Model Cars Magazine Forum

Great Model Sar Shop - Store

I travel abit for work, and most times when I am away I check the yellow pages for Hobby Shops. Most of the time I strike out (meaning low on models heavy on RC)...but sometimes I find a place worth mentioning..like this past week.

I drove 5 hours to Utica, NY for a "work thing". Anyway, I checked the yellow pages to see if there were any shops to check out. Turns out there was a model car shop about a mile from where I was working.

The place is called Uptown Automotive, and it's at 2007 Genessee St. in Utica NY.

Folks..this place is a gold mine. It's a small place, but jam packed with all kinds of kits old and new. AND...the prices are extremely reasonable (even for the old stuff).

The kits are all sorted by type..meaning there is a pontiac secion, and a Ferrari section, and a pickup section, etc...very easy to find what you are looking for. THere is a lot packed neatly into this little place. ! I could not believe how many old kits he had. Plus resin, drawers and drawers of parts and bodies. Some of the resin stuff is casted by the owner. Plus a lot of die cast of every scale.

The best part was the conversation. The owner, who I think is called "Jim", is a very friendly guy.

His web site is http://www.uptown-automotive.com/ It's not up to date but thte phone number is. open noon to 6 weekdays..I can not remember the weekend hours.

I am disappointed I won't be back in that area for some time...but I have his number now, and now I have yet another place to call on my search for "whatever" I'm looking for. He's likely going otbe my first call next time I am "searching"...

If your in the area make sure to check it out.