Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is Model building going to die off after our Generation goes?

Plus, don't you have to shut the engine off by turning the key? In other words, you need the key in the ignition anyway... so what's the point of pushbutton start? Answer: enough consumers think it's "cool," so automakers offer it.

...and yet, that isn't new. I clearly remember older cars with that feature. My Grandfather's 1960 Buick LeSabre had the switch under the gas pedal. You tromped on the pedal to crank the engine. Some cars had it on the dash.

Guest Johnny

...and yet, that isn't new. I clearly remember older cars with that feature. My Grandfather's 1960 Buick LeSabre had the switch under the gas pedal. You tromped on the pedal to crank the engine. Some cars had it on the dash.

Uncles 49 Chevy had the push button on the dash! His kids were playing in the car and evidently turned the key on then one pushed the starter button, with the car in gear!!! It fired and made it a half mile down the road before running off into a almost dry creek bed!

Had it been a few days earlier the creek was almost over it's banks!

Which generation???? I see in this hobby at least three generations: 20-somethings (and some teens thrown in for good measure), the 40's crowd, and guys in their 60's and early 70's. That's clearly three generations, all within this hobby. We've pretty much seen a fourth generation fade away--those who would today be in their mid-late 80's and older.

Art

How do we go from talking model cars to real cars? Let's keep the subject on this forum to models, OK? Any way, I'm putting in my two cents since I'm the grouchy old man on the corner.(that's what my wife calls me) I built models back in the sixties as a teenager. After I moved out and got married I let the hobby pass me by. In late 2007 I had emergency surgery on my guts after a colonoscopy perforated my colon. While I was recooping members of my family told me that this was a sign to slow down and smell the Testor's. So I got back into modeling, some 1/25, some 1/16, one 1/12 but mostly 1/8. I prefer the old T's, Tubs and Deuces. I don't build box stock, I customize and make different resin parts to satisfy my taste for the build. As far as this hobby going down the tubes? I doubt it. Kids today have 400 times more stuff to do than we did, but there are the chosen few that will carry on our legacies. All it will take is for the loner to decide that working with his hands is more beneficial for his overall well-being than hopefully he will get it. As far as what happens after I push up the daisies, I could give a rat's %&$. But now I'm starting to ramble and my beer can is empty so I need to replenish and stay hydrated. Stay thirsty my friends!

50's push button starting, and that pump the gas, pull the choke, stall, restart dance..............................yup, life was simpler :rolleyes:What your showing here is a 50's Chevorlet Truck, you had to use a Key with a Floor Starter pedal, my old 41 Chevrolet was the same way, in the early 50's we had Automatic Chokes, the 50's brought out the Push Button Transmission, Life back then was, use what we had, there's no saying that life was better then, but we did have a lot Family time then, then we do today, we didn't have TV, no Disney World, we did have River View Park, but you see, we did what we could on a whole lot less then we have today, and look what all of the Greed did to

our Banking system, and to the Big Shots in Washington, The Trumps of this World with all big ideas taking our jobs and using Robots, Computers this Computers & that, Phones, Old Ma Bell, has turned around Grave, how many times, in 1955 Chevrolet came out with first V8, and we able to work on them, today, the Computer rules, I have a 2005 Cadillac SXR bought as a used car 3.6 V6 my Grandson fixed a burned out Turn Signal for me, he had to take the inner fender out to change one bulb, Cadillac wanted close to $200.00 plus parts, they wanted $ 350.00 for Rear Calipers and Pads, I got the Parts from Auto Zone for $158.00 with Tax, so are things better today, things have made us lazy! I did my own Ironing, Dish Washing, had a Garden, because we had to, today theres Dish Washers, Washing Machines, Dryers, Electric Vacums, we had it rougher then today, but the cost of Models was less then $5.00 in the 60's Romell said it best, to much Tech,. stuff for our own good.

But I still say God Bless America, (One Nation Under God)

mickey 1938

s

Sounds like tinfoil hat conspiracy theory stuff to me..

Rob If you don't realize that big Govt. has always been "involved" with big business, well what's the use!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat's attitude reminds me of Ricky Bobby's commercial for Big Red,

"if you don't like 50's cars then.......................YOU!"

but then that may be appliable to his over all attitude as well, if you don't see it his way then..........................

Thanks You DoubleD, you've just proven how derogatory some people are..

When the personal attacks start, you alwyas know they have run out of honest things to say.

No different from today...take a typical '12 Ford or Chevy, '12 Hyundai or Honda...anyone can easily tell them apart if they pay attention to modern cars.

I respectfully disagree here. At 100 yards or more your average 4 door sedan is nearly indistinquishable from any other. There are some that stand out for one reason or another, but for the most part auto designers haven't taken a real risk since the Aztec.

and people wonder why model builders are looked at like shut in psycho nut cases that will kill you in an instant...Way to go folks, you just made it a whole lot easier for non builders to judge us.

You need to find find new friends if thats the crowd you're in. I don't worry about the judgements of anyone. And you make it sound like having an online discussion/arguement is something only modelers do. I bet you can find threads like this on any hobby/interest forum on the net. Check the HAMB, you'll find some whoppers there. No punches pulled. Go post up a rat rod there, I dare ya.

Edited by Jantrix

Yeah- one thread makes a whole group look bad. :lol: Not that I care what the general public feels about what I choose to do as a hobby anyway. If they like it, fine. If not, I couldn't care less. And if they think less of me for gluing together little plastic cars, so be it. For all I know, they're hobby is torturing rats or something.

Want 'internet drama'? Go to NASIOC sometime. It's basically the automotive-forum equivalent of 4chan. (And if you've never heard of 4chan, you are very lucky.)

Guest Johnny

and people wonder why model builders are looked at like shut in psycho nut cases that will kill you in an instant...Way to go folks, you just made it a whole lot easier for non builders to judge us.

Did you eat paint chips as a child? :wacko::lol:

You need to find find new friends if thats the crowd you're in. I don't worry about the judgements of anyone. And you make it sound like having an online discussion/arguement is something only modelers do. I bet you can find threads like this on any hobby/interest forum on the net. Check the HAMB, you'll find some whoppers there. No punches pulled. Go post up a rat rod there, I dare ya.

The guys on the HAMB don't play, you have to wear your big boy britches if you want to post there.

One thing, though, is that the question was asking if model building will die out...

Let's not forget that includes military, aircraft, model ships, etc., which have pretty enthusiastic hobbyists, although I don't know how their numbers might compare to model car builders.

Those subjects also make up a huge part of the catalogues of companies like Revell, etc., and may have something to do with their overall budgets regarding how many new car kits they issue.

Edited by sjordan

One thing, though, is that the question was asking if model building will die out...

Let's not forget that includes military, aircraft, model ships, etc., which have pretty enthusiastic hobbyists, although I don't know how their numbers might compare to model car builders.

Those subjects also make up a huge part of the catalogues of companies like Revell, etc., and may have something to do with their overall budgets regarding how many new car kits they issue.

I think we all kind of forgot about those subjects

At a big independent hobby shop here, the space allotted to military/aircraft/ship plastic kits is waaaay bigger than that for car kits. Car kits get both sides of one aisle, the other kits get several aisles plus all the wall space.

At one LHS, car kits have one side of one Isle, then they get two sides of the next isle over, then at the other LHS (same owner), one long isle of car kits on one side, and three isle's of the other subjects.