Model Cars Magazine Forum

what type of airbrush do you use?

Airbrush. single or dual action?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. what is your favorite all around modeling airbrush of choice. Singe action, dual, other?

• Single action.
    • Dual action.
    • I only use spraycans.

Depends on what I'm doing, though lately I use primarily dual action. I prefer the increased control of the dual acton. That's not to say the single actions are bad or that you can't get good results from them. I know of several builders that only use singe action and certainly do much better than I can.

As far as brand/model suggestions, you can't go wrong with the Paashe Model H/HS for a single action. The only difference between the H and the HS is how the bottle attaches, the H is a friction fit, the HS has a retaining nut. In dual actions, the the Paasche Model V is a good one, and is my personal weapon of choice. The Testors Aztec is OK, too, but I find the tips can be a pain to work with, as the have to be just so in order to work properly. Also, in the case of the one I have, the dual action mechanism had a pin snap, and it now binds up. With the way it's made, repairs are difficult. It's not really meant to be dissassembled. I also have some of the Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic $20 dual actions, I've only used them once. The seem to be a decent unit, very similar (in some aspects, identical) to the Iwata airbushes. It worked well, but the paint job turned out poor due to my own experimentations, not the airbrush itself. I will try it again, though I did get it primarily to use for applying primer.

The first airbrush I ever bought was a used Paasche VL (dual action). To me, being able to control the amount of air and paint simultaneously make it a far better choice than a single action. If you have a Hobby Lobby and one of their 40% off coupons, that same VL can be had for a ridiculous amount of money. A little internet shopping will uncover some fantastic bargains as well.

Hi I too am looking into airbrushing? I'm watchen this one on eBay.co.uk is this a good one? Barring in mind am just a basic amature builder?300441560141 that's the number of the item. Sorry can't post a link as I'm on the iPhone at the moment. Thanks

I have pasche VL and a Iawata dual action. Also have a Badger 200 Single action. I like the dual action as you can control thr flow of the paint.

Thank you for your thoughts. Kinda overwelming the items since my last time building about 20 years ago!

The first airbrush I ever bought was a used Paasche VL (dual action). To me, being able to control the amount of air and paint simultaneously make it a far better choice than a single action. If you have a Hobby Lobby and one of their 40% off coupons, that same VL can be had for a ridiculous amount of money. A little internet shopping will uncover some fantastic bargains as well.

Great info from you. Thank you so much! Where can I find a coupon for Hobby Lobby. I dont have aworking printer at home but do at work! Thanks for all the inf. Drew from S.C.

I've been using an Aztek single action airbrush for a few years and have always got a good finish with it. Recently picked up a couple of Spraymaster dual action airbrushes and whether its the learning curve but I'm finding that my control is just not as fine as with the Aztek. But I would recommend gravity fed over suction for consistent paint flow.

I know you're in the US but this UK based site may offer some help http://www.everythingairbrush.com/acatalog/Gravity_Feed.html . I've got the AB-130 and AB-132 (has removeable suction or gravity feed pots)

Andy

I use a Bager 200 single action. When I investigated airbrushes a few months ago, the Paache H series came up many, many times. I did a pricing check of a Paasche HSET and found Chicago Airbrush at the low end ($55.54), Tower Hobby ($54.99), TCP Global ($58.94), and Dixie Art ($59.95). I believe Chicago Airbrush had free shipping.

I have 9 airbrushes. They're all good for something. My workhorse is the Badger 175 Crescendo (siphon feed-I have 3 of them) and my Iwata HP-CS Eclipse (gravity feed). I also have a Paasche VL, Model Master (Aztek), Badger 150 IL, and the cheapest Testors airbrush.

Don't worry about having your airbrush spray a pencil line. You will hardly ever need it if you don't spray military paint schemes. I have a special airbrush just for this (small gravity feed, Rich AB200), and I hardly ever use it. I use it for windshield tint strips. The multi-tip airbrushes don't compare.

What have I learned? Buy the best one you can afford; you'll get great results with any number of airbrushes in all price ranges. Get one that is specifically made to handle automotive type paints (be able to handle the solvents, not just for waterbased illustration inks or paints). I would highly recommend getting a gravity feed airbrush rather than siphon feed; you will use less paint (by wasting less paint during cleanup), you will spend less time cleaning up after use...the siphon tubes require a lot of extra cleanup vs. a gravity feed brush, wasted paint, wasted thinner. Get one with a big cup, not a small cup. Compare at TCP Global, they have a line called "Master" which is a knockoff of Iwata for a lot less money. I intend to get one of their gravity feed airbrushes with pistol grip. I love the flow of the Badger Crescendo, even with the fine flow tip/needle it flows a lot more than my Iwata, but the Iwata definitely atomizes the paint better for fine detail and very thin coats; nice when using clear so it doesn't flood the surface...I'll start w/that airbrush laying down thin, fine layers and finish w/the Badger applying wetter final coats.

Grex airbrushes are loved by many. They have a gravity feed version w/pistol grip as well.

Thank you for your thoughts. Kinda overwelming the items since my last time building about 20 years ago!

Great info from you. Thank you so much! Where can I find a coupon for Hobby Lobby. I dont have aworking printer at home but do at work! Thanks for all the inf. Drew from S.C.

Hmmm, something weird's going on. Hobby Lobby's online site still shows some service parts for Paasches, but no airbrushes. They used to sell Iwatas, and like an idiot, I never used the coupon to take advantage of it. The 40% off coupon is offered every other week in their Sunday ad. It's down on the bottom right hand side of the page.

What are you going to run the brush off of? C02 tank? Air compressor?

both single and double are good for painting but if you want more control i would get a double. i have the paasche talon and it works wonders and it is fairly cheap but make sure you get some spare needles cause my tip bent in a couple weeks but that was my first double action airbrush. and i am very happy i got it.

My one and only weapon is the Badger 175 (dual action siphon) as well. I've never had a problem with this airbrush and it does everything.

Need parts? Lot of places carry them, including Michael's Arts and Crafts. Now would be the time to print one of their coupons (50% off!) and pick up a 175.

Chris

I have 9 airbrushes. They're all good for something. My workhorse is the Badger 175 Crescendo (siphon feed-I have 3 of them) and my Iwata HP-CS Eclipse (gravity feed). I also have a Paasche VL, Model Master (Aztek), Badger 150 IL, and the cheapest Testors airbrush.

Don't worry about having your airbrush spray a pencil line. You will hardly ever need it if you don't spray military paint schemes. I have a special airbrush just for this (small gravity feed, Rich AB200), and I hardly ever use it. I use it for windshield tint strips. The multi-tip airbrushes don't compare.

What have I learned? Buy the best one you can afford; you'll get great results with any number of airbrushes in all price ranges. Get one that is specifically made to handle automotive type paints (be able to handle the solvents, not just for waterbased illustration inks or paints). I would highly recommend getting a gravity feed airbrush rather than siphon feed; you will use less paint (by wasting less paint during cleanup), you will spend less time cleaning up after use...the siphon tubes require a lot of extra cleanup vs. a gravity feed brush, wasted paint, wasted thinner. Get one with a big cup, not a small cup. Compare at TCP Global, they have a line called "Master" which is a knockoff of Iwata for a lot less money. I intend to get one of their gravity feed airbrushes with pistol grip. I love the flow of the Badger Crescendo, even with the fine flow tip/needle it flows a lot more than my Iwata, but the Iwata definitely atomizes the paint better for fine detail and very thin coats; nice when using clear so it doesn't flood the surface...I'll start w/that airbrush laying down thin, fine layers and finish w/the Badger applying wetter final coats.

Grex airbrushes are loved by many. They have a gravity feed version w/pistol grip as well.

This is the bible.

Thank you all. Ive painted a few real cars using SATA equipment and love the HVLP gravity feed guns. Great informtion here. You are all really helping me to narrow it down. Ok ive set aside $125 max for my airbrush. Thanks again!

Drew from S.C.

What are you going to run the brush off of? C02 tank? Air compressor?

Well, ive got a 60 gallon 5 horsepower tank in my garage of the house im selling? Was thinking of going a bit smaller but might just move it to my new house? I restored a few real cars and it did a good job with my SATA guns. HVLP was my favorite. Might be a bit overkill for a hoobby but its paid for.

Drew from S.C.

As an artist too my feel is generally a single action works good for general surface one color painting. (ie model bodies), dual action works good for intricate work for murals in art work and details in models. But it just depends on how much control you want over the flow of paint. I used a cheapie singleaction to paint a Supra and it looked pretty good.

I own 2 Badger Crescendo airbrushes, love them so much I don't even worry about owning anything else. The first one I purchased has been with me for 15 years now and I have never had to change any parts on it. I have a backup with the other one which I purchased from Michael's using the 40% off coupon, got a great price on it! ;)

I got this from Lowe's for $160.It is a six gal.air compressor that wears more than one hat."car tires ,bike tires,etc etc". Plus you can paint forever without the compressor coming on (which makes me jump ever time).The one that I got from the hobby store runs constantly costs more& has less features.

corvecompressorairbrush005-vi.jpg

I got this from Lowe's for $160.It is a six gal.air compressor that wears more than one hat."car tires ,bike tires,etc etc". Plus you can paint forever without the compressor coming on (which makes me jump ever time).The one that I got from the hobby store runs constantly costs more& has less features.

corvecompressorairbrush005-vi.jpg

That's one nice work area. I'm a novice airbrush user, but I've experimented with 3 different airbrushes. The first was a plastic Aztec, which broke after using it only a few times... I think it was about 5 times. Aztec was very good about repairing it for free. But, I only got two painting sessions out of it before I had to send it back. A lot of people swear by Aztec, but I won't use one again. My second airbrush was an Iwata Elclipse, which DamnCranky and other have praised. I love the Iwata, which is a double action airbrush. It has a gravity feed with a relatively small paint cup. The Iwata atomizes paint better than any of my other airbrushes. It's perfect for painting details and the gravity feed allows you avoid wasting paint that suction type airbrushes waste. But, I found that for spraying large areas, like car bodies the spray pattern was not wide enough for me to get the coverage that I wanted. Also, I had to stop and refill the cup in the middle of painting session due to the cup size while using the Iwata. Please be advised that my issues with the Iwata were operator error. Others have used it to paint bodies with spectacular results. But, I thought that you might like to hear the perspective of an airbrush newbie. I bought a third airbrush with a %40 or %50 off coupon from Hobby Lobby... the single action Badger 350. The Badger is a suction type airbrush, which allows you to used varying sizes of paint bottles. I used the medium and large heads, which give me the wide spray pattern that I sought for spraying bodies. I also find that the wide spray pattern of the Badger makes it easier for me to avoid tiger stripes when spraying metallic paints. I find the precision of the Iwata and the wide spray pattern of the Badger indispensable. If I had to pick one as my first airbrush, I would probably pick the single action Badger. Also, remember that the tool is only as good as the talent of the operator. In other words, whatever you decide to buy... practice, practice, practice. I hope this helps.

Edited by pharr7226

I have a really, really nice dual-action Grex. Bought the whole set...compressor, everything. It works great. Would buy one again in an heartbeat.

Truth be told, I have a lot more fun building when it stays in the corner unused. Somehow the airbrush is the line between "fun" and "this feels like work" most of the time. I won't argue it's necessary for a lot of things, and they are a great tool. Somehow, the airbrush trips the taking-this-too-seriously switch for me.

For me once you put away the rattle cans a lot of the fun goes away with them. Can't say why, but it just does. I think so much of the appeal of this is getting away with a kid's hobby as an adult, and I didn't have an airbrush as a kid.

Amen, Brother Mark. ;)

I feel exactly the same way. The only time the airbrush does not seem like work is when I am spraying a color that is not available in rattle can, like Alclad metallizers or that killer HOK color that is not readily available in a rattle can.

What really makes my skin crawl is when I read where someone decants Tamiya or Testors spray lacquers and shoots them thru an airbrush. To each his own, but that really seems like work!