Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2008 Bullitt Mustang

gasman

picked this kit up today, thought I'd write a small review. the kit is basically the 2006 GT kit, with the one piece body (front bumper molded in) it has the wheels from the 06 GT-H kit. which are inaccurate for the 06 GT-H, but accurate for the Buillitt Mustang. the tires are the same as all the other 06+ Mustang kits (except the Shelby KR)There is only 1 piece of new sprue in the kit, and that part has the grill in it, as well as the intake, one minor mistake from Revell is that they didn't fill in the holes for the spoiler. they did give little plugs for the spoiler holes but for the best appearance those holes would have too be filled with putty, and sanded smooth. The kit includes all the stock parts from the 06 issue from the kit, so you could build a stock 07-09 Mustang GT from the kit if they didn't want to build the Bullitt car. The decals sheet is tiny compared to the other version of this kit, but still very good. it includes all the correct bullitt emblems, as well as the under hood decals. and decals fir the dash

I got mine over the weekend, was a bit surprised to see the "old" GT body, but in retrospect it's correct. The Shelby bodies are all-new.

The cold air intake is different than the one in the GT-H kit.

Anyone who has superglue/kicker and sanding/polishing sticks (or wet/dry sandpaper and sanding block) can fill those decklid holes by gluing in the plugs and sanding/polishing the decklid smooth in a couple minutes.

What about the rear bumper ??? is it the 06 Bumper or like the Shelbys ??

EDIT: In my weird thinking I thought the Bullit had the rear splitter type bumper like the Shelbys. all the pics I can find show otherwise so disregard my question hehehe

Edited by midknightx5

What about the rear bumper ??? is it the 06 Bumper or like the Shelbys ??

I know you already answered your own question, but here's my buddy's '09 Bullitt for reference:

DSCN7415_edited-vi.jpg

'09 BULLITT

As soon as spring arrives...which can't happen soon enough IMO....I told Tom we need to shcedule a proper photo shoot of his new toy.

Yea Dave I had a Stoopid moment there. lol I Thought all GTs had that Splitter bumper, but oh well lol I'll be waiting for good pics of your friends Cause the Bullit has lost the two things I hate bout the GT the grille and the Spoiler. I never have liked the GT grille and don't like spoilers on Mustangs and the Bullitt answered that lol

i noticed in this kit while looking it over that the rims have an engraved center cap area where the same rims in the GT-H kit do not. i see it's for the centercap decals that are included on the decal sheet. i wonder why they didn't do that on the earlier issue?

Dave

your right. I assume they did that so that it is easier to apply the decals. but I don't think it would make any difference. according too reference both cars use the exact same wheel. right down too the same center cap.

Bullitt Wheels

3760137_28.jpg

07 GT-H wheels

5bfd_12.JPG

Just got mine painted ... I used Model Master British Green Metallic, which is a pretty decent match for the Dark Highland Green on the 1:1 car. First enamel paint job I've done in a looong time, too! B)

(BTW, I clear-coated the MM enamel with Testors One Coat Wet Look Clear, which is a lacquer, and experienced NO compatibility issues whatsoever.)

Here's something I was wondering ... any one have any ideas on how to go about replicating the engine-turned aluminum dash panel that is one of the Bullitt Mustang's distinguishing features?

I might use the same paint combo, I've also had no problem w/Testors lacquer clear over their enamel. I might lighten it up a bit, IIRC the Testors color is really dark.

As for the engine-turned effect, in scale it would be barely noticeable. But if anyone knows how to replicate it without much difficulty, I'm all ears!

This spring I saw what looked like a new Bullitt, but up close (and only briefly, car was moving) I noticed several things...bigger wheels painted titanium with very wide tires, very low stance, a different hood (more like concept Mustang, with rear-facing ducts), taillight panel had no center emblem, no spoiler, color was a shade closer to olive green than Bullitt...it sounded spectacular. Very stealthy, probably faster than a Super Snake. If I could get a better look at the car I'd probably build my Bullitt like it.

Check my Fotki to see the KR almost finished. Still have to do the cold air intake. Fun kit, looks good after new tires and lowering. I hate stripe decals, I could have painted them faster.