Model Cars Magazine Forum

First On Race Day (also first completion of 09)

diymirage

well, here she is

my 1953 ford pick up with trailer

the idea of this build was to make the two as a matching set

the paints are duplicolour gunmetal and krylon fire red

first of the trailer

IMG00035-20090620-2116.jpg

this is a pretty straight forward trailer

no mods on this one

the frame is gunmetal, the bodywork and plates are fire red

(the GTX is a car i build earlyer that just matches this ride perfect)

rims on the trailer are mopar rallys from a challenger (i think)

next up, the truck

tons of cumstom parts on this one (some from the kit some from myself)

working our way from the front to the back

the front bumper has been removed and the face of the car is a custom grille

i decided to paint the headlights yellow to make it look more "period correct"

the holes in the front where the bumper used to poke through were filled in with bullet nerfs

IMG00034-20090620-2115.jpg

underneath the hood lies a build ford flathead engine

the intake is suplied by a custom adapted dual carb intake from a mustang

the exhaust manifolds are alf stock and go into chromed collectors from a lindberg 40s coupe

each collector is straight piped into a stack from the lil red express truck kit (thank you bill rules for the stacks and thank you edshaver for the advise on how to build the flathead)

IMG00038-20090620-2118.jpg

IMG00039-20090620-2120.jpg

IMG00041-20090620-2121.jpg

IMG00025-20090616-1923.jpg

the spark plug wires are 20 gauge and a little to big

next time i will use 22 gauge

all this power is hooked up to a set of custom adapted deep mopar rally wheels

(remember i want to keep the truck and trailer matching)

the rims on the truck have a deeper dish then the trailer though

the front ones are wrapped in goodyear GT radials while the rear rims wear mickey thompson sportsmans

the bed had to be tubbed to fit these massive tires (thank you spike for the tires)

on the outside the wheels are shielded by custom fenders

the fenders are fitted with corvette taillights

the rear bumper was also removed and replaced with a rear roll pan

(i did this as an afterthought after the body was painted wich is why it is not molded in)

finally the stock tailgate was replaced with a custom shaved version

the ford decal is also from the lindberg coupe

topping everything of is a chome license plate frame attached to the rear rollpan

IMG00037-20090620-2117.jpg

thank you to everyone who supplied parts and advice for this build and as always any feedback is apreciated :lol:

I like your build. You're right. It does give a perfect spot to display your GTX. I like the mix of the custom parts on the pickup. I think it turned out well. I would also agree that next time you should use smaller plug wires. Makes me wonder how you got all of them on that little distributor. :lol: Still, it is a great build and one to be proud of.

Later-

I thought ya had some kinda of "custom" water pump with them hoses. Don't feel bad though, I used to use phone wire for mine before I got on the internet and realized how out of scale they were. (still did even at first) The best size of wire to use is just a tad thicker than sewing thread. Try buying a prewired distributor from an after market company. Look and ask around where to buy them. When you get one in your hands, you will see how much smaller the wire is. I would recommend a place for you, but I don't hardly buy them because I got a bunch long time ago and don't always use them. Parts by Parks has some shawdy ones, but they will work and look decent. Pro Tech make a nice one with boot material, you buy the wire seperate. http://www.protechmodelparts.com/

distributorkit-vi.jpg

Replicas and Miniatures has a really nice cap and has the crab style for some flatheads. You can see catalog here http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc...casminiatureof/

This is the cap.

PICT0021-vi.jpg

Check around....there are many sources. ;)

I like your build. You're right. It does give a perfect spot to display your GTX. I like the mix of the custom parts on the pickup. I think it turned out well. I would also agree that next time you should use smaller plug wires. Makes me wonder how you got all of them on that little distributor. :lol: Still, it is a great build and one to be proud of.

Later-

there is no distributor :rolleyes:

all the plug wires are added together around a small styren shaft

then the bottom 1/8 of the wires have been wrapped in MBF and that is my dizzy

i have bought prewired ones before but im just out experimenting ;)

im thinking this combo will be my main display now and whatever model i want to show wil take the plae of the GTX on the trailer :lol:

You did a pretty nice job, except of course for those ignition wires, which look to be about the size of a heavy-duty garden hose!

Not too late to take them out and add a distributor and in-scale wires...

i got some 22 gauge wire on order

who knows, if that works out i might replace them

but then i got to redo the valvecovers because the holes the ignition wires go into are to large ;):lol:

garden hose you say ?

it might look decent as aftermarket radiator hose on an import

i got some 22 gauge wire on order

who knows, if that works out i might replace them

but then i got to redo the valvecovers because the holes the ignition wires go into are to large ;):lol:

garden hose you say ?

it might look decent as aftermarket radiator hose on an import

Looks good!

22 ga is still too big for spark plug wires. You want something only about .010" - .011" diameter including insulation for realism. I think 32 gauge with the insulation on looks pretty good.

The truck and trailer look good. As for plug wires I belive that the wire I use is either a 30 or 32 gauge wire. I know some guys buy wrapping wire at radio shack and use it. I think it is 30 gauge.

Ron

thanks

i got some wire on order and ill see how that works