Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clark Gas Station Project

Repstock

Did the outside box hold the entire inventory, or were some cases kept inside in order to fill the box as needed?

Box had all brands,,,,top sellers had a full carton, slow sellers had a 1/2 carton outside....as sold we did restock non stop!

Tom , the pumps are Tokiem series 461's 1962-1970. These pumps inner workings dated to the earlier "Explorer's " ( 1958-61 ) The sheet metal however was new . They pretty much remained the same up to the last of the mechanical era when the "MEM'S electronic pumps took over in 1972. Ed Shaver

Tom , the pumps are Tokiem series 461's 1962-1970. These pumps inner workings dated to the earlier "Explorer's " ( 1958-61 ) The sheet metal however was new . They pretty much remained the same up to the last of the mechanical era when the "MEM'S electronic pumps took over in 1972. Ed Shaver

Ed, I had a feeling you would know. Thank you! That's about as precise a response as I could hope for!

WOW, Tom! :) :) :)

That office, and everything else you've done so far has left me both at a loss for words, and salivating uncontrollably!

Everything looks AMAZING !!!!!

Oh... don't forget to change those furnace filters regularly... Gotta keep those oil cans lookin' nice and sparkly! :D

I look at those pictures again and I guess a lot depends on when a given station switched from 'full service' to 'self serve'. I don't think the cigs would be outside if the station was was self serve. That doesn't mean the boxes on the light poles still wouldn't be there. In the picture of the girl filling her Fiat 850, you can still see the bell ringer hose running from the pumps like a full service station.

I got my license in 1980 and a few friends worked at full service stations while in high school. Two service bays and open until 10PM. A friend of mine worked at a Mobil station in Grosse Pointe, MI and along with the bright white exterior, I remember the counter in the office, the oil cans, the candy machine, the cigarette machine, the old 'slider' credit card 'machine' with carbon copy slips, gumball machines and road maps. I like seeing the changes in culture from one time to another. This is one of the reasons I like this build so much.

Edited by Swifster

Break2.jpgBreak3.jpg

Break.jpg

I'm going to build a truck. I'll post it in the truck section when I get enough done. I've been living and breathing this project, and I will return to it, but I need a break for awhile. I'll post more in this thread when I get back to this project.

Thank you for all the help, and all the input.

• 2 months later...

This may or may not mean a thing to you but my Grandfather Emory Clark was the founder if Clark Oil back in the 1930’s. I didn’t have a roll in the company but growing up in the family these stations where a big part for my life. Looking at this model brings back a flood of memories. You have done a first class job so far and I would love to see photo of the finished model.

Steve Clark

This may or may not mean a thing to you but my Grandfather Emory Clark was the founder if Clark Oil back in the 1930’s. I didn’t have a roll in the company but growing up in the family these stations where a big part for my life. Looking at this model brings back a flood of memories. You have done a first class job so far and I would love to see photo of the finished model.

Steve Clark

I does mean a lot to me. What are the odds you'd find this build? I've had a lot of help from people on this board, and the building is much more accurate than it would have been without them. I haven't forgotten it, I just need to finish a few things first.

I did get both toilets finished, I guess that's SOME progress.

Thanks for the compliments, and stay tuned. I will return to this and finish it!

-Tom