Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wraith. A jet powered 55 chevy pro street

lanesteele240

Now THAT's cool! I like the carbon fiber on the body and scalloops fit very nicely too. Fantastic work with the Jet engine too, looks like a real deal.

Do you have a picture of that kit, where that Jet Engine was included?

Thanks for the picture!

I have to score one and see what I can do with it. In some point.

I'd like to build Sammy Miller's Vanishing Point Vega Funny Car which ran 3,54 (if I remember correctly) in Santa Pod, England on the 80's.

the carbon fibre is awesome!!!!!

tell mw how!!!!!!!!!!

Well it was tricky. First prime and paint your model simi gloss black. Sand out trash and keep the paint level. You have to work with brand new blades. Change them often. The carbon sheet i use comes with a kinda transparent sheet that keeps the decal from sticking to the plastic bag it comes in. I use it to cut out the basic shape and trim trim trim that pattern till it is very close to where it goes. Use natural breaks in the car as points to start/stop a new decal. You may need to cut reliefs in areas where the model is round. Trim off any overlap because it will shine if you lay down a clear over the carbon. Use micro sol and set to bend the decal into shape. Do any trimming quickly after applying. The pattern can be flipped to be used in the other side of the car. Keep in mind the carbon has a "grain". Keep it square and going in the same direction. Be prepared for some attrition. Spray a decal safe clear to seal in the decal. This gives it a real look but points out your errors like a flair in darkness. I used testors wet look one coat lacour. Use any method of throwing the eye of others off of any errors. I used the kit decals and i will finish it with pe hood pins. One last thing, NOTHING on a car is flat. It may look flat but it aint. You will see this once you put the flat decal on it.

My attempt at heat staining.

8C61C0A4-9DB1-4D11-98AF-FAD869E8CC03-3672-0000046695714D65.jpg

Led installed as an after burner.

20F472BF-AF1C-43DD-84C9-69BED979E2E6-3672-000004669EB40321.jpg

I made a rear tire holder oner out of the wheely bar. This had to be fabed up because the rear end was in the way of the jet. So some extending sawing gluing and melting was required to get it to fit and serve its purpose. All the locator tabs were cut off when i cut the tub. That made things difficult.

9EEBF08E-919C-4CC0-9AFD-5C4E86BF8E1C-3672-000004694E343BB2.jpg

I cut the rear fatties down by 1/2 but they looked like crud. They had to be narrowed because they wont gone fit with the jet and the wide tires were not needed on a jet car. Help was delivered when i got a 65 Fairlane XL in the mail. It came with 2 extra rear tires for a drag option. The model gods smiled at me I am using the stockers on that build so i stole them.

B2B5D44E-45AF-4F37-8486-89363883973F-3672-00000466C087F205.jpg

And finnaly

0FF4DD81-5E01-4E82-AAAF-D03F08CCBA4E-3672-00000466B88CE1C7.jpg

Edited by lanesteele240

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...