Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well, not great but it's done.

2002p51

Have you ever had a model that you had high hopes and plans for but, in the final execution, it just didn't live up to your vision. Happens to me more often than you might think and here's the perfect example.

oldsmotor05-vi.jpg

The basic kit is the Revell '32 3-window coupe. This was supposed to be a showcase for the engine from the new '50 Olds kit. My big mistake was trying to chop the top. I really don't do work like that very well. Mostly because, no matter how careful I am with my cuts, I end up with more filling than I'd like and I have little patience for the "fill-sand-prime-repeat" routine that good custom work takes.

However, having said that, I did a pretty good job on the cut across the top of the roof that I filled with a strip of Evergreen. It came out pretty smooth and you can't see the cut or feel it except there's a very prominent "ghost" of the filler putty itself!

oldsmotor06-vi.jpg

That's when I decided to leave it in primer and the fiction is that that the owner is driving it while he saves up the funds to finish the bodywork and get a paint job. (Actually a pretty common thing in the 1:1 world.)

I know, lame excuse. :P

Anyway, here's a shot of the engine that started it all. It's really the best part of the model! :lol: )

oldsmotor08-vi.jpg

So go ahead, rip it, I can take it. I'm probably more critical than any of you are anyway! :wacko:

I have always found chops on the 30's cars so very difficult to pull off well because of all the raised body lines around the window frames. It's really hard to get in there with sanding sticks and get the job done right. I think you did an admirable job.

Nice project and you should be proud.

Here's an easy fix for your roof ghosting. If it's really smooth to touch and no flaws except the ghosting, lightly sand the area with 1000 or 1500 grit. Dip a 1/2 wide brush in Future, flow it over the area smoothly and leave it. Don't over stroke the brush, just one sweep. Let it cure, then reprime and you're done.

No ghosts. Future makes a great barrier between filler and prime or prime and top coats.

The chop actually came out better than the one I did on my Revell 'three winder.' I've decided to do mine in semigloss black and it will get salt or dry lakes dust added to it as 'camouflage.'

Even with your own harsh self-critique, Drew, I really like it....and that Olds motor looks the business!

Here's a little tip on chopping a top on a 32 and it's how I did this one in the attached pic. I use two bodies...when you lower the lid, the roof needs to be extended a little so I use one body as a sacrificial lamb and use a razor saw to cut out a small strip of the roof, side to side. I then cut the lowered roof in the middle, side to side and glue in the strip I cut out from the sacrificial body. This way you have all the small details of the window area already in place and only a small amount of filler is needed. Same thing goes for if the roof needs to be widened a tad.

This roof was chopped using this method and it was actually pretty easy... a lot easier than trying to get pieces of strip stock to be perfect!

100_2694-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Drew, you have one thing up on most of us.....YOU FINISHED IT ANYWAY.... have you noticed how many WIPs just stop. a lot of us give up toss it into the box and forget about it. On to the next one. Thats the great thing about modeling, if it doesnt work out you can scrap it, It might be interresting for everyone to pull out a bailed progect and randomly mail it to some one on this forum to see what they can do with it. LOL

Drew, you have one thing up on most of us.....YOU FINISHED IT ANYWAY.... have you noticed how many WIPs just stop. a lot of us give up toss it into the box and forget about it. On to the next one. Thats the great thing about modeling, if it doesnt work out you can scrap it, It might be interresting for everyone to pull out a bailed progect and randomly mail it to some one on this forum to see what they can do with it. LOL

thats how i got the parts for my 74 dart conversion and to start my superbird project.

Drew, you have one thing up on most of us.....YOU FINISHED IT ANYWAY.... have you noticed how many WIPs just stop. a lot of us give up toss it into the box and forget about it. On to the next one.

Oh I've got boxes and boxes of unfinished projects out in the garage! Projects that turned out to be more work than I wanted or just were sinking into a morass of constant problems. Boom, back in the box. "I wonder what's on TV tonight!"

Hey Drew:

Take it easy my friend.... this is a good build.... bottom line "YOU" may know where the problems are but this car holds its own very well.....you need to consider the "overall presentation" of the car.... and it presents very well indeed...... next build you will make corrections and they just keep getting a bit better each time.... this is a very good build and you did well with it!!!!

Regards

Bill (Duntov)