Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg '34 Ford 'Custom' Pickup

Chuck Most

Finally, Lindberg sees fit to re-pop an old favorite! The ex-AMT '34 pickup is back for another go-round.

I will assume that most of you are familiar with this golden oldie, so I'll mainly discuss my observations about this particular reissue of the kit.

First off, the stock version's parts are still included in the kit. That means the Armstrong bias-plies, crude but effective Flattie, and those gorgeous wire wheels (which still, inexplicably, suffer from very little flash) are back for another go-round. One thing that did not make it back from the last issue is the set of S-spoke billet wheels- the earlier, five-hole Center Line style wheels seen in the first Lindberg branded issue of this old girl are back. I was kind of hoping, after seeing these wheels in the box, that the earlier tuck-n-roll pattern tonneau cover would make a return appearance as well. Alas, we get the 'smooth' textured tonneau that's been with the kit since the mid '90's reissue. On the plus side, the wrecker boom and all-chrome (good or bad- your call) T-Bird 390 FE are back as well.

The parts are molded in plain old white styrene. You'll still have to watch out for the molding seams on the frame (which run through the shock arms), on the cab (where they run down the rear cut line of each door), and the bed along the sides of the rails. Somehow, the kit also magically became 1/24 scale since it's last time out, according to the box art! :P

My gripes are few. First, like most Lindberg issues- the chrome tree is not bagged. On my '34, the clear parts were not bagged, either. Hey- Lindberg? These are the two parts trees that should be bagged! The 'glass' was unscathed, but a few parts on my chrome tree suffered from a bit of 'box rash'. And the latest reissue includes no decals- I was kind of hoping to see the old 'Red Crown/Sinclair' sheet come back. Oh, well, that's what the spares box is for! (You do hang onto spare decals for situations like this, right?)

I'll post pics of my build from this re-issue once I get batteries for my camera, even though it's not really close to a box stock build.

Okay- enough of my blabberin'. Let's hear YOUR two cents on this classic, and see your builds!

Guest promodmerc

I like it so much I snagged three kits long before your review Chuck.

On side note I picked up Lindberg's 61 Hayden Profit Impala and the glass was bagged. The chrome wasn't.

I like it so much I snagged three kits long before your review Chuck.

On side note I picked up Lindberg's 61 Hayden Profit Impala and the glass was bagged. The chrome wasn't.

Lindberg seems to be kind of 'hit or miss' on the subject lately!

As promised, here's mine. As I stated, not box stock (I built it to see how well the Revell Deuce parts adapted to it), but a pretty good representation of what can be done with this kit!

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckMost/34-ford-blue-devil-/

Lindberg seems to be kind of 'hit or miss' on the subject lately!

As promised, here's mine. As I stated, not box stock (I built it to see how well the Revell Deuce parts adapted to it), but a pretty good representation of what can be done with this kit!

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckMost/34-ford-blue-devil-/

I like it, that turned out quite nice, just for thought on the next one, the upper"trim?" on the back of the cab is the real difference between a32, & '34 P-cup. Just block it off, & presto change o, instant '32 truck! Also let us know if we can use the rear seat from the sedan as a replacement in the truck. Keep it up, great ideas.

I like it, that turned out quite nice, just for thought on the next one, the upper"trim?" on the back of the cab is the real difference between a32, & '34 P-cup. Just block it off, & presto change o, instant '32 truck! Also let us know if we can use the rear seat from the sedan as a replacement in the truck. Keep it up, great ideas.

The '32 rear window surround was also separate, and riveted in. I've got a '34 cab I'm turning into a '32 right now. That one may end up on a Revell Deuce chassis.

Edited by Chuck Most

IMG_3184.jpg

Hey, Marshall? Does the kit actually include dual rear wheels?

Yes it does. It has 7 tires in the kit (one for the spare well). The dual wheel set up has a plastic piece the holds 2 tires together to make the dual rear set up.This was one the most fun builds I've done in a long time!

Love your signature picture by the way... That is hilarious!

Edited by Custom Hearse

Yes it does. It has 7 tires in the kit (one for the spare well). The dual wheel set up has a plastic piece the holds 2 tires together to make the dual rear set up.This was one the most fun builds I've done in a long time!

Love your signature picture by the way... That is hilarious!

Sweet! I'm going to have to dig one of these golden oldies up now, for sure!

And yeah, I like my sig picture as well! B)

Is this the kit that has the gray and orange customs and black stock build on the cover? If so, my kit did NOT have the additional tires and set up for the dual wheel/tires in the rear, but rather wide custom tires and wheels, and in addition to the tow truck parts, it also has the stake bed like the previous release, though these options are not shown on the box art.

Wondering why.....

Thx

Ed

• 1 year later...

One of my all-time faves, back for another go around! Who else is glad to see Lindberg at least partway out of the woods. I’ve loved this kit for a very long time! I have a 1:1 ’34 Ford pickup in an ‘advanced state of disrepair’ which will one day be a late ‘50’s style rod… I wonder if building all those Lindberg ‘34s as hot rods as a kid have anything to do with that?

Yep, this is the long-running ex-AMT kit, which if I recall dates back to the early ‘60’s. considering the age of the tooling, this has always been a pretty well molded kit. Sure, there are some mold lines and a bit of flash to contend with, but nothing too major, and I’ve personally seen a LOT worse!

This one is dolled up with a new Coke decal sheet (no, not a ‘New Coke’ sheet), and though the box art only shows the stake body, the pickup bed is still part of the deal. In fact, so is the wrecker boom. Oh, and the chromed headlamp bezel/reflector castings are still there, even though it appears they were not installed on the box art model! Aside from the Coke decals and the lack of the custom Goodyear ‘gatorback’ tires, this one is pretty much identical to the most recent reissues. I was half-expecting the kit to be molded in yellow, like the mid ‘90’s reissues. No sirree, Bob… white plastic all the way.

As I mentioned earlier, all the parts from the previous reissue are here. That means you can theoretically build a ‘hot rod’ Coke truck, if that is what your twisted little heart desires. The custom wheels are 5-hole Centerlines, a bit dated but fairly well done, and the tonneau cover is still the smooth one with snaps, as opposed to the tuck and roll pattern piece in pre-1995 reissues. And that simplified but oh-so-cool Ford T-bird 390 FE big block is still there!

About my only gripes… the kit is listed as 1:24, it is in fact 1:25- scale discrepancies on Lindberg kit boxes seem to be kind of an ‘in’ thing these days. And for whatever reason, Lindberg still does not see fit to bag the clear sprue, though in this case, there wasn’t any perceptible damage to the plating. I’d also recommend replacing the ‘plastic wire’ axles with metal ones, as the plastic axles are a bit too bendy and brittle to serve their purpose reliably. The kit does go together very easily out of box, so even a novice could build a presentable example, and it has just as many hot rod possibilities as the real truck. As this was originally an AMT kit, quite a few bits from other AMT Ford kits of the era will drop in without much effort.

kitcontents001-vi.jpg

kitcontents002-vi.jpg

kitcontents003-vi.jpg

kitcontents004-vi.jpg

kitcontents6-vi.jpg

kitcontents006-vi.jpg

kitcontents007-vi.jpg

Thanks for this review.....I have several of these on my shelf....in different versions and most recently this one.....this is just a neat kit and affords a ton of flexibility....great review of a favorite old kit!!!

Regards Bill (Duntov)

Thanks for the review.I was wondering if this issue included those other parts. Always liked this kit and it has a reasonable price as well.

From the review (first post):

"...though the box art only shows the stake body, the pickup bed is still part of the deal. In fact, so is the wrecker boom."

"As I mentioned earlier, all the parts from the previous reissue are here."

About my only gripes… the kit is listed as 1:24, it is in fact 1:25- scale discrepancies on Lindberg kit boxes seem to be kind of an ‘in’ thing these days.

kitcontents001-vi.jpg

Probably not a mistake ... probably intentional. Given the French printing on the box, Lindberg probably labeled the kit 1/24 to appeal to the Canadian and European markets since 1/24 is the "more accepted" scale internationally.

They probably figure there's not much difference between 1/24 and 1/25, so why not?

:lol:

So how can a small-time model car company like Lindberg get away with "Coke" decals when the "big" model companies can't do "Firestone" or "Goodyear" tires??? :mellow:

Harry,

Very simple answer! The Coca Cola license and royalties covered just this kit, where tire company names (such as Firestone or Goodyear) go on, and on, and on, and on, to the level of obnoxity of the Energizer Bunny. Note, though that Lindberg's rendition of the '34 Ford pickup kit has ARMSTRONG tires, so named right on the side--but they missed the "ounce of prevention" that Armstrong Tire claimed made them 'GGGRRRRRIP The Road".

Art