Model Cars Magazine Forum

Street charger

I have always wanted one of the 1/16th street chargers since seeing one at K-B toys back in the 80s. I never bought it then later it was gone. So when they were re-issued I bought several.

I have a few 1/16th scale kits, and I have been surveying them to see what kind of parts are available for kit bashing.

The older issues of the 1957 Corvette have a nice set of Eagle GTs, as well as BBS wheels. (the 90s issue of the 57 vette only has skinny firestones)

The DOH charger has Vector wheels and what appear to be 70s racing tires

Still not sure quite what to do with my Street Chargers, but I am getting the urge to build one.

Back in the 70s where there cars running around as depicted in the kit with a super charger and those wild rear tires sticking out several inches from the fender?

Were BBS three piece golden lace wheels commonly seen on cars like a Charger back in the 70s?

Anyone else planning to build one of these? Have any ideas? Not a huge aftermarket for 1/16th but there dare a few wheels out there.

I will keep researching and see if anything strikes me.

Back in the 70s where there cars running around as depicted in the kit with a super charger and those wild rear tires sticking out several inches from the fender?

That's right ! Ha ha ha ha ! "Negative-Offset" wheels (gross) , radiused wheel openings , fender flares , hood scoops , and GMC huffers sticking through an opening in the hood , were common sights .

Some states had vehicle motor codes / rules / regulations which made certain modifications illegal for on-road vehicles ; however , like anything , this did little to prevent these "Street Freaks" from prowling the boulevard .I grew up right along the crusing corridor known as Whittier Boulevard .

I'd see all kinds of vehicles , from stone stock V.W.'s to '66 Chevelles with 8-71 Jimmy's and Doug's side pipes , to Lowriders and Kustoms , and hybrids thereof (something about seeing a '67 Camaro with a traditional Lowrider paint scheme , but with a Pro Stock type hood scoop and Ansen Sprints , that really attracted my attention :) ).

Were BBS three piece golden lace wheels commonly seen on cars like a Charger back in the 70s?

Not that I can recall . BBS wheels were more of an 80's thing , and even then were *typically* limited to European cars . However , there were a few F-100's ('53-'56 models) and '55-'59 Chevy / GMC trucks with big-for-the-time 15" - 16" BBS wheels . I thought that those looked nice !

Nothing preventing you from adding these wheels to your Charger . I say , Go for it !

Do a google search for "70's Street Freaks" B)

For a more period look there are a variety of resin options available- nothing says 70s like a set of Aluminum slots with the back tires hanging out.

Cragars are pretty much timeless (and are available aftermarket or were in the AMT Chevies) or how about a nice set of "Daisy" mags?

Great Ideas. I look through almost all the covers of Hot Rod magazine from the 70s, and Cragars definitely look like the way to go along with Yellow/Orange graphics. There is a seller on eBay with several 1/16th wheels. So a street freak will be a fun project.

It is fun to see the mild to wild factory combinations, you could get an SE with a half vinyl top, white wall tires and the same hubcaps that came on a Dart, to the R/T .

it would be fun to try and make a SE ... The wheels would be the issue. This is where I think 3D printing will be really useful for modelers, making wheels and hub caps.

I have an old original issue "street Charger" awaiting a full rebuild one day.....plus an assortment of old 1/16 Revell F/car parts to mix'n'match with it.

Centreline rims will most likely be my choice of rolling stock.....but it's some time off yet. :(

Also have an old (I think it's original) DOH Charger. It is complete, but already pulled apart when I got it. Not sure what it will end up being built as... :unsure:

Good luck with your build when you get to it Kurt.