Model Cars Magazine Forum

paint bleed thru question

I have just opened this box and the parts are all molded in grey. My question is has anyone else built this model? If so, will the grey bleed thru primer and paint? I have no intention of using this color...UGH!
So if anyone has any thoughts about this let me know.
Thanks

post-11131-0-30196900-1367516698_thumb.j

Thanks gents! I didn't think there would be a problem, but thought I would ask because I knew there was folks on here that could answer.
Thanks again

I am also considering chopping the top, has anyone done that to this? It looks pretty straight forward. I can't believe how thin the plastic is, almost to the point of being flimsy.

Guest G Holding

I use a lot of grey primers, so I don't think there is anything to worry about. As far as chopping goes, this one is not too bad, you will need to cut the top into 4 parts or 6 depending on how the posts line up. Not much different than a sedan.

Heres a good hot rodding "primer"

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=517&st

Edited by G Holding

I am also considering chopping the top, has anyone done that to this? It looks pretty straight forward. I can't believe how thin the plastic is, almost to the point of being flimsy.

The easiest way to chop a '32 closed car is to keep the B-pillars lined up and bring the roof straight down, while slightly leaning the A-pillars (windshield pillars) BACK to correct the alignment, and slightly reworking / filling the mis-alignment of the C-pillars. Though this is a '32 coupe, if you take about 3.5 scale inches out of the Vicky, your pillars will end up with about this much mis-alignment.

DSCN6782.jpg

You can see that a gentle tweeking of the windshield pillars will correct the alignment without having to resort to cutting the roof into sections, and reshaping of the rear quarter pillars will accomplish the same thing on that end. Again, bring the B-pillars STRAIGHT DOWN, and reshape the front and rears. The Vicky will be a little worse at the rear than this coupe, but not too horribly much. I just looked at a '32 Vicky body of my own to verify this.

I did have a problem with gray plastic. Revell of Germany Mercedes DTM car had the main body in grey and the running bord/lower sills molded in white. When they were primed using Plastikote T235 sandable white primer there was a noticeable difference in the parts. I sprayed some BIN sealer and more primer to correct and it came out perfectly matched. BIN sealer is excellent for this but it is better airbrushed because the cans spray terribly.