Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Kahuna - 1/16 F/C - New Body Arrived - 1/12

Joe, Thank you for the information on the wheels. Great build !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome. Glad to oblige.

It's been a rough week and with that as my only excuse, I'll be back on it tomorrow after the Saints game. I've got most of the decals on, so that gets finished before I attempt clear again. No more Lacquer clear for me. Need to get an airbrush so I can do 2 part urethane.

Sad news boys and girls. Body #2 has had the same clear coat problem as the first one. The first one was a lacquer clear, this one was acrylic and it did the same thing.

Only 2 common denominators are: Me, because I'm the one holding the can, and the decals where the pitting starts.

So I'm going to have to wait until I can afford another body and decals. Might be a while for that since the VA and I are still going rounds.

I'll take the rest of the day to decide what my next project is.

Joe, so sorry to hear about the paint issues. I'm sure it's maddening to you at this point, but I hope you don't give up on it and can try to salvage it. There are some good tips on the forum that might possibly assist you. Just trying to encourage you not to quit on the build.

Tim

Thanx for all of the advice and encouragement Everybody. Aside from the Pure Love that I have for this hobby over the last 50 years, these days I build to fight depression. When something like this hits, what I normally do is step back, take a deep breath, then take on something I feel will be less of a challenge. Sounds like the easy way out, but I do it to restore my confidence in my abilities.

I have a couple other projects that this has happened to. Anybody remember the 8 wheeled Deora? The more recent quad blown Charger? Those builds are simply stalled, as is this one. The plan now is, build a snap 66 Batmobile, (already in parts prep), get back on the Charger, then finish the Deora to haul the Charger. After that, I should have the funds to get a 1/16 resin topless Vette for the Hawaiian chassis. Used all of my Hawaiian decals, so I'll have to come up with a new theme.

Again, Thank You for your concern. I don't do "Quit".

Edited by Nitrozilla

• 1 month later...

Joe,

I don't know the status of this build but as far as your paint problems go, you did say "Tomorrow is a couple more coats and some clear before I start decals."

If that means you put a couple of coats of colour and also clear on the same day, (and 3 different clears) that might just be the problem.

Just a thought as I'd never do colour and clear on the dame day.

Joe,

I don't know the status of this build but as far as your paint problems go, you did say "Tomorrow is a couple more coats and some clear before I start decals."

If that means you put a couple of coats of colour and also clear on the same day, (and 3 different clears) that might just be the problem.

Just a thought as I'd never do colour and clear on the dame day.

Hi Jay and Thanks for looking. I always give paint a couple of days at least before I apply clear. I always put on one coat before applying decals to avoid silvering under the decal. I could have made that clearer, pun intended. The chassis is on display in my living room and I'm just waiting for the funds to get a new body. I used up 2 including decals.

I have a different build going on right now. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94233

Nice build, Joe. Tough deal on the clear coat issues. I hope you get it worked out, because that chassis looks great. Oh, and you really don't need to build for me... :D

-Art

Art, I thought you might like it. If I don't get another body in the next few years, it's all yours man... :D

Edited by Nitrozilla

• 2 months later...

This build will be slowly resurrected as I work it into the Charlie Allen build. I got the new body in the mail today. I couldn't wait to knock out the windows on it and give her a test fit. She's got potential if somebody I know would take the time to build a wing for the roof.

This is the Competition Resins Vega Wagon. I ordered the Don Schumacher Wonder Wagon decals by Slixx at the same time, but they are on back order. I'll explore other possibilities in the meantime If anyone has any recommendations for a 1/16 decal set that I can adapt.

Just goes to show you should never abandon a build if there are options available to you. I understand better than anyone that options are not always available. Sometimes dreaming hard enough can make things happen. That ends today's philosophy lesson.

0164.jpg0165.jpg0168.jpg0169.jpg0171.jpg

Thanx for the comments. Engine is nearing completion. Wiring is a toughie. Even got the firing order right, I think.

The firing order for almost every engine except Fords are 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 but you have to remember that the front distributor engines rotate the distributor in the opposite direction of a rear distributor engine, drive gear is on the other side of the cam.

I know that you are probably doing all these steps, but you are allowing the decals to dry at least 24 hours before applying ANY paint over them, and you're cleaning the decals after they set to remove any residual adhesive that might be on them. And the first couple of coats should just be fog coats, and if craters do start to appear you can usually apply several very light coats that will establish a stable base so you can put the rest of the clear on and it will at the worst look like light orange peel that can be sanded and polished.