Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 VW Bug switched to Fotki

Foxer

This bug came with my wife, along with a German Shepard that called the back seat her own! It was unique in that it had a semi-automatic transmission. You had to shift it, but there was no clutch petal. I found the "clutch" was handled by a vacuum line off the carburetor when I added a 2 barrel and plugged in the transmission line to where the distributor advance line normally went. The transmission shifted "violently" and I eventually bent the main shaft of the transmission. Apparently, the transmission used a lower vacuum than the distributor!

Anyway, using a Hasegawa Volkswagen Beetle Type 1 (1967) kit, I updated it to a 1968. The bumpers were the new ones with a different cross section and a black, recessed stripe at the center. I had to scratch build these from sheet plastic and covered them with BMF. This was my first attempt at making something from scratch and got me back to building again after it came out well.

68 VW SMAL scan0040

68 VW Bug DSC3234

68 VW Bug DSC 5915

68 VW Bug DSC3230

68 VW Bug DSC3239

68VW383

68VW385

Along with my wife's next car, a new Rabbit! This one needs some reworking before it's in the public view! :)

68Bug-RabbitDSC 5904

I was carving leather at the time and made a dyed, carved leather scene to cover the glove box door. The model was painted to match this piece.

LEATHER DASH 2 DSC3236

Edited by Foxer

• 1 month later...

Nice work, Mike; if you hadn't told us about making the bumpers, they would surely pass for kit parts.

..........is that little bunny agate brown, by any chance? My mom's second VW was a '77 Rabbit in that color.

Agate Brown .. you win, Dave! .. straight from the dealer's touch-up aisle. :)

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...