Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where did you build when you were a kid

I was spoiled. My dad had a very well equipped workshop in our home, heated, lots of lighting, two 8 foot benches covered in formica, carpeting, built in spray booth he made for me, and a really sweet lathe. Now its an old kitchen table in an unused bedroom. :(

Great topic..!! Back in the early 60's my stepfather was an Apartment. Bldg. Superintendent in the Bronx, NY, and I had a sectioned off area of a storeroom/workshop in the basement of the building that we lived in. I had an old table that I built on, and my finished models were kept on shelves in old breakfront furniture that tenants in the building threw out for trash. I painted with enamel spray cans and brush paint in that room. That was my own little world that I retreated to for hours and hours... Yep... Nothing wrong with being nostalgic sometimes. I do wish that I still had most of those models from those days, even though they would probably be considered glue bombs by today's standards. Good old Testors tube glue or Duco Cement is what I used back then... Yuk...

We lived in an enourmous house on 4 acres of land in the vicinity of Munich. The entire downstairs were my dad's drawing offices, with a huge room with nine big drawing desks where the engineers worked. There were numerous other rooms, one for making blueprints, archives, my dad's office, and several storage rooms. In an annex, there was a room that wasn't used for anything, but it had a door to the garden. This became my first modelling workshop and I could just step outside to spray paint.

When I was 13 or so, I started to clear out and do up a wooden garden house, about 50 yards from the main building further back on the grounds. I was finished and moved in at age 15, so at that age, I had my own three room house! One of the rooms I slept in, one was for the models, and one was a workshop for my bikes/mopeds.

My sister then took over all the rooms I had formerly occupied in the main building, thus ending up with three rooms for herself as well. It was paradise.

I started on the kitchen table. Later moved to a friends basement. Then took over a room in our basement. When I got married for the first time. Living room coffee table, then a desk in the bedroom. Later a full basement again. Currently now have 1/2 the basement here with the current wive. Also slowly creeping into parts of her side. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

When I was a kid, I had a 24'x43' Hobby area on the 3rd floor of my Grandparent's house, where I had a large model Railroad, that my Grandfather helped me build. In that room I also had a 12' x 30" work bench built of white Oak, with the work counter boards fitted so tightly threr were no cracks between them, that always amazed me because that work bench was over 40 years old when I first saw it. I also had a spray booth with exaust to the out side that my Great Uncle Sam built for me. I have never had it that good as an adult!

Guest Johnny

After we got married our first place was upstairs in a big old house divided into 4 small apartments. I would place a board across the bath tub to stand on while I painted my models out the bathroom window! Built them on a desk I found in the alley in the corner of the living room!

When we moved into our trailer painted them in the carport and built them on the kitchen table.

Sounds like some of you guys had some awesome build areas! I sure enjoyed sitting at the coffee table with mom and dad watching the news or the Walton's, heck, from time to time I put a waltons DVD in and go to town on a kit. Thanks for posting guys!

I had an old table in our pantry that I worked on and it was all mine. My brothers weren't aloud to use it and that was Ok by me. That way I could keep track of all of my stuff and build and paint to my hearts content. Nowa days I do all my buildin in the basement on a metal desk with a paint booth to exhale all the paint fumes and stuff. Again, it's Ok with me. :) Dan