Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Dodge - My "Tunaboat" Replica - FINISHED

Ramfins59

Thank you all very much for your great comments.

Bill, that car got an average of 16 MPG. It only had a 20 gallon tank and I used to have to fill it twice a week if I drove it to work every day. You are so right about cruising in that much cool...!!! The car turned heads wherever I drove it.

Yeah Tom, I'll bet he would like the ZZT Dodge.

Thanks very much guys.

Sorry Walter, but while you are entitled to your opinion, I tend to disagree with you.

Jon, there's a bit of a story about the windows. The promo kit that my friend John gave me had a one piece clear glass piece that had the front, rear and side glass. I didn't want the side glass in the car so I decided to use both my razor saw and my dremel to remove the side glass. I inserted the glass piece and scribed a line with my XActo knife along the front edge of the rear B pillars. Being a smart Alec, I thought that I could saw the front windshield off by eye instead of scribing a line along the rear edge of the vent window posts...... WRONG...!!! I wound up cutting it about an 8th of an inch too short and about half of the vent windows had no glass...!!! Fortunately I had 2 '59 Dodge promo glass pieces in my parts stash but they were tinted green instead of being clear. I chose the one that was tinted a lighter shade of green. I then inserted the glass piece and scribed a line on the green glass along the rear edge of the vent window posts. Then I carefully cut both the front glass from the green piece and rear glass loose from the clear piece with the saw about 1/16th of an inch short of the scribed lines and used sanding sticks to remove the remaining glass up to and including the scribed line. I polished the front green and rear clear glass with Novus 2 polish to remove fine scratches. At final assembly a drop of CA glue landed dead center on the inside of the front glass about 1/4 inch below the window molding.!!

I spent about an hour or so polishing out the CA glue mark with the glass being attached to the body..