Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rural gas stop just ouside of Thomasville -1/32 scale

GTMust

Starting to think this is a roadside convenience store with a gas pump... instead of the other way round!

I've got the sign pole made and all the signage in place with the exception of the hanging sign for the pole. I have it made but still looking in the craft stores and dollar stores for some chain to hang it from the pole. I also intend to weather the signs a little.

almost+2.jpg

almost+1.jpg

almost+3.jpg

I have found a few Greyhound bus signs to suit the era.... which explains the young lady waiting on the bench? Oh... and the sand in front of the pump?....... that's to soak up an oil spill from a previous customer!

Joe....

The '29 Model A pickup is from the Pyro/Lindberg kit..... and the previous picture with the grey car at the pump is a Pyro kit of a 1930(something) Packard Coupe.

Thanks for the comment.

Tony

Edited by GTMust

Looks great, Tony. And good luck with the e-test on the Ranger!

Thanks Tony.

The Ranger passed the safety and E-test with flying colors and I even got the new windshield installed! Now it's all legal and on the road.... ready for a Canadian winter?

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to period pictures from Ed.... I've built the Mobilgas Pylon sign panel and added it to the site. Now I just have to add the Greyhound bus stop sign when I get some ink for my printer.... and that should be it.

006.jpg

005.jpg

You may have to scroll to the right to see the sign in the second picture!

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I figured the storefont needed a light over the door, so I came up with this idea.

I used a small coat hook for the light frame and cut off the end of it.....then cut a small piece from the end of a styrene tube.

Light+parts.jpg

I searched through Michael's costume jewelry untill I came up with something "bell like" that looked like a fancy light shade and superglued it to the light frame.

oh+lamp.jpg

And... voila! Now the 1/32 scale folks can see in the dark.....

oh+lamp+in+place.jpg

One more little detail done!

Tony

Now this is cool Tony. Very nicely done. The roof needs a stove pipe sticking out and maybe add lights to the free-standing sign with power line running from the corner of the store, complete with glass insulators?

Thanks Brad. I don't know about the glass insulators... but the rest of your suggestions are very do-able, especially the stove pipe. But I'll have to check on the lights for the sign. From various source pics I've seen, the pylon signs don't appear to be lit in the '20's to early '40's era. (Phew.... that makes my life easier! LOL)

Thanks for you comment Danny.

Tony

Tony love the light shade. Yeah craft stores have all sorts of goodies we can use. For my tribute bike build I used a button, and a charm from a charm bracelet on it.

If you decide to do glass insulators check out the bead dept. Lots of different styles to choose from.

Edited by Mercman