Model Cars Magazine Forum

Working Rear Shocks and Driveshaft with articulated U-joints

Scale-Master

For my current Super Seven build...

All scratchbuilt. The shocks are mostly brass (soldered together) with some aluminum and delrin.

The driveshaft is mostly aluminum with some brass and steel pins for the pivot points. SMS Hi-Def C/F decal for the shaft.

Sad part is these items are hard to see even if the car is turned over... like that ever mattered before on this project...

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

Usually I use telephone, or bell wire to wind my 1/12 scale springs. But these actually are from the kit, (one of the dozen or so parts I'm actually keeping from it). Just wind it around the appropriate diameter of brass tubing, paintbrush handle, knife handle, etc...

Impressive as usual. When I grow up I want to be like Mark, or get a ruler that big :)

Where do you get delrin? I can't believe we threw away several tons (not thrown away, but sold as scrap I guess) when our factory closed :cry:

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I bought a stick of Delrin years ago and a friend gave me some remnants too, (I just found the stuff I bought). I got it at my regular metal supply shop. A little lasts me a long time... It has some neat properties, but is not a required material for much modeling.

I got a lot done on the car yesterday, at least assembly wise, it finally looks like a potential car after over two years of building, not just a shelf of parts and sub-assemblies, more pictures soon...

And yep, you caught me...

da-truth.jpg

Officially a WIP. After over two years of building, it's not just a shelf of parts and sub-assemblies.

I got a lot done on it yesterday, at least assembly wise, it finally looks like a potential car.

The suspension is bolted on for alignment so I can take measurements and make some more parts, but I am now in the process of replacing the phillips heads with hex heads. I need to make about 50 just to change over what I have assembled here...

DSC00105Copy.jpg

DSC00109Copy.jpg

DSC00112Copy.jpg

Im going to quit stating the obvious, but I do have a question for you.

Whats with the cones and hemispheres sticking out? Is that for it to glue on to the engine and filters?

Yes, they are to positively locate the parts. But this is the secondary fuel and nitrous delivery system, one side gets the Weber side draft throttle bodies, (not air cleaners), the other mounts to the head...

Yes, they are to positively locate the parts. But this is the secondary fuel and nitrous delivery system, one side gets the Weber side draft throttle bodies, (not air cleaners), the other mounts to the head...

I expect to see the dyno sheet when its done.

As complete as it can be before installation into the frame. I don't know exactly how many pieces are in/on it without going through my notes, but there are hundreds and hundreds... Some of the parts were made two years ago and have been waiting. What a fun project! More to come... DSC09987C.jpg

DSC09992C.jpg

DSC09988C.jpg

DSC09990C.jpg

Mark,

Double check the cams. I think the left one is 1 degree off.... And here we go again with that darn big ruler...... :D

I don't have anything else to say since I ran out of expressions for your work....

Note to self: When I grow up......

Thanks,