Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I stopped at Rider's Hobby Shop in Grand Rapids, MI on Monday and bought 2 packages of BMF and an "Old Pro" Nova. Thanks for the tip on Rider's. Very nice shop.

I need to get out there one of these days. I went to the one in Lansing a couple months ago but they've been closed for a while, they need to update the yellow pages.

But I did get all 8 of these for $44 shipped.

IMG_20111027_140014.jpg

I have no idea how far you are from grand Rapids, James, but Rider's Hobby Shop might be worth the trip. They have a whole row (40') of models, plus 2 glass cases of aftermarket parts, and as a bonus, they have out of production kits behind the counter. Since I was going home on an airplane, I didn't bother to check their selection of paints.

Couple hours away. We had a Rider's here in Jackson quite a few years ago, but while I was "away" for a couple years they closed up. I been meanin to pay a visit, I'm just waitin til I have enough $ to justify the trip.

Edited by grimreaper

I love those cases, I buy them by the dozen too. They help preserve models forever!

After I realized that some of the kits I have wouldn't fit in the AMT cases I decided to pick up a couple of these. Now these are all I'll buy, I don't want a bunch of mismatched cases on my shelf, plus these are cheaper than the AMT cases at my LHS (even cheaper on Ebay).

Easy. Get a piece of wood. I usually use a 1 x 4 or 1 x 6. Don't use plywood! Cut to the desired length. I like to rout a 1/8" lip on the top side of the board. That gives the plexiglas a place to sit. I've also made cases where the plexiglas just slides over the side of the wood. Measure and cut the plexiglas. I use a special plastic cutter that gets pulled across the plexiglas and scores it. You don't have to go all the way through the plexiglas. I usually do 4 or 5 passes. Put the plexiglas on a sharp edge (workbench top) and snap at the score. Cut the 4 sides. Leave the protective coating except for the inside corners. Use tape to hold in place on the wood and run a bead of clear silicone caulk to the inside corners. Let the silicone set up. Measure for the top and cut. Peal coating away from the inside edge, tape in place, and caulk from the inside. Bing, bang, done. I'm planning to make a few cases in the next week or so. When I do, I'll take some pics and post them on the forum.

Want a cheap display case ?

Get down the pet shop & buy a fish tank. Turn it upside down & ya done !

Add some deading to the bottom (or top if your a fish) held on by clear mastic & it will look even better.

Oh, & the postman brought me 2 Rosco Monaco's today & he's due back at least 4 times next week ! :)

I've gotten a few this month.

The AMT Wabbit ($22+s&h)was the most expensive and the Suzuki Alto ($5+s&h)was the cheapest.

AMTRabbitFujimiHondaStepvan.jpg

FujimiAltoFujimiSoarer2800GT.jpg

TamiyaScionbBFujimiNewSoarer30GT.jpg

The Fujimi New Soarer as a nice engine and Tranny.

Got the GNX since Stewarts build of one is looking Soo Great, I just had to have one. :D

MonogramBuickGNX.jpg

Edited by RodneyBad

I received a Monza a couple of days ago in the mail and just won another '70 Toronado from Ebay earlier today. I'll probably start a thread on the Monza pretty soon; I discovered that a 427 from the '67 Impala street machine fits perfectly and I've already got a color for it.

DSCN5808-vi.jpg

DSCN5809-vi.jpgDSCN5810-vi.jpg

Edited by Tonioseven

Went to Hobby Lobby with the wife. She didn't get anything. Then I wipped out 2 of the 40% off coupons. She said "I should have known better". Got 1 built 62 Catalina from the one with the pink car on the box and another on the shelf. Didn't have this one. Nice tires and different interior. Much better, and a fantastic kit in my opinion. Had to get the 50 Chevy pickup. Plan to make a chariot back wrecker out of it. Both kits for about $32. Ken

DSCF0950.jpg

I also went to Hobby Lobby. They are new here and didn't know I could do two coupons...DANG IT! I got the AMT 1966 Olds 442. I also got a Route 66 license plate for my collection. I collect license plates too, and I pick up a booster or 'hobby' plate every so often. This will probably get front bumper duty on my Studebaker when I make my Route 66 trip.

Edited by Swifster

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...