Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '62 Corvette Roadster 2'n1

Dr. Cranky

Well not to add to the growling and barking, but yeah - in addition to Carl's info above, the new '62 has metal pin axles while the '58-9 did not, the '58-9 has posable steering while the new '62 does not, the tires were all-new for each kit and totally distinct in design from one another - and that's just from recalling a kit I haven't pulled out of the stash in at least 7 years.

It may have more master patterns in common with the diecast '62, but again, the parts breakdown is totally different. And while the plastic '62 seems to home in on individual details in a crisper and more precise way, the Route 66 diecast does manage to avoid the new kit's pudgy and rotund rear quarter contours, and I think its front wheel arches are a touch closer than the new one's, too.

Diggin' that gasser, though.

At this point I'm beginning to wonder if something hasn't happened to the '58/'59 tooling. Those kits were only ever run the one time each, and haven't seen the light of day since. It's getting close to 15 years since those kits were issued, I can't believe they haven't been reissued yet - but we've gotten a reissue of the '99 Lightning kit what seems like every other year.

Edited by niteowl7710

It is odd they haven't been reissued...would have thought vintage Corvettes would always sell, and the '59 had the optional big wheels that would fit in with Revell's more recent 'Motor City Muscle' or 'California Wheels' series...

Edited by Rob Hall

I wouldn't have thought a bone stock '65 Impala Convertible - even if it was representing the last 409 powered cars - would have been a great sales leader either, but eventually they reissued that this past year. Hopefully one or both of them are on the '14 lists, I still haven't gotten a '59, and prices are ridonkulous on eBay anymore assuming you can even find one.

Edited by niteowl7710

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know what interior color this car was in real life?

The Glasses Gasser II? Pretty sure it's black. I think the dash is body color with a black pad. I've got some pics somewhere, I'll check.

EDIT: found 'em. Real car has a non-stock custom interior...

ggint-vi.jpg

ggint2-vi.jpg

Edited by Brett Barrow

Cool, thanks a lot. I am doing one for SA mag review but of course it only brings the factory stock looking interior. I am not allowed to alter anything but I know which colors are correct now. Thanks again my friend!