came with the kit? Or the most recent reissue of the '60 Apache fleetside, which showed the old SMP longbed version with side trim, not the short bed, sans side trim version the kit builds into. That certainly isn't misleading or anything.

Can someone please tell us a bit about the carb and aircleaner that comes with this kit?

The carb is a Rochester AA 2 barrel that was used for 49 and 50. Most places call it a backdraft carb but it seems to work like a regular downdraft 2 barrel except for the air entering from the back. The air cleaner is an old style oil bath filter. Here is thread from the H.A.M.B. that has a ton of Olds Rocket stuff, http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149650

Guest G Holding

Is anyone else upset over the fact that Revell says Tampo printed tires on the box but does not actually have them in the kit? It may be a small thing but I know people who bought the Gremlin kit from AMT just to get the slicks that were included. This seems to be false advertising and I've yet to see any explanation/apology for this oversight. In the kit, decals are provided for the whitewalls. but I thought Tampo printing put the lettering/whitewall directly on the tire. I have seen several theories advanced as to why they are not Tampo printed, but I still feel it was wrong to put the kit out with the claim of Tampo printed tires on the box.

I suspect the Tampo print didn't work out the way they were designed, so as a quality move they "upgraded" at expense. False advertising, I think they have the right to change parts as they want to...Call Angie on the 800 # she might give you some insite. Me I want about 6 of these!

I was wondering how Tom Collidge's fastback body was coming along, so a little Googling and...I found some interesting stuff:

DSC05117-vi.jpg

I guess it wasn't known he did this body in 2001 based on the Ertl diecast?:

DSC00534-vi.jpg

Worth paging through: http://public.fotki.com/tomcoolidge/revell-1950-oldsmob/

Does anyone know when Tom's 88 Fastback body/conversion will be available for use with the Revell kit?

You're really upset? :unsure: Really? Wow. :huh:

False advertising? Really? Anyone who buys this kit ONLY because the box indicates tampo-printed tires are inside ... is entitled to a refund. :blink:

I'll guarantee it for Revell. Any consumer who is truly upset by this slight error, simply send me the kit and your receipt, postpaid, and I'll send you some money.

Major problem solved. ^_^

B)

Anyway, here are his comments, edited slightly just to keep things short and sweet.

The problem then became, does Revell do the first version as a sedan to satisfy the folks wanting a dead-on accurate sedan to do the McGriff car? Or a coupe with the possibility of dozens of spin-offs? The decision was finally made that Revell would take the heat to do the markings for one of the most famous American race cars with historic legacy. The other move was to provide Tom Coolidge (one of the most knowledgeable early Olds experts) with two of the first final test shots. I can tell you that Tom Coolidge does plan to do the resin sedan conversion as soon as he can lay his hands on a production '50 Olds kit.

I get updates from Tom via Fotki- he ususally posts stuff as he makes progress. I'd say just keep an eye on that link.

Kind of interesting that he only sold one of the Fastback 88 bodies when first made. I wonder if Tom plans to start an all new master instead of using the body he did a decade ago? I guess we'll wait and find out. ^_^

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this very lengthy thread, but I discovered in Len Carsner's On the Workbench build of the Buck Baker #87 race version that there's a typo on a couple of the decals.

The rear fender decals say LABOR DAY STEP. 4, whereas Len's 1:1 reference shows it should be SEPT. 4

Just a little knife work should fix that.

Edited by sjordan2

In the background is the new Revell '50 Olds 303 (the basic engine looks much like the 324, 371 and 394 built thru '63) with the AMT 3X2 manifold from the '40 Tudor (which fits the old Revell engine perfectly),*snip* The angle of the manifold faces on the heads is correct

DSCN7146.jpg

I picked up a partial '39/'40 Tudor kit for the manifold yesterday, and if this is as close as we can come to a multi-carb intake manifold sourced from a kit, we have some work to do. It's not too bad, but it is soft on the details, especially around the mating flanges, and there are those three ejector pin marks to address, the incompletely molded water neck, and the misnumbered intake runners (#1 as #6!?), but it does appear to be a replica of the cast iron GM manifold:

earlyolds3x2.jpg

The AMT '39/'40 Tudor Olds 3x2 intake manifold:

IMG_6825.jpg

An Edelbrock aluminum 3x2 manifold for the J-2:

earlyolds3xIM.jpg

Yes, and the cast-iron manifold would be correct for a factory J2. Sorry about having to do some work on the manifold to make it prettier. I rather expect to have to do corrective work on most things, so I didn't mention it. The ejector pin marks on mine were nowhere as deep as your version, though I did have to fill them. I cleaned up some other details too, including filing the 3 mounting flanges separate and filling the bottom of the water neck. I also thinned the cylinder head mounting-flanges, as the one I'm doing represents an iron manifold. An alloy manifold would have thicker flanges. This manifold in 1:1 is partially held to the heads by bolts or studs / nuts and big washers between the heat-riser runners and the port runners. A very accurate engine model should portray this.

The AMT manifold DOES have the correct port-spacing, the correct water-crossover in front, and the correct angle on the head-mating surfaces.

If we're being very critical, the AMT manifold also suffers from the tooling malady caused by the people who made the tool not understanding the function of the part they're modeling. The odd octopus-sucker protuberances are apparently some mis-guided attempt to represent random bosses for accessory and hold-down hardware, and a heat-riser port.

Anyone using this manifold needs to pay attention to the correct orientation on the engine....the heat-riser portion of the manifold should be in the center of the heads, which may look odd at first glance, as it puts the water-crossover at the extreme front of the heads (and looks wrong but isn't).

• 2 weeks later...