Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell Datsun reissue

The engine looks pretty good, other than the molded in starter, until you get to the front. I think someone had had enough and went home early. No distributor, or fuel pump

Let's not forget this kit started at Monogram in their SNAP-TITE lineup, so it was minimally detailed and had a low parts count (even for '80s Monogram kits) from the very start.

171048-10571-pristine.jpg

1981-MONOGRAM-DATSUN-4X4-SNAP-PICKUP-TRU

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Casey

I had two of the off-white originals as a kid, that's why I have the Goodyear tires. ;)

Before the reissue,.Id look for these on ebay, never found the original in their boxes, only as glue bombs. The Miller one was always overpriced. I ended up getting a body from the yellow one and making a post-apocalyptic car out of it.

I drilled out the holes on one of the old wheels, and it came out good, I'd recommend taping the sides of the wheel to protect it, though. :mellow: I'll use that one as the spare.

The firewall is kinda ridiculous...

102_2612_zpshawytnjn.jpg

I'm gonna add a fill in to where the Sharpie marks are.

Edited by Zarana-X

Let's not forget this kit started at Monogram in their SNAP-TITE lineup, so it was minimally detailed and had a low parts count (even for '80s Monogram kits) from the very start.

$_57.JPG

Oh man, anyone out there have those racing decals? Always loved that style.

I have little to no interest in this kit. But, another great video review by Chris. I tend to watch all of his model reviews. Whether I'm in to the kit or not. He does a great and fun job on these review.

Scott

Thanks, I really appreciate that! I do it all for fun. :)

I bought the Miller kit at a show a few years back and was quite excited to get it, until recently I had not really looked at it too well and when I did, the decals where gone!

The decals are what sold me on it to begin with, and the fact that I am a Datsun guy, so know I need to find me some spares.

My second one will have a solid front axle swap (from a Monogram K10), and has had the goofy molded spare tire removed as well. Might go with the BFG Krawlers from Fireball Modelworks. I also cut away those butt-ugly stock fender flares.

How did you remove the fender flares? They seem to match the pictures posted by Zarana-X pretty well. After seeing these pictures, it looks like the stock metal fenders are under there somewhere on the model. I'm assuming you cut them off with the blade parallel to the longitudinal vertical axis of the vehicle.

I've been seeing this kit in its various incarnations since it was first offered, but the flares have always prevented me from buying it. Maybe not this time....

I'm assuming you cut them off with the blade parallel to the longitudinal vertical axis of the vehicle.

That's basically what I did- I just left a little bit of the end so there's a bit of a 'lip' to the opening. With a little more work they could be made to look like the regular fender openings, but for my purposes, just cutting them away worked just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a 1980 Datsun trucks brochure, and wanted to share some scans with everyone. According to the brochure, the truck depicted in this kit would be a Lil' Hustler 4x4 with a Grand Luxury trim package. The engine in the kit is the 2.0L L20B and not the NAPS-Z engine as indicated on the box.

Here is a stock truck with the decals included in the latest reissue:
1980_datsun_720_brown.jpg

Grand Luxury dash:
1980_datsun_720_gl_dash.jpg

Standard/Deluxe dash:
1980_datsun_720_deluxe_interior.jpg

King Cab GL interior:

1980_datsun_720_gl_interior_king_cab.jpg

Standard/Deluxe RWD interior:

1980_datsun_720_deluxe_interior_1.jpg

GL 4x4 interior:
1980_datsun_720_4x4_interior.jpg

And finally a closeup of the 15" 4x4 wheels in the kit. From my research, these wheels were all white with the black centre caps. Some pictures I have seen have the front centres open.

1980_datsun_720_4x4_wheel.jpg

The engine in the kit is the 2.0L L20B and not the NAPS-Z engine as indicated on the box.

In addition... the style of truck depicted by the kit was not built in Tennessee. Tennessee production did not begin until the revised 1983.5 model arrived. You could rework the kit into a 1983.5 model if you wanted to, no doubt, but the kit doesn't represent a Tennessee-built Datsun.

• 1 month later...

Finished the Datsun. It gave me more issues than I care for. The decals didn't adhere well, so I used Future to make them stick. Then the chassis wouldn't sit flush, because the interior was hitting the windows. So, I had to clearance the windshield, and the tab that held the interior tub to the body, in order for the chassis to sit flush. And I broke the shocks and spare tire off during my repeated test fittings.

Save yourself some trouble, and just cut off the locating pin for the windows and interior tub. Then shave off the tab for the tub. I also had to shave down the windshield because it was hitting the dashboard. All of these were making the floor of the chassis stick out past the bottom of the body. I got it where it sits flush.

102_2678_zpscz0ehtpn.jpg

Glad I spent the extra time to detail the Datsun script on the grille :rolleyes: , also added a radiator. You cant see it, but there's an opening behind the bumper, if I didn't add it, you would see the fan.

102_2675_zpsfxcqkzm6.jpg

You can sorta see the Datsun script here. The holes in the skid plate should be actual holes, but its a mounting point on th emodel, otherwise I would've opened them up.

102_2688_zpsp8vrjksx.jpg

Distributorless engine, not really enough room to add one, either. I did add a carburator, but you can't see it anyway.

102_2687_zpsnsgc5zjm.jpg

Added a rearview mirror.

102_2683_zpserynbri7.jpg

Replaced blob with an actual spare tire. (yeah, I know it has lugnuts in it still, I'm not that good) and added shocks.

102_2681_zps8icdfolm.jpg

For whatever reason, there's a pretty big gap behind the cab, and roll bar, so I made it a double tube to fill in the gap. Added the license plate from the original release.

102_2680_zpshcihltuk.jpg

The taillights are molded into the body, that's one of my bugaboos. Tried to shade them, but I have mixed feelings how it turned out. :unsure:

102_2679_zpsvpytciqg.jpg

Edited by Zarana-X