Model Cars Magazine Forum

Went To The Mid-Atlantic NNL This Weekend

gwolf

post-11636-0-37294600-1368461444_thumb.j

This past Saturday was my birthday and I spent a good part of the day at the Mid-Atlantic NNL this weekend, held at the Knights of Columbus at the Columbian Center in Severna Park, Maryland. It was sponsored by the Maryland Automotive Modelers Association ( http://www.mamasboyz.org/ ) A big thank you to MCM member Wheels for telling me about the event.

This was the greatest thing ever. For about an hour I could not even concentrate because of the immensity of this model car show and swap meet. Never have I seen this many kits, old and new in one place.

post-11636-0-90391700-1368463848_thumb.j

My birthday present to myself, an unbuilt Jo-Han 1960 Desoto.

I picked up a few $3 unbuilt kits, 3 of them being early 90's Pontiac Grand Prix's. A bargain at twice the price.

post-11636-0-79894300-1368461433_thumb.j

There were so many entries in this contest I'm not sure I even got to see all of them. There were 3 rows like this of vehicles and vehicles only.

post-11636-0-52430000-1368461442_thumb.j

One of my favorite entries was this Earl Scheib panel wagon. A great build and fantastic topic.

post-11636-0-92476700-1368461440_thumb.j

A nice deuce with motorcycle fenders.

post-11636-0-75446000-1368461434_thumb.j

One dealer had an immense selection of bargain priced parts; hoods, windshields, engines, bumpers, you name it. I picked up engines for 50 cents, wheel and tire combos for a buck, even a 1/25 laptop as well as all sorts of other great stuff.

post-11636-0-19705500-1368461436_thumb.j

post-11636-0-74020400-1368461437_thumb.j

post-11636-0-96570600-1368461438_thumb.j

Tires man, tires...

post-11636-0-10417300-1368461446_thumb.j

Apparently they hold a flea market in the same location as the NNL and there was some confusion. But hey, at least it spread the word of the hobby.

post-11636-0-30282900-1368463654_thumb.j

Found a Rat Fink t-shirt, brand new but from 1998 for $10 (It's the purple and green box). The crazy thing is that these were made by House Industries for their Ed "Big Daddy" Roth fonts they released that year. It comes in an old school size model car box. http://www.houseind.com/search/?search=rat+fink

post-11636-0-96632700-1368461430_thumb.j

On my 40th birthday, for the first time in my life, I have won a raffle prize; behold, the Ed "Big Daddy" Roth Beatnik Bandit.

Great guy and had an awesome booth. The only problem is that he has such great parts that now I'm thinking of using an engine I got from him to replace one I've already finished and got wired just because it sits in the mounts a little better, lol. I also got the 1/25 scale laptop from him. Can't beat his parts boxes.

We are VERY glad you had a good time at our show. I do have to say,however, that the word "immensity" has probably never been used in describing our show. Our NNL is one of the smallest model car shows in the country. We had 175 paid attendance and 435 models. By comparison, NNL EAST most likely has that many people and models 5 minutes after the doors open.

I hope all who attended had a good time. I believe the vendors all did well also. Look for our 2014 show on the SECOND Saturday in May next year. Next year's themes will be "50 Years of Mustangs" and "57 Chevys vs. '57 Fords".

I too had a great time at the show and it was the first time attending. I finally got to meet Ken Hamilton and also Marcos Cruz, two great guys with a lot of talent and knowledge to share. I didn't think it was a small show, there were enough models there to make me use another memory card on my camera, too bad I lost my camera at one of the rest areas when going back home. :( Hopefully I am lucky and someone returns it.

I too had a great time at the show and it was the first time attending. I finally got to meet Ken Hamilton and also Marcos Cruz, two great guys with a lot of talent and knowledge to share. I didn't think it was a small show, there were enough models there to make me use another memory card on my camera, too bad I lost my camera at one of the rest areas when going back home. :( Hopefully I am lucky and someone returns it.

Thanks Ed, it was a cool show, it was also a pleasure to meet and talk with you. I loved the Corvette theme, my good friend Barry Fadden took the win on that one and it was a well deserved one, I loved the color he used on that model. Hopefully for next year, we can have a bigger crowd, I think this recession has a lot to do with the attendance not to mention that it's also celebrated on Mothers day weekend. Sorry about your camera man....

I had a great time. It's not the number of people there, it's that the right people are there! I spent the day talking to folks I know from boards and don't see often. I too bought some great 'junk' from the parts type vendors. It was a great day out and I thank the Mama's crew for their efforts!

Thanks Ed, it was a cool show, it was also a pleasure to meet and talk with you. I loved the Corvette theme, my good friend Barry Fadden took the win on that one and it was a well deserved one, I loved the color he used on that model. Hopefully for next year, we can have a bigger crowd, I think this recession has a lot to do with the attendance not to mention that it's also celebrated on Mothers day weekend. Sorry about your camera man....

By the way, I thought yours was the best model on that category. My friends and I voted for it!