Model Cars Magazine Forum

1936 MG SA Saloon

kennb

The bell housing has been formed by heating the plastic and forming with a bottle cap for the female mold and the handle to a exacto wood holder for the male mold.

I added some bits just so it is more interesting even though you probably will not see them on the completed model.

DSCN3370_zpsa69754f3.jpg

water lines have been added to the front also.

DSCN3371_zps0101c62b.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Kenn

A quick shot of the interior start. The seats are all hollow heat formed backs and made with .40 and .20 plastic.

More to come on them. Seat tracks are in place so I came get the height correct.

DSCN3376_zpsae2cb107.jpg

DSCN3375_zps1fd33d44.jpg

DSCN3374_zps63db626c.jpg

Thank you for the comments and for looking.

I would put something in the scartch thread but since I scratch build everything and use no commercial parts.

I try to add progress pictures everyday the model is about 2 days ahead of the pictures.

I now have about 200 pictures on the photobucket link. I dont post all the pictures i have on photobucket.

Kenn :)

Edited by kennb

I have not been happy with how the front fenders fit and how I had them mounted so to tore it apart and rethought the mounting so they would fit precisely the same way each time.

so I started with the base pinned to the frame.

DSCN3377_zpsfcb45006.jpg

The base was then trimed to fit the hood and frame where I needed the fender inner panel to fit. Note that it also pinned the running board part to the body so that dimension remaines the same all the time.

DSCN3379_zpsed6e6e70.jpg

Now I can set the fender to get a basic idea of the space i needed for the inner panel.

DSCN3380_zps313f5d02.jpg

DSCN3381_zps992a33b3.jpg

The inner panel is formed with the heating and molding and now it is roughed out, I will be sanding and filling to smooth it out. Now it fits properly and mount securly to the frame like it should.

DSCN3382_zpsa5d8a7d5.jpg

It now fits the right way and with the front tires in place is very solid and repeatable for the next car.

DSCN3383_zpsf9a409fb.jpg

Thank you for the comments and looking. I hope that some of the things I am doing help out in some way to help you in your model building. I do everything with simple tools and have no machine shop to make perfect parts. I am shooting mostly for the flavor of the car and the little details I make up provide to make it appear as massive as this car is.

I was watching a show on Margret Thatcher the other night and they had one of these cars in a few scenes.

Kenn

Edited by kennb

now the front fits together the way is should. the fenders are solid with the body and goes together the same each time so fitting everything works out nicely. I am very pleased that I tore it apart and rebuilt the ineer fenders and pinned it together. I will be using more pins as i put things together before painting. they are the way to go. The second side went to gether a lot nicer than the first. I may take the mudded side out and redo it. I will see how it works out. I so dont like using fillers on the bodies.

DSCN3385_zps018cd235.jpg

DSCN3387_zps874eaea3.jpg

This shows the battery that I made in the battery box on the cowel, very crude but does the job. After paint and wiring it will show very nicely.

DSCN3386_zps1825426d.jpg

Kenn

Finally got back to the interior. The seats are done now. I used .20 square plastic for the beading and rounded it off after it was in place. The tufting was done with ,20 applied and sanded to shape.

DSCN3393_zpsd6e0e2f5.jpg

Additional pictures of these are on photobucket. linked earlier in the thread.

Thank you all for looking and commenting. The comments help in creating a better model and thread.

Kenn :rolleyes:

Edited by kennb

The interior door panels have been a problem since there are very very photos of an origional. I did fond some but they dont seem to be the same so I picked one that appealed to me.

DSCN3394_zps3cfbf584.jpg

There is a lot of wood inide so I have to make that seperate.

To get two pieces that are the same I tack glueed the finished piece to flat stock and used it as a pattern to make a reverse piece for the other side.

DSCN3395_zps4fa722e0.jpg

DSCN3396_zpsd6c2a298.jpg

DSCN3397_zpsc960da7b.jpg

The finished side panel and window surrounds

DSCN3398_zps40911943.jpg

DSCN3399_zps57d3df6f.jpg

thanks you for all the encouragement and those that look on. I hope that you find some little thing you can use.

At this point I am about half done before I can really start to get any paint on it. Be patient, we will get there.. :rolleyes:

Kenn

I went through and pinned the fenders in the front and back. Now they stay in place they way they need to for assembly.

I also have a update photo on all the parts made so far.

DSCN3400_zps8a6483a5.jpg

DSCN3407_zps1f511974.jpg

DSCN3405_zps8bd9fba4.jpg

DSCN3404_zps2125a5fa.jpg

DSCN3403_zps9c6e33ba.jpg

the assembly is now solid and stays together with out and glue or tape. Progess :rolleyes:

I skip around alot as I think of things that should be done. I end up with going back and fine tuning parts or adding a little detail here or there.

The rear fender welting is one example. I thought this would add to the overall appearence and decided a little .20 strip along the inside edge would add to the final look.

thank you again for all those that are following me with this project. ;)

I still have to finish then interior and some exterior details.Will have part 4 of the history in one of the next posts.

I have the interior side panels completed so now to some of the details on the body. I made up a mounting bracket for the bumper and driving lights.

DSCN3410_zps0959b7ae.jpg

I added some of the details on the fenders and running boards along with the driving light cans and bumper....Things are coming along..

DSCN3412_zps2e26d89b.jpg

DSCN3415_zps32b09251.jpg

DSCN3413_zps6d121f1a.jpg

Thank you for looking and all the comments.. :rolleyes:

Part 4 of the history of this car:

The SA had its biggest setback just ten days before the launch of the model was due, when a new sporting saloon was
announced by SS Cars of Coventry. MG had never considered this company to be any threat to them in the past, as they
were not producing cars to compete in the same market sector. SS also did not have any competition successes worthy of
note, however, this new car, the first to bear the Jaguar name, was a far more serious rival. William Lyons, the owner
of SS cars was a brilliant designer from the same mould as Kimber, he also made all the major decisions, which meant
that the Jaguar SS went straight into production, unlike the floundering Nuffield group which took until early 1936
to decide on the specification and supply the parts for the SA. With the initial publicity long since forgotten,
it was over 6 months since the introduction of the model before the MG Two Litre went into full production.
This delay was due also to Abingdon trying to uprate the specification to improve its standing against the Jaguar.
The car initially had a 2062 cc engine and this was increased to 2288 cc's to match the Jaguars 2663 cc unit.
Normally this sort of alteration to the specification would have taken a matter of days when Abingdon were dealing
direct with suppliers and were doing their own design work. It took months for the Morris engines division to change
the specification as they saw it as a relatively unimportant job. As a direct result many disillusioned customers,
over 500 in all, who had been waiting for their cars, changed their orders to the Jaguar s'S which was ready for
immediate delivery.

I have gotten a lot of the exterior details worked on now. Some updated photos as it sits now. I have the radiator and grill shell mounted now. Things are starting to come together nicely.

DSCN3425_zpsa78421e4.jpg

DSCN3429_zpscfcc5261.jpg

DSCN3435_zpsa6b0e7e2.jpg

The fender ribs are a little heavy and will bo worked down a little. They are an important part of the overall design.

DSCN3433_zps332a7d0a.jpg

I have almost 250 photos in photobucket. The link is above.

Kenn

Today I redid all the wheels and hubs, The initial set where not very good and too small so I started over. Dont ever be afraid to tear something apart to redo it if you are not happy. If you dont like how it is now there is no amount of paint that will fix it. :wacko:

DSCN3443_zpsb7b6bc63.jpg

I also was not liking how the back was and it was not right to start with. Nothing was fitting the way it was supose to either so I tore that aprat and redid the rear fenders.

DSCN3445_zps17b6a573.jpg

The fender lines are wrong and I just hashed things together (mistake) and it was totally wroorng and did not even look like it was supose to. Now it is closer and roughed out. Just a little more finishing.

DSCN3449_zps639dce95.jpg

Comparing the 2 pictures you can see right away what I mean.

Note also the pencil lines at the rear windows. They are about where the windows should be and will be corrected. I just have some final work there and that part is corrected.

Fixing things like that is part of the game. If I was paying better attention to start with and consulting the drawings better I would not have had to go back and do the fenders over. B)

I will be going over the pictures more and comparing to the car and making more adjustments this week and getting it ready for primer.

Final colors will be British Racing Green and a lighter green for the body sides. The motor will be the British Green and engine compartment will be black along with the frame.

The wheels are still temporary hubs since I am going to try my hand at real wire wheels which is what they should be. For the time being I will just have hub caps. :P

Thanks for watching the build and the comments. They really are appreciated even if you see something you feel needs to be correctd.

Kenn :rolleyes: