Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Plymouth Satellite Rebuild

mrmike

Did you ever have one of those projects that just got away from you or just got out of hand? I do. Case in point...my Monogram '71 Satellite. I stole the engine out of this model for my '70 Roadrunner because it has a single carb intake with an automatic transmission and I would replace the engine with the unbuilt 440+6 Barrel from the '70 Roadrunner kit. Easy peasy! Yeah...right!

Last night I decided to add ignition wiring to the engine and drilled out the distributor and cylinder heads. This morning, I took apart the rest of the model. I had originally built this model back in the mid to late Nineties, so most of the Satellite came apart without too much drama. Now I must clean up and repaint just about everything including the body. Now this project has gotten out of hand!

So, this is where I am at with this rebuild. The model has been disassembled and is awaiting cleanup. The body will have its mold lines and old decals removed and then repainted. I have yet to decide on a color.

71Satellite01.jpg

This is the engine from the '70 Roadrunner and it's partially assembled. It is a direct replacement for the '71 Satellite engine with all mounting points in the exact same place. This engine has a 4-speed trans on it so the interior console will be modified for a pistol grip shifter.

71Satellite02.jpg

71Satellite03.jpg

I will separate the exhaust from the rear axle, add a clutch pedal, and detail the interior.

More Mopar to come...

Thanks Carl, Rob, and Dan! I am not going for the plain Jane sleeper look this time. I may change the wheels to a set of Magnum 500s.

This model appears to have been built in a weekend or in a weeks' time like many of my older builds from 20+ years ago. This one will take a bit to build and to finish properly. I wish that this kit would be reissued again, but I'm sure it was modified into the '71 GTX kit instead and I doubt that Revell-Monogram would back-date the tooling.

I have decided on a color...Dupli-color Light Blue Metallic.

71Satellite04.jpg

71Satellite05.jpg

71Satellite06.jpg

I'm still undecided on the interior color. Black, white, blue, tan??? We shall see.

More Mopar to come...

Thanks Carl! This is a really nice color and I'm hoping it will really pop when I clearcoat it with some gloss.

A third coat of paint and a mockup with the hood. Looks good to me!

71Satellite07.jpg

And, my interior color is black!

71Satellite08.jpg

The dash, steering wheel and shifter are done. The engine is still being worked on.

71Satellite09.jpg

More Mopar to come...

Nice color of blue Mike it fits this year Satellite. What scale is this 1/24 or 1/25?

Dan, this Satellite is the Monogram 1/24 scale version.

awesome start Michael, I wish they would re-issue this kit, my high school ride was a 72, ooOH the good ol' days, had LOTS of fun in that car! ready to see more on this build. very clean work.

Bill, as far as I know, this model has never been re-issued, but was converted into the '71 GTX. You could get the GTX kit and remove the GTX script and build a Satellite/Roadrunner.

One of the things I have been thinking about for this Satellite is striping. I didn't want to order any decals and I didn't have anything in my decal drawer suitable for the Satellite, so with ingenuity being the mother of invention, I got out my Tamiya and 3M tape and started masking the hood and front fenders for a Plymouth inspired stripes to be painted in black.

71Satellite10.jpg

71Satellite11.jpg

I have finished the interior. I really like how the Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter looks sticking up from the console.

71Satellite12.jpg

More Mopar to come...

Thanks John and Carl!

I just crossed another hurdle with the Satellite...foiling! It wasn't a lot this time.

71Satellite16.jpg

71Satellite17.jpg

I finished the engine and mounted it in the chassis.

71Satellite18.jpg

I need to finish the chassis by lowering the front suspension, adding the exhaust system, and rear suspension.

More Mopar to come...