Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom hood issue - Final solution

I'm building the AMT '65 Lincoln as a custom. The engine sits kinda high and the carbs/aircleaners are going to poke out a bit. I'm going to cut a hole in the hood, but I don't want a scoop or leave the air cleaner visible, so I need a hood bump idea. Something I can add over the issue that would look appropriate on a custom. Maybe a custom piece from another kit?

Just toss some ideas out there please. The engine is in place here and you can see how high it is.

2014-01-15%2006.57.40_zpsep8diw8v.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

well, first off, I would try to get the motor a little lower in the chassis and grind inside of the hood away to make it fit under the hood...maybe get a squattier carb under that air cleaner. doesn't look lie you need that much...

or....

I would take it from the body lines in the hood and raise that whole area slightly to clear the air cleaner. kind of like a very big grand national hood bump. the lines are so cool and classic on those cars, if you get too wild or get carried away, you may detract from the build as a hole.

hope this helped a little. I don't do too many customs.

Good stuff guys.

First. I'm not changing the motors height. It looks perfect.

Second. Trying to avoid a standard hood scoop if I can. Trying to go with a custom vibe, maybe just a hood bulge. Any other thoughts?

Edited by Jantrix

How about a hood scoop or bulge shaped like the Lincoln emblem? Like this...Ihttp://www.bing.com/images/search?q=65+lincoln+continental+hood+emblem&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=65+lincoln+continental+hood+emblem&sc=0-24&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&id=B1B220335D8AE51FA15515C505F599DEFFDEE3B3&selectedIndex=88 but without the star shape in the center. I built a '70 Buick GSX and did a hood scoop in the shape of one of the Buick shields. It looked cool when I got it done. Here's a photo that shows it pretty well...

025-4.jpg

Edited by plowboy

Good stuff guys.

First. I'm not changing the motors height. It looks perfect.

Second. Trying to avoid a standard hood scoop if I can. Trying to go with a custom vibe, maybe just a hood bulge. Any other thoughts?

Styling-wise, a hood "bulge" (the late Harley Earl, VP of Styling at GM for about 30 years called that concept the "Power Dome" look), which if done to fit in with the lines of that hood would be very impressive.

Those Unibody Lincoln Continentals were HEAVY cars, certainly for their size--the convertibles tipping the scales at over 5000lbs, so performance cars they weren't, but certainly very good-looking luxury cars--so I'd stay with the rather squarish lines of the car for that hood bulge. Should be easy to do with some Evergreen sheet and strip styrene and a bit of putty and sanding.

Art

Styling-wise, a hood "bulge" (the late Harley Earl, VP of Styling at GM for about 30 years called that concept the "Power Dome" look), which if done to fit in with the lines of that hood would be very impressive.

Those Unibody Lincoln Continentals were HEAVY cars, certainly for their size--the convertibles tipping the scales at over 5000lbs, so performance cars they weren't, but certainly very good-looking luxury cars--so I'd stay with the rather squarish lines of the car for that hood bulge. Should be easy to do with some Evergreen sheet and strip styrene and a bit of putty and sanding.

Art

Maybe, two cuts from front to back, just short of the front edge and just wide enough to clear the intake. Raise that center section to clear height and fill sides with styrene and filler. From the top view it would appear stock and from the side it would be raised.

No I haven't. I will post up my eventual solution. I'm pretty close to a design but haven't done any work yet. I cleaned off my work bench to prepare for tomorrows 24 hour build off. I'll be back on it next week and the hood is my top priority.

Todd the car is very angular with lots of corners and edges. I'm going to stay away from adding anything rounded. Thanks for the suggestion though.

hey Rob, have you done this hood yet. would like to see what you came up with.

Al, here's what I am going with. I'm not sure where the scoop comes from, but it fits like a glove. By the color of the plastic, it's most certainly from a 90's AMT kit.

However I'm not going to leave the scoop open. I'm going to create a chrome custom piece that will fit into the opening and give it a custom look, like we saw on old T-Birds.

2014-01-30%2006.18.25_zpseslfopeg.jpg

2014-01-30%2006.19.01_zpspcsduzd3.jpg