Model Cars Magazine Forum

Touching Up Chrome

I've had quite a few problems with touching up chrome pieces after I've taken them off the trees. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me make the trim marks not go noticeable. Its especially noticeable when I built and put the finishing touches on my semi trucks. Thanks

Hi Travis, Ihave had good luck with a liquid pencil from Prismacolor. If you have a Hobby Lobby or an Office Depot either one would carry them. They also are made in other colors. Also have used Bare-Metal foil. Good luck

Hi Travis. I also use Testors chrome silver paint to touch up those annoying spots. No matter how careful you are in cutting the chrome parts from the trees, there always seems to be just a little bit that you still have to either trim with an XActo blade or sand with a sanding stick or file. If you can keep those areas as small as possible, usually once you touch up the parts with the chrome silver paint, they're really not terribly noticeable. I usually touch up the parts with the paint and let the paint dry fully BEFORE I glue them in place.

I wish the manufacturers could figure out how to put the attachment points to the sprue trees in areas that won't show on the finished product (although I realize the limitations involved in mold-making for the parts.) Some of the Japanese kit makers seem to have figured that out.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to just touch it up with some paint as well until I started using the bare metal foil. I find if you cut the part from the tree leaving a little bit excess plastic on the part, you can widdle the excess of with your hobby blade leaving a nice, smooth, almost unnoticeable area in which to lay paint or BMF. Try not to cut too close to the part as you may end up taking a small chunk out if it (especially smaller parts or exterior parts)