Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Tudor Sedan Wip

Lyle Willits

Just wanted to knock one of these out quickly to see how everything looked and fit. Except for the small block 265 Chevy, this will be pretty much out of the box. Paint is Duplicolor blue Metalspecks - kind of an in-scale metalflake.

I masked off the white plastic roof insert before any primer or paint and it sure looks like a white vinyl insert to me.

Front and rear suspension has been lowered as on all of the Revell '32's I've built. Interior is fairly plain and I'm going to leave it like that. I'm having fun with this one. It should be done within another week.

001-vi.jpg

002-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg

Super sweet! I've wanted to see how one of these goes together myself, but can not find one locally. I may have to hit Evil-bay.

That motor (265) looks to be from the AMT 55 Belair. Don't forget to add the top mount oil-filter, from AMT's 55 pick up kit.

For the rear end, all you need to do is whack about 1/16" out of the air bags that locate the rear axle to the chassis. Trimming the air bags down flush with the section that's missing from their back sides seems to produce about the right ride height. Of course, you lose the mounting pins that way, but it's no big deal, because you can always glue the rear axle in place with some 5-minute epoxy.

If you cut off the mounting pin flush with the top of the airbag, then drill a 1/16" hole where the pin was, you can insert a piece of 1/16" tubing/rod in the hole after you've cut the airbags down to the height you want. I then fill in the backside of the airbaf with thick superglue to get rid of the unwanted hole in the back.

Super sweet! I've wanted to see how one of these goes together myself, but can not find one locally. I may have to hit Evil-bay.

That motor (265) looks to be from the AMT 55 Belair. Don't forget to add the top mount oil-filter, from AMT's 55 pick up kit.

Thanks guys, for saving me the time of having to answer the "lowering question" :D

The 265 is the Revell '55 / '56 engine and has a top mount oil filter in the kits.

Lyle,

Thanks for the pics of the new '32!! Why didn't you build it with the flathead engine?

Regards,

Because then it wouldn't be any different from the next 500 you see built. :D

I'm sure I'll use the flathead engines in several more builds but it would just kill me to actually build a car using only the parts that came in THAT box.

That is turning out really nice. Its nice to do a simple build every once in a while. I like your choice of motor. Seams more period correct. I was just going to swap bodies to make a sedan, but not I might have to get this one. That will only make about number 30.

Great job. Kepp posting updates.

Here you go Lyle, some photos I shot of lowering a 40 Ford same idea on the front. You can do this to the 32 tru 48 Fords infact I did the same to the rears on the 40 and 48 to lower. The 32 is different but, you can see the basic idea here.

On the left one I opened up the slot

cutting2-vi.jpg

I also notched the sides a little

knotchingframe-vi.jpg

top one shows how I shaved the front so it will slide into the frame crossmember slot

stockandshaved-vi.jpg

stock

stockfront-vi.jpg

lowered

cutandstock-vi.jpg

you may have to hog out the center so it does not hit the motor oil pan depending how much you are lowering it.

stock 40

stock-vi.jpg

lowered with stock hight axle

cutstockdrop1-vi.jpg

Oh yea by the way cool 32 you got goin there Lyle!

Because then it wouldn't be any different from the next 500 you see built. :lol:

I'm sure I'll use the flathead engines in several more builds but it would just kill me to actually build a car using only the parts that came in THAT box.

That's too funny, Lyle!! :lol::lol::lol:

I can't remember the last time that I build a model with just what came in the box. :P:P Using two or more kits per build is the only way I'm going to get close to building all of the models I have before I head off to the big glue factory in the sky...and that's not counting the new kits that I'll buy this year!! :lol::lol::lol: