Model Cars Magazine Forum

Weathered 64 Chevy C10

This was my first try at weathering and thanks to so many online references from the military guys (also Dr. Cranky's) and a lot of patience I was able to achieve the following results. I wanted to replicate an old farm truck that had been left out in a field for this build. The kit is the Revell/Monogram 64 Chevy C10 stock version and is built box stock. I used the "hairspray technique" along with some washes, color modulation paint on the body, weathering powders and some sponging and rust streaking. All the work was done with acrylics, other than the base rust color which was enamel and the top coat was Testors DullCote. The interior was a blend of two Krylon colors that I mixed, decanted and airbrushed on to replicate the fawn metallic interior paint color and seat. For the chassis, underhood, fender wells, insides of the bumpers and lower bed rails I used Scale Motorsports textured interior spray. Since it simulated a coarse finish I thought it would be a good base for the heavier rusted areas. All the chrome was stripped as I wanted to build this as a base model truck which would have had white bumpers, grille, grille surround and hubcaps. Now it's time to do a pro street version of this kit!

DSCF6080-vi.jpg

lf-vi.jpg

leftrear-vi.jpg

Amazing how realistic it looks. That weathering is done very nicely, and great to see these Farm Trucks here. Engine looks nice too from what I can see. Also I like that wooden bed, it looks realistic too. Nice job with it.

Hallo Ed,

your pick up looks great! Looks like, that the whole body is weathered with rusty dust. Very cool. I like this Pickup also stock.

The only point, that i dont like is the uniform satin "gloss". - only my opinion!

I think, thats the result of taking hairspray, you wrote? Had you finished the work with it to seal it?

Oh man, if this is your first time, I can't wait to see what you do with the next three. This is a wonderful weathered vehicle. What you don't realize is that Rust and Gunk are now in your blood. Might as well face it, you are addicted to Rust!

Keep the great eye candy coming!

LONG LIVE RUST! (and Gunk!)

this looks fantastic. im liking all the details, but the one i like most is the oil stains under the chassis. :lol:

as for the glass, i like to think of it as if the owner replaced the glass just to keep it somewhat drivable... :lol:

Thanks for the compliments guys! Seeing all the great builds here on the forum continually challenges me to try new things. I agree with everyone about the glass, and it is on my list of minor tweaks I would like to do. I did hit it with some steel wool and coarse cotton cloth prior to installing it, but it still is a little too shiny, although in person it doesn't seem as bad as the pics make it look. I had to slam it together to get it done for a club contest, so I never tried to correct it yet. Anyone have a tip on the best way to dull the glass? I am thinking a very light mist coat of matte clear with a touch of dust or tan mixed in. I could probably do that with the airbrush while it is still assembled and perhaps even mask off some wiper streaks and then just touch up the weatherstripping.

Dr Cranky, I already have the addiction and I know it. I am already looking for kits in my collection that I don't particularly care for the accuracy of or detail of. I will say this, I had no idea how time consuming this type of paint detailing was. I have a whole new respect for the military guys who do this on everything they build.

Dr Cranky, I already have the addiction and I know it. I am already looking for kits in my collection that I don't particularly care for the accuracy of or detail of. I will say this, I had no idea how time consuming this type of paint detailing was. I have a whole new respect for the military guys who do this on everything they build.

Oh yeah, it's time consuming all right, but a lot of fun, and I still find it very relaxing because it is not the nerve-wrecking pressure of a flawless paint job and model. These builds are very forgiving, and thus they are good for the nerves! ;)