Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Peterbilt 359 (First Build)

Hey guys, this is my first build ever. I got it for Christmas from my brother, and I thought I was never going to finish it! Well I finished it about a month ago and I think it turned out so-so. The paint came out better than expected (testors one coat lacquer) it only has one run, and it is on a front fender. However there is no detail paint, a poor interior and no bmf. I only used one of the gaudy decals, that is on the back of the truck. Also the windshield is missing due to overspray because I forgot it was on there. Also, how do you truck guys afford to build trucks??? I understand this one is like 20 bucks, but I really love the KW Wrecker kit but I can't drop the coin. Seriously $70+ for a model, that is insane. I think I'll just stick to cars and pickups :-( . Finally, can you guys give me some pointers on my work? I don't care if you say it is bad, just tell me what I can do better.

HhO7dyv.pngTDoJiTI.pngEH98tbX.png

Good first attempt. Keep at it is the best advice. I learn something from every build I do. Look at the forum for advice on your future builds. Magazines are worth a look. Car guys do some cool stuff that can be applied to trucks such as bare metal foil, airbrushing and panel lines. Maybe get a couple of 1/32 trucks to practice on as well. Cheers

Ben

To be honest, this isn't a bad build at all.....You did a very good job getting those infernal wheels and tires together....I've found that it depends on the model, itself, as to whether or not they go together right or not....Yours looks good....And the paint came out quite nice, as well....And if you hadn't said there was no windshield, we wouldn't have known.... :D Looks good thataway.....And I'm with you on the decals....You've used them quite tastefully.....I like it....Very nice work....

Edited by kilrathy10

Pretty impressive, and your ahead of the game as you finished it. As said the paint looks nice.

You can make this build "Pop" a little more by painting the door latches with a chrome silver or aluminum paint. Use tape to mask around them if you dont trust the steadiness of your hand (mine gets me every time ) Maybe add a touch of amber to the clearance lights up on the roof . You can slide a piece of masking tape under the are to be painted to keep from accidentally painting the roof.

Nice to see another truck builder B)

Bradley, Looks very nice. I think your paint work is smooth and I like the shade you used. Your conservative use of decals works nicely (Give it the look of a long-range, fleet truck).

As JT said, it can be a real trick to get the tires to seat properly on the rims, looks like you got yours together quite well.

I've built 8-10 of this particular kit. The level of detail versus the lower price tag makes these kits prime for experimentation with customizing (they're quite east to convert to anything from a single axle, day-cab to a stretched-frame/big sleeper rig). With a bit of practice, you might be able to build one of these into that wrecker you mentioned.

For detail work, I've found "Sharpie" markers to be quite useful. Black and silver are great for trim/moldings (as well as touch-up on other painted parts). Red, amber, orange etc are excellent for chrome parts into colored lenses (turn signals, marker lights etc). Finally, to mirror the comment by Ben, keep at it, each build will teach you something new that will help you improve on the next one.

Keep at it and welcome to the Truckin' side!

brinx

Thanks for the kind words everybody! I am working on the monogram f-250 as of now and I can't get the messed up paint off. Anyways, my favourite truck is the Kenworth w900 so I think my next kit will be the Revell Kenworth w900. Does anybody know where I can get a sun visor for that kit?

good looking rig ya got there! my theory so far [only back into building since sept last year] is detail the heck out of what the box gives ya. a little color here and there makes a huge difference [in my eyes anyway]. I don't know jack about big rigs, other than I like the looks of them, and like building them, so I try to add color to engines, shocks, etc., and try to detail the dash as best I can. biggest thing you can do, as mentioned earlier, is to paint the cab lights/tail lights/turn signals. if you don't have it already, testors has metallic amber paint and red metallic paint for just this purpose, and it makes a huge difference. it's the little things that can really make a model 'pop'.

this was my first build after 20+ years away from it, not perfect, but a little paint here and there brought it to life,

photo_zpsbdd7cd33.jpg[/url

photo_zps05c313a8.jpg]

Edited by tbill

Looks good for a first build and as others have pointed out, a little detail painting and Bare Metal Foil can go a long way towards a very realistic looking model.

Two words to consider when building- Patience and Practice

In due time you will be knocking em out, but remember this is supposed to be fun so take your time and enjoy!

good looking rig ya got there! my theory so far [only back into building since sept last year] is detail the heck out of what the box gives ya. a little color here and there makes a huge difference [in my eyes anyway]. I don't know jack about big rigs, other than I like the looks of them, and like building them, so I try to add color to engines, shocks, etc., and try to detail the dash as best I can. biggest thing you can do, as mentioned earlier, is to paint the cab lights/tail lights/turn signals. if you don't have it already, testors has metallic amber paint and red metallic paint for just this purpose, and it makes a huge difference.

I try to detail stuff, but my local hobby shop absolutely shafts me, it's around $4-$5 for a little bottle of Testors/Tamiya/Model Master paint.

got a hobby lobby or michaels store near you? hobby lobby usually has a great selection of paint and kits, and they have a 40% off coupon every week. check them out if you can.

I live in a small town, and the nearest Michaels is about 55 minutes away. I have to go up that way for a doctors appt next Tuesday, so I'll ask my mom if we can swing by.

Good looking build on this one man.

Keep up the nice building and take the advice given here for building anything ,it's the little details that stand out the most sometimes.

Big Rigs are a slow build out of the box so that's the norm the better the truck the more parts to deal with so don't let that stop you from doing more trucks.

God Bless

The people who have responded so far are right on target. You have an excellent skill set base to move forward from. Paint work is very solid, assembly technique is way ahead of the game for a build at this point of experience. It is good to see a younger modeler take up trucks. Do not let the skyrocketing prices discourage you. There are ways around that. A lot of the Round 2 rereleases can be had on Ebay for less than $30.00 + shipping. Sometimes places like Hobbylinc or Tower Hobbies have reduced or free shipping specials. When the White Freightliner Cabover was rereleased, my favorite truck model for my childhood days, I scooped up a case of them, (6), with no shipping, and they were only $26.99 each. The first one I ever laid my hands on cost $3.95 at Kmart. It was a first run kit, that goes back a ways. A lot of Ebayers are parting kits out now. Look for a wrecker body by itself, combine that with the Revell W900, and there you go. Use the creativity you obviously have to obtain your kits as well as build them and you do not have to go broke to keep this as your hobby. Sometimes, combining various kits produces some intersting results.

post-11762-0-53783100-1393561658_thumb.jpost-11762-0-95115200-1393561683_thumb.jpost-11762-0-25060400-1393561833_thumb.jpost-11762-0-22036200-1393561930_thumb.j

These are both conglomerations of AMT cabs and interiors together with Revell of Germany frames and engines. The basic building blocks to these 2 models were obtained from kits parted out on Ebay, with a cost of under $25.00 each. It can be done on the cheap. With your skills, I would hate to see money be the determining factor when it comes to building what you want, and have a knack for. PM me about KW parts.

Best of luck to you.

Mark.

The people who have responded so far are right on target. You have an excellent skill set base to move forward from. Paint work is very solid, assembly technique is way ahead of the game for a build at this point of experience. It is good to see a younger modeler take up trucks. Do not let the skyrocketing prices discourage you. There are ways around that. A lot of the Round 2 rereleases can be had on Ebay for less than $30.00 + shipping. Sometimes places like Hobbylinc or Tower Hobbies have reduced or free shipping specials. When the White Freightliner Cabover was rereleased, my favorite truck model for my childhood days, I scooped up a case of them, (6), with no shipping, and they were only $26.99 each. The first one I ever laid my hands on cost $3.95 at Kmart. It was a first run kit, that goes back a ways. A lot of Ebayers are parting kits out now. Look for a wrecker body by itself, combine that with the Revell W900, and there you go. Use the creativity you obviously have to obtain your kits as well as build them and you do not have to go broke to keep this as your hobby. Sometimes, combining various kits produces some intersting results.

attachicon.gif100_0707.JPGattachicon.gif100_0717.JPGattachicon.gif100_0780.JPGattachicon.gif031.JPG

These are both conglomerations of AMT cabs and interiors together with Revell of Germany frames and engines. The basic building blocks to these 2 models were obtained from kits parted out on Ebay, with a cost of under $25.00 each. It can be done on the cheap. With your skills, I would hate to see money be the determining factor when it comes to building what you want, and have a knack for. PM me about KW parts.

Best of luck to you.

Mark.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely keep you in mind if I ever need Kenworth parts.

• 2 months later...

Yes for sure! truck looks great for a first build! I started using bare metal foil just a couple of builds ago and I agree with everyone that has mentioned it, the stuff really makes a great job on detail. Everything from door hinges to tank straps. I get mine from Amazon since the local Hobby Town has an issue with ordering it. If you want to find more model trucks check Amazon and Spalding trading and shipping. Sounds like your in the sticks and I've found out that I have more choices ordering online verse going to the store.

Good luck on your future builds! :D

Hey guys, this is my first build ever. I got it for Christmas from my brother, and I thought I was never going to finish it! Well I finished it about a month ago and I think it turned out so-so. The paint came out better than expected (testors one coat lacquer) it only has one run, and it is on a front fender. However there is no detail paint, a poor interior and no bmf. I only used one of the gaudy decals, that is on the back of the truck. Also the windshield is missing due to overspray because I forgot it was on there. Also, how do you truck guys afford to build trucks??? I understand this one is like 20 bucks, but I really love the KW Wrecker kit but I can't drop the coin. Seriously $70+ for a model, that is insane. I think I'll just stick to cars and pickups :-( . Finally, can you guys give me some pointers on my work? I don't care if you say it is bad, just tell me what I can do better.

HhO7dyv.pngTDoJiTI.pngEH98tbX.png

I hear ya on the prices, truck kits can get spendy, id love to build the bill signs pete or the can-do wrecker but since they are discontinued, they are worth a lot of money. i was lucky enough to have had the new 359 wrecker gifted to me, but an up coming project truck is gonna set me back about 300 on kits and parts alone, i definitely do it for the enjoyment and pride looking at the finished results, especially when it comes out just how you wanted

Heres a few tips that help me, i know its over said but with trucks, take your time, it can get really aggravating, i just push it a side or pick my stuff up and put it away for a bit. The moebius kits are that way for me, the instructions can be confusing and hard to read. I use a really reasonably priced set of brushes i got from micheals, around 10 bucks for the set 8 brushes, i wouldnt use the testors brushes unless thats all you can get, they are too course and stiff. When using rattle cans, i know its hard, i still struggle with it, light coats, i know your gonna want to see color NOW, but thats how runs and wrinkling happen. If you can, id think about getting an airbrush, micheals has a beginner set up, bottles, hose and gun with the coupon its worth the investment, the compressor its what costs the most, but ebay can help. Detail work, sand the pieces, get the tree and excess mold off the part, sand and putty the pieces that are built in halves, motors and trannies, seats, that sort of thing, that helps to achieve the realistic look. Heres a big 1, build for yourself, build it how you want, you wont enjoy it if you dont do that. I built a 56 chevy, bought thst kit and a newer corvette kit, my wife was not happy i bought a kit just for parts, but the end result was winning best of show at its 1st show. I know this hobby can cost a lot of money but its kinda like golf, its most aggravating yet most relaxing time youll have, if you need any help, advice, whatever, dont be afraid to ask, this forum is a very good thing, im glad i joined it.

post-13858-0-78121400-1399599773_thumb.j

Edited by Petetrucker07

Man you definitely did a good job especially for a first attempt. If you didn't say it was your first attempt I would've thought you've been others. You did good! ... I know those tires are a pain. The one that came in my kit were so bad I had to do alot of modification to it. I started building models when I was 12 and stopped a couple years later took about a 10 year break and then got into head over heels. Like all these other guys say just keep watching this forum you'll learn alot and whatever your trying to figure out if you can't find it start a topic . I also agree with the Sharpie markers and masking tape. Those are the two things I also have with me when I grab a model. The way best way to learn is just do try it man.... when I was learning how to cut door open and make paint better I went to my local flea market and bought some half started kits and ones that were missing parts and I got them for 2 or 3 dollars. It was perfect so I just played mad professor with that lol. .... theres alot of good tips I could give you I can talk about models all day lol but overall man you did a great job! Two thumbs up. I may not be the best builder on here but If you need help with anything at all just shoot me a PM (message ) . Good luck and God bless