Model Cars Magazine Forum

tamiya brilliant blue spray lacquer

That Testors Icy Blue will have a TON of metallic in it compared to the Tamiya. If you are going for a heavy metalflake finish, use the Testors, if you are looking for more of a factory color or less metalflake, use the Tamiya. I have used them both and the Testors would be more appropriate for a bass boat or custom show car paint job while the Tamiya looks like something that is a close factory match.

I definitely wouldn't use "Icy Blue" unless you want it to look like a bass boat. The flake in that paint is way too big for a model. I painted a model with it and regret it every time I look at it. Someday I'm going to yank it off the shelf and repaint it.

Edited by plowboy

yeah im replicating the 89 virginia giant.....brian thats the older paint job pic. the tamiya looks to light and the va giant did have alot of flake. this is where in at now with it , about 80 % done with frame ..still have to make rear shocks fuel cell and batteries

post-9983-0-89936200-1339782759_thumb.jp

post-9983-0-90910600-1339782781_thumb.jp